Trommel drum degree

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I.M.H.O. the trommel needs to be material specific! some material needs to be washed really good where other material is relatively clean. Speed is another specific that should be variable for the conditions. BUT Im NO expert except for pressing the buttons on my remote control and tipping cold ones while sitting back in my lazy boy recliner after a good nap for this F.O.G. on a nice sunny 70 degree day here in Misery!:occasion14:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a good degree to have the trommel drum at. I will make it so I can adjust, but what would be the average?

The way I set the angle on my drum is to start out at about 5-10 degrees and see if my tailings are clean and if the drum is keeping up with my feed rate.
I will increase the angle if need be to allow for faster feed rate but will lower the angle if the tailings are not being cleaned thoroughly.

It's sort of a trial and error but always be on the safe side by not starting out with too steep of an angle.

To set the drum speed.....

As a general rule you want the material to climb half way up the side of the drum and then tumble over in a continuous motion and that speed will be dependent on the diameter of the drum. Too fast and the critical speed at which centrifugal force causes material to climb too high up the sides will be reached. You don't want material staying against the side up to the point that it will be dropping onto the drum below from the top.

Spray bar gpm should be regulated to give your sluice the proper flow. Too slow and your sluice wont clear properly too fast and you may wash gold out.

GG~

Last edited:

CubbysGold

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any design suggestions for the scrubbing section of the drum?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread