spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up with the Little Rascals as a kid, and still know almost every episode word for word. They were classics.. I always loved Spanky when he was a little baby, his expressions are priceless. On the first video, you will have to wait one minute before the clip begins. Enjoy

It is sad what happened to many of them later in life.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true">

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are way too man great shows to remember and yes, I do remember Uncle George from Africa. I don't recall the ice cream one with Stimie, but his funniest in my opinion was in dogs is dogs. That is where he talked about ham & eggs being able to talk. The line, They're saying hello to my stomach riiightt now :laughing9: Another was when they were going to be pirates when asked, "What kind of Cutlass do you want? I want a veal cutlass :laughing7:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spankie McFarland had an after school kiddie cartoon show Tulsa, Ok for 4 or 5 years when I was in 6th thru about 9th grade. Then he just kind of disappeared. He wore the same beanie he wore in the series and his looks hadn't changed much since he did the Little Rascals. Stymie was the little black kid that wore the tall hat I remember and he didn't say much but always made that double take surprise look when something happened. I loved the rascals and even the earlier ones with Jackie Cooper and "Chubby or Tubby" and the kid with the real low voice, "Froggie" I think, was a hoot. Alfalfa singing was always a treat even though he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. And of course Darla the sweetheart. They were so good. Monty

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are so right there Monty, all of those kids had great talent, and how could you ever forget Butch and Worm. :laughing7: They worked so well together and it seemed that although most episodes ran around Spanky and Alfalfa, all the other supporting members always had a funny contribution.

I remember when in the late 80's, or early 90's they tried to make a movie the "Little Rascals", all the kids just didn't seem as natural as the originals so in my opinion it was a failure. You will never see a group of kids like that again.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I remember the remake and it was a bomb as I recall. You are right, the talent wasn't up to par. But mainly I think it just didn't work with today's society. It has changed too much since the early days once portrayed. The original Rascals were portrayed during the depression and everyone was poor and there weren't so many toys for kids or TVs s or computers. What they played with was what they could put together on their own. I was a child of the 1950s and after WWII it was very much the same. There was a boom of GI housing and we use to go pick up scrap lumber and build soap box cars, swords and shields, and make slingshots out of inner tubes, and build tree houses, etc. Some of our ideas even came from the Little Rascals. I had a cowlick and my hair stood up in back like Alfalfa's and I had freckles too. Some of the kids made fun of me but it didn't bother me, and I was kinda' a tough kid so I didn't take too much teasing. We had fun and only played inside if it was storming or too cold out. Oh for the days. Monty

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I guess many of us did pick up some ideas from those little rascals for sure. I know that at one time we were going crazy looking for carriage wheels so we could make a hook & ladder like they had :laughing9:

You were also on the mark about how different and simple the time was back then. Even though I was a youngster in the early 60's I thought our time was almost as simple as theirs. I had a great thread a while back listing all the games we played and many added to it. Today's kids have no idea how to enjoy themselves in the fresh air.

Again, in my opinion this was my all time favorite show and still is :laughing9:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GopherDaGold said:
"Bug huntin!"
:D

Classic baby Spanky episode, I was rolling between him and his hammer and Petey slapping the roaches with his paw. After that the best part was interrupting the gangs play with, "there's a baby throwing money out the window". :laughing7: Almost every episode was a classic and I can still quote almost each episode word, for word.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread