Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Building a Trommel

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2805 times
    Prospecting
    How about just using wooden shims for fine tuning? https://www.google.com/search?q=wood...hrome&ie=UTF-8. A sliding base that fits over the end of the legs could facilitate them to make it easier to drive them in between the base and the leg ends if you see what I mean. Other than that just have them lay flat on the ground.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Dec 21, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
    akflyer likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Jun 2017
    148 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    that's a thought. Was thinking jack screws on the sluice runs top and bottom as well to tune them. Will see how it comes together when I get home again. The darn ground got a little stiff on me so I am not sure when I will get a chance to run some dirt through it but I need to get it done and wrapped up and off to the powder coaters so I can move onto the next project.

us
    j

Dec 2012
    wisconsin
    whites mxt
    281 times
    Prospecting
    I use highbanker legs under my sluices. bolt right on and fully adjustable. and trommel legs are threaded rod with adjuster nut to set height and small feet welded to bottom so it does not sink in.
    also for the record aluminum can totally handle the work. my drum is made of 1/4 inch aluminum, it has seen thousands of rocks up to 5 inch . minimal interior dings in wall. no dents or bends, it was worth the extra money for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8895.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	1662863
    also a chain and sprocket are overkill. a trommel this size can run off a belt around drum with a simple belt tensioner.
    Last edited by dredgernaut; Dec 22, 2018 at 08:36 AM.
    akflyer likes this.

Jun 2017
    148 times
    I really like your trommel. Probably go with aluminum frame for my larger one. Will see if I keep the barrel I have now or if I make a new one from Aluminum like yours. For the area I would be using the larger one in weight really would not be an issue for me though.

dredgernaut likes this.

us
    j

Dec 2012
    wisconsin
    whites mxt
    281 times
    Prospecting
    when I first built it I had to carry it in over rough terrain. the drum is akward to get on my shoulder , but once its up I can carry it a long ways. kinda helps I have been carrying lumber on my shoulders for 27 years though. I would like to build a small screener (maybe 5 inches) with feed conveyor. it would regulate my feed rate, bucket loads seem to send a surge wave through the system on occasion. but if I have an oversize hopper under screener and over feed conveyor. it would be able to keep up with feeding on a very steady rate without surging or without running short on material. I think anyways. lol. gonna try to build it this winter.
    akflyer and N-Lionberger like this.

Jun 2017
    148 times
    With the ground being frozen this project took a back burner for a few months. Now that things are thawing out again I am hoping to get back on it. Too many projects, too little time.

I have a 4X8 CNC plasma table on the way so my next barrel will be cut on the table then rolled. Should speed the process way up!

Anyone else been building new toys in the off season?
    dredgernaut likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links