Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Trommel in ca question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2016
    402 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Trommel in ca question

Can anyone tell me if I made a 12v trommel is that illegal in ca because it's "motorized"? I haven't been able to find any info weather it would fall under a highbanker set up or not. Any info is much appreciated

us
    Mad Marshall

Nov 2012
    na
    1631 times
    Prospecting
    what does the trommel bein motorized have to do with anything?

https://www.amazon.com/Location-Vali.../dp/B0017DEKGO
    start from square one and learn what your talking about..

May 2016
    402 times

Trommel in ca question

Quote Originally Posted by MadMarshall View Post
    what does the trommel bein motorized have to do with anything?

https://www.amazon.com/Location-Vali.../dp/B0017DEKGO
    start from square one and learn what your talking about..
    So I keep reading and getting told that in ca you can't do anything motorized. I have herd about the ban on motorized dredging and I herd that you can high bank with a permit but I wasn't sure about a trommel. Looking for any valid info from anyone in ca that has had experience using a trommel that might help clarify. Some miners have told me they are illegal to use in ca and others have said they are just fine to use.

us
    Aug 2017
    Central Oregon.
    267 times
    How about making a water wheel and flex shaft to run the Trommel? That is what I would do, water powered like a sluice box, Gawwd I hate stupid regulations.
    Aufisher likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    9273 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gldguy1 View Post
    So I keep reading and getting told that in ca you can't do anything motorized. I have herd about the ban on motorized dredging and I herd that you can high bank with a permit but I wasn't sure about a trommel. Looking for any valid info from anyone in ca that has had experience using a trommel that might help clarify. Some miners have told me they are illegal to use in ca and others have said they are just fine to use.
    Just ignore the old farts that are bitter they are too old to mine. There is no law prohibiting motors for mining in California.

There is a non-existent permit system for dredging. How anyone could assume that non-existent permit has anything to do with motors or your trommel is beyond me.

We don't need make believe laws. Next time one of these old farts tell you that you can't run a motor tell them to produce a law or get back to their bong and recliner.

Heavy Pans

May 2016
    402 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Just ignore the old farts that are bitter they are too old to mine. There is no law prohibiting motors for mining in California.

There is a non-existent permit system for dredging. How anyone could assume that non-existent permit has anything to do with motors or your trommel is beyond me.

We don't need make believe laws. Next time one of these old farts tell you that you can't run a motor tell them to produce a law or get back to their bong and recliner.

Heavy Pans
    Thank you sir for all the info and I agree with what you say.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8600 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    clay diggins is right: You're confusing mining laws (things that silt rivers) with trommels.

Unless you were intending to use a trommel in a river and treat it as a prospecting tool for nuggets or something ? I'm lost. Isn't trommels on dry land , hence having nothing to do with dredging and sluicing in water ?

May 2016
    402 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    clay diggins is right: You're confusing mining laws (things that silt rivers) with trommels.

Unless you were intending to use a trommel in a river and treat it as a prospecting tool for nuggets or something ? I'm lost. Isn't trommels on dry land , hence having nothing to do with dredging and sluicing in water ?
    My intent was to just use the trommel on dry land but when I asked around I was told because it was motorized it wasn't allowed, I appreciate everyone's input on this, thank you

Charter Member
    us
    Mine President, XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    534 times
    Prospecting
    There some bitter old farts in one of my prospecting clubs that will tell you that using a sluice is illegal, and by tell I mean jump down your throat.
    Clay Diggins and Goldwasher like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8600 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by gldguy1 View Post
    .... but when I asked around I was told because it was motorized it wasn't allowed,...
    Who told you this ? Did you tell them it was on dry land, and not a sluice/dredge in a river ?

As for "asking around" and getting odd answers: It's sort of like asking a bunch of people "Can I pick my nose ?". You will eventually find someone to tell you "No, you can't pick your nose".

Hence I do not ask silly questions to bored bureaucrats, when it comes to metal detecting pursuits. Lest you bump into arbitrary whimsical "safe" answers. Or ... even answers with no bearing in actual law .
    gldguy1 likes this.

us
    j

Dec 2012
    wisconsin
    whites mxt
    176 times
    Prospecting
    how are you moving water through your trommel and sluice

May 2016
    402 times
    So I was asking a few fellow miners out at the river a while back if they had ever used a trommel and they said no those are illegal in ca due to the fact they have motors. My reply was even to sift dirt and they said yeh. My though was hooking up a system like what I saw some guy use where your using it on dry land and using a series of buckets and pans to get your water from, like in the photo I attached. I have never used a trommel but seems like those who do have great results with them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508994541.139897.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	488.6 KB 
ID:	1509300

us
    j

Dec 2012
    wisconsin
    whites mxt
    176 times
    Prospecting
    you should be fine , if you start pumping water out of a waterway , they will mess with you
    and yes I do run a slightly larger trommel in cali . mine did require permiting
    Last edited by dredgernaut; Oct 26, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    gldguy1 likes this.

May 2016
    402 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dredgernaut View Post
    you should be fine , if you start pumping water out of a waterway , they will mess with you
    and yes I do run a slightly larger trommel in cali . mine did require permiting
    Thank you for your input, I figure I will just mess around this winter make my own out of some pvc and see what happens.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10690 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    they may try and mess with you for pumping water,There is however no actual law against it.

Just don't let the discharge dump right back into the water way.

A recirc trommel sounds like one of the least fun ways to run material I can think of. You are going to have issues keeping the water right for running.
    Clay Diggins and gldguy1 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links