Trommel noise reduction

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been looking at lots of trommels to get ideas for my build. I can't help but notice some work with mind numbing sound levels & others are slightly quieter. What are some thoughts about noise reduction in a trommel build?

Perforated rubber lining....maybe a piece of old conveyor belting.

Last edited:

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
headphones , lol , I have thought an insulated tarp like concrete company's use when its cold out , if it was strapped or taped around drum it would help sum ,, but I don't think its a total fix , usually I just talk louder to myself , lol , good luck

Lycof

Jul 29, 2017
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can also get DynaMat from a car stereo shop, cut it into squares to fit between the holes on the outside of your trommel. DynaMat is designed to dampen metal vibrations.

There is a similar material sold at home depot back by the air ducting. Is in a roll the size of duct tape. Soft rubber material with mega sticky glue. It is made to tape in water. Cant remember what is is called.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
All of the remedy's for the INSIDE of your trammel will wear out quickly! Instead spray on bed-liner for pickup trucks on the out side of the trammel to deaden the sound . You may need several coats to really dampen that sound. On my small crusher I used a old bicycle inner tube and wrapped it around the outside of it and it worked just fine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread