Water Powered Trommel - Runs 1 Yard/Hr

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it!

Wish I could shovel a yard of material in an hour or even in 4 hours :tongue3:

GG~

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it!

Wish I could shovel a yard of material in an hour or even in 4 hours :tongue3:

GG~
I knew a guy that hired a kid to do it. The kid was like 15 or 16 and was a shoveling machine.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew a guy that hired a kid to do it. The kid was like 15 or 16 and was a shoveling machine.

Last time I went to Thermal City gold mine in North Carolina and bought a yard of pay dirt to feed my trommel, a teenager from the crew next to me pitched in to help me shovel while I was taking another break. Oh to be a teenager again :headbang:

Nowadays since we moved to Arizona I mostly just swing my detector and my wife helps me feed my small drywasher. Not that I need the help but I just like to watch her handle the shovel. :wink:

20190929_124802.jpg 20190910_124030.jpg

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Where The Four Winds Blow
Primary Interest:
Other
You'd have to have super rich material running through that trommel at one yard per hour to make any money. Why not build something bigger? At least 5 yards per hour to make money.

OP
OP
C

Chris.Atom

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd have to have super rich material running through that trommel at one yard per hour to make any money. Why not build something bigger? At least 5 yards per hour to make money.

These machines are designed for the hobbyists.

If you are going to be running 5 yards an hour you are going to need some sort of equipment to load your trommel. This is meant to be used with a shovel, as we have strict rules and regulations in Canada about how to load your equipment ect.

We do build machines that can process larger amounts such a 5-10 yard machines, but for our application, and for the hobbyists....this machine is PERFECT! It can even be almost too much for one person at times. BUT for the young guys who like to run as much dirt as they can..... personally by their own shovel, it is definitely the way to go. Because again, once you start getting into those larger processing machines, you are going to start needing permits, and claims ect. A lot of guys are not interested in going that hard.....which is kind of our main demographic. But that is also why we do custom larger equipment, because every miner has their specific wants, and needs. :-)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's for shoveling into. A yard an hour by hand is pretty good. you may get more through it if you have a pile.

Anyone who thinks shoveling a yard in an hour isn't very much. Hasn't mixed concrete before.

Guys here talk about taking a day to classify thirty gallons of material.

A small portable machine that runs a wet yard in an hour is AWESOME for one guy to have available to him.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These machines are designed for the hobbyists.

If you are going to be running 5 yards an hour you are going to need some sort of equipment to load your trommel. This is meant to be used with a shovel, as we have strict rules and regulations in Canada about how to load your equipment ect.

We do build machines that can process larger amounts such a 5-10 yard machines, but for our application, and for the hobbyists....this machine is PERFECT! It can even be almost too much for one person at times. BUT for the young guys who like to run as much dirt as they can..... personally by their own shovel, it is definitely the way to go. Because again, once you start getting into those larger processing machines, you are going to start needing permits, and claims ect. A lot of guys are not interested in going that hard.....which is kind of our main demographic. But that is also why we do custom larger equipment, because every miner has their specific wants, and needs. :-)

I rarely think a new "machine" is an improvement or advancement for small scale (not hobbiest) prospectors.

Your water powered trommel project is the rare case where i'm Like..YES YES YES we need this!!

Nice work. let me know if you need a field tester :thumbsup:

Are you trying to make it an after market add on for guys who have sluice/leg sets already?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an expensive hobby & back breaking work to boot. I think it would be more fun to use something bigger, let equipment do the work, & make money while your at it. That little trommel is nice but only a toy.

I 'm not sure you understand what govt regulations means. Youre saying "why not just use an excavator and loader" when govt is saying you WILL NOT dig with more than a handheld shovel.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silveraith, please read our rules and post by them. There is link in my signature if you dont know how to find them. No insulting members, no attacking members.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I went to Thermal City gold mine in North Carolina and bought a yard of pay dirt to feed my trommel, a teenager from the crew next to me pitched in to help me shovel while I was taking another break. Oh to be a teenager again :headbang:

Nowadays since we moved to Arizona I mostly just swing my detector and my wife helps me feed my small drywasher. Not that I need the help but I just like to watch her handle the shovel. :wink:

Go for the Gold
GG~

Just found the video of the teenager feeding my 15" trommel......

You have to click on the "watch this video on youtube" link to view it because I cant remember my login info to redo the settings :icon_scratch:

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread