UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
"American Pickers" TV show

There's a show on my cable channel called "American Pickers"
about two guys who buy items for their antiques store.
They go around the country and find other people's 'junk' then
bring it back and sell it in their shop.

Sounds like a cool business.

Seen it?

Then I change the channel and there's a show called "Hoarders."
People who are obsessive/compulsive and they load up their
house with so much trash you cannot even sit down.

My Question: Why don't they send those Picker guys to the Hoarders houses
and solve two problems at once??
:tongue3:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "American Pickers" TV show

Wouldn't be a bad idea, but unfortunately the hoarders seem to have mostly junk that is of little value :dontknow:

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

Ive watched it and try as i might i cant get to like the "pickers".I find it distasteful that they cold call people who may or may not know the true value of thier long kept items.
I think its important to remember we see what they want us to see , we dont see the true nature of the "business".Its little better than the cash for gold scam.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The show is interesting, but I find the guys annoying.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida

I have watched all the shows so far and am not impressed. They really got me mad when they talked to an old farmer who was in WWII and they got his japanese sword for a few hundred and then were bragging about the profit. I hope these people that sell see the show and see what they lost.

My other concern is will this start a new trend of people going and knocking on doors or even reconizing some of these homeowners and going there to try and buy or possibly steal some of the junk they have.

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

Yeah, I know what you guys mean - - the pickers seem to thrive on
cheating the folks they are buying from.
On the one hand, the picker provides a service by bringing cash
to their door, but on the other, they are not being square with the owner.
With a little research the owners could get
a clue on the real value of their possessions - just
log on to an auction site, such as eBay, and you can
determine a fair selling price.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

last week I felt bad for that Guy with all the Acres of Junk
who Said the County told him
if he dosn't put up fences they will come
and haul everything to the dump
at his expense.

looked like he was going to cry.

now that would be theft.
and i'd bet the haulers would
pick through it at the landfill
and haul some loads home.

i hope they buy more from him so he can afford
help to get that fence up.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

I can see whats happened with the guy in need of the fence,decades ago i think that was actual motorcycle plots if you will , like an outdoor showroom of sorts.Fast forward a few decades and its all overgrown..whats left.I hope he does get his fence . . and a couple of big german shepards behind it to keep the pesky pickers out.

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

Let's see . . .

If two German Shepherds can eat one Picker in 4 days,
how many German shepherds would it take to eat . . .

Oh, never mind! :P

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

:icon_thumright: How many pickers would a guard dog pick if a guard dog could pick and would pick pickers :icon_thumleft:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I kinda' like the picker's show. To me it's kind of like treasure hunting. We dig something out of the ground and many times it just has intrinsic value or even monetary value and the preservation people often say we are stealing America's heritage. But if it is in the ground too long and rots away it is of no value to anyone is our claim. The pickers are the same. Most of the junk they buy at least the hoarder gets a few bucks out of it and otherwise it would eventually rot away and be of no value to anyone. A lot of their stuff needs cleaning up and fixing up before it can be sold. And if they are doing as much traveling around as it appears on the show they are spending a lot of money to make a profit that, afterall is their goal. But I do agree they sometimes gloat too much and that is annoying. On the other hand the Pawn Stars screw people out of their money a lot. And that is really annoying. Monty

B

BigDan

Problem would be the hoarders would never sell

As to opinions about the guys on "American Pickers", everyone is entitled to an opinion. Personally, I'd make a bet that their phone is ringing off the hook with people who want the "pickers" to come look at their stuff.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
I kinda' like the picker's show. To me it's kind of like treasure hunting. We dig something out of the ground and many times it just has intrinsic value or even monetary value and the preservation people often say we are stealing America's heritage. But if it is in the ground too long and rots away it is of no value to anyone is our claim. The pickers are the same. Most of the junk they buy at least the hoarder gets a few bucks out of it and otherwise it would eventually rot away and be of no value to anyone. A lot of their stuff needs cleaning up and fixing up before it can be sold. And if they are doing as much traveling around as it appears on the show they are spending a lot of money to make a profit that, afterall is their goal. But I do agree they sometimes gloat too much and that is annoying. On the other hand the Pawn Stars screw people out of their money a lot. And that is really annoying. Monty

I agree

& your right the Pawn stars are getting people
at their most Vaulnerable. when they need cash.
and do appear to take advantage.

when somone hauls something big and heavy in,
you know they don't wanna haul it back home.

Rick is very Irritating on Pawn stars.

"I Realy wanted that for my shop"

then why did he lowball them ?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ricks laugh is annoying. (Pawn Stars) Sounds like he's smoked a few too many Camels.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

I think the difference is with Pawn stars people have the intent to sell.They come to the buyer and therefore should have prepared themselves,after all most people know you wont get top dollar selling to a pawn store.
With the pickers its reversed,the people had no intent to sell and the buyer is soliciting the sell.To my mind thats whats distasteful about it.Throw in the gloating and you have stomach turning.Just my opinion,each to thier own.

B

BigDan

centfladigger said:
I have watched all the shows so far and am not impressed. They really got me mad when they talked to an old farmer who was in WWII and they got his japanese sword for a few hundred and then were bragging about the profit. I hope these people that sell see the show and see what they lost.

My other concern is will this start a new trend of people going and knocking on doors or even reconizing some of these homeowners and going there to try and buy or possibly steal some of the junk they have.

In an interesting twist, the daughter of that gentlemen called them back in the final episode of the season! The pickers took him a old sign, "Leland's Cafe", as a gift. They were welcomed back to buy more items. (Continued for length in following post.)

B

BigDan

My final thoughts as season one is over...

Yes, the pickers are doing it for a living. But, this isn't something new. The service they provide is sometimes a welcome one, as people don't know the value of items they store away. Many times, if you notice, the things being purchased are rusting away in the dirt or in leaky roofed out buildings. Barely more than trash piles...both the owners and the pickers profit from the knowledge the pickers possess.

I've seen some complain that the items the pickers buy end up on restaurant walls. I still fail to understand the problem with this. So people can see them and enjoy them, as opposed to being in a private collection?

Yes, the pickers cold call, and they are often told no. Mike Fox does have a type "A" personality, and that may be annoying to some people. On the other hand, some of the folks they've delt with, looked to me like they enjoyed his company. Frank, is certainly more introverted and I've noticed he has a harder time making "deals". I like 'em both...from what I've seen. But personalities, that's something that is pretty much just a matter of opinion.

I do agree that the show will cause folks to try this "picking" on their own. One of one hundred MIGHT have some success. The rest will give up at the first no, or the first time they buy something that costs them more than it's worth.

And, finally, I'll bet cash that since the show began airing, "Antique Archaeology" has it's phone ringing off the hook with persons wanting a visit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread