tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about one more then a few times on some kind of down stream powered turbine or pelton wheel apparatus when I lived within walking distance to a gold bearing river. There in the late 80's was a small silver mine up around Libby Montana, that still used a large pelton wheel to power the generator. The pelton was made of cast iron maybe a hundred years old and still worked like a charm. One of my ideas was to construct something out of pvc material. Had to be made lite so I could pack it around. If you like tomato juice you could maybe go with this plan ??

Attachments

• pelton wheel.jpg
    pelton wheel.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Next you need to come up with a reduction gearbox to allow the rotation of the wheel to provide enough torque to turn the drum.
A worm gear drive comes to mind.

If you do build a pelton wheel driven drum, consider mounting the wheel in an enclosure above the end of the hopper toward the drum so that the water that turns the wheel can empty into the hopper and not be wasted.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty cool setup. I know what you mean about no wasting the water and using it to wash the gravel. Just need to figure out how.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool setup. I know what you mean about no wasting the water and using it to wash the gravel. Just need to figure out how.

He put his wheel enclosure above the hopperless drum and used a spout instead of a spray bar.

Last edited:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how do you combine the wheel with flowing water to not need gasoline to power your tromel?

https://youtu.be/MHFHIqhkfrs

Not sure how big or many of those you would need but you could potentially power an electric pump with them? You obviously need a certain amount of flow to run them with.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how do you combine the wheel with flowing water to not need gasoline to power your tromel?

Not sure how big or many of those you would need but you could potentially power an electric pump with them? You obviously need a certain amount of flow to run them with.

Easier to run a gasoline powered pump but it could be done with a water source high enough above your operation running a hose downhill, same principal that powered the old hydraulic monitors.

The video you posted reminded me of the 12v generator I had on my bicycle when I was a kid 60+ years ago, still sold today...............
nokia-bicycle-charger-kit-bottle-dynamo-electric-generator.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had one of those on my bike to for a head lamp

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'm still going to use a gas pump to turn the pelton wheel.

5ana3

Greenie
May 11, 2011
Hi I built a BIY trommel that I powered with a pelton wheel and it worked very well. It was a piece of 14" x 9' plastic sewer pipe that was enclosed with 2 different sizes of spread metal. The output of two different sizes went down two different sluces. I would be glad to send pics if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks 5ana3

5ana3

Greenie
May 11, 2011
trommell 001.jpg 100_4768.JPG 100_5056.JPG

Attachments

• 100_4697-001.JPG
    100_4697-001.JPG
    803.4 KB · Views: 204
  • pelton wheel3 001.jpg
    pelton wheel3 001.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_4782.JPG