Meteorite Men marathon on the Science Channel

kencasey

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADSIII
I just watched a 6-hour 'Meteorite Men' television marathon on The Science Channel.

It was fascinating to learn how to search for extraterrestrial treasures here on Earth. I learned a lot about metal detecting and geophysical surveying--so cool.

Has anyone else seen this series? What do you think?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had this some months back spread over a few weeks. Most felt it was a little doubtful due to their having found "million dollar" meteorites in the past yet still using an old Fisher 1266 and a really lashed together P.I. set up. Then each week they had better and better equipment but at the end of each episode the producers thanked various companies for the loan of the equipment. Making so much you would think they would buy the best to make the most of the time in the field.

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched that yesterday as well, ive known about Meteorite's but now i'm interested in them. I do not know of any close to me except the couple places they went in TX but still that's a ways from me. I do not have the time to take trips like that myself but I am interested in learnng more and trying to find closer locations for me to search. Maybe soon one will come falling in my area.

movieman990

Nov 22, 2007
kencasey said:
I just watched a 6-hour 'Meteorite Men' television marathon on The Science Channel.

It was fascinating to learn how to search for extraterrestrial treasures here on Earth. I learned a lot about metal detecting and geophysical surveying--so cool.

Has anyone else seen this series? What do you think?

I watched a few hours of this and decided I would stick with finding geodes instead....not as exciting perhaps, but more often rewarding. BUT, I might give this a BIT of a try.

Meanwhile I did some internet research on the big meteorite Steve Arnold found in 2005 and found this auction story (see link). I did not pursue it beyond this, so if anyone has info on whether or not it finally sold, I'd be interested in its current location.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305798,00.html

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They had one episode where they found a bunch of small meteorites all sitting on top of a remote dry lake bed within a few feet of each other looking pristine like they had just been put there. After they quickly picked them up, one said, "Well it's time to go find our trucks." As they walked away, you could see tire tracks leading right up to where the "finds" could have been previously tossed out. I don't trust the seeming spontaneity of any "reality" TV. The gold-panning treasure shows on the Travel Channel are also highly suspect for salting their finds. After all, those are really ads for the "pan all day for $50" businesses.

I guess I'm just getting suspicious in my old age. :-\

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the same Scrubber. You have an unsearched area across (was it a huge lake or river) that an expert thought would be the main impact point having tracked the scatter field. A no go area but they had been granted special permission for one day. Do they get a helicopter, no. They hike and boat, get to the site and say "o, times up, better get back". Weird.

MeteoriteMen

Sep 8, 2010
Dear Ken and all:

Thank you for watching our Meteorite Men marathon on Science Channel. I am glad you enjoyed it. We are hard at work on Season Two at the moment, and our premiere will be October 26 on Science Channel and Science Channel HD. Season Two consists of eight one-hour episodes, of which five are international adventures. We'll also be featuring a unique off-road motorcycle, made specially for us by Orange County Choppers of American Chopper fame.

I'd like to comment on a couple of the recent follow-up posts:

U.K. Brian: If you see any of the later episodes, you'll notice that we only used my old Fisher 1266 on the pilot. The meteorites at the Brenham, Kansas are far too deep to be found with a hand-held detector. We used the 1266 specifically for pinpointing during excavation, as it is tough, lightweight, and so very sensitive to iron. As for the "lashed together P.I. set up," try driving a PVC rig over Kansas furrowed fields for two years, and you'll see why it gets a little battered : ) We are continually repairing and revising the design, and more sophisticated versions of the rig will be seen in Season Two. One of the challenges -- obviously -- is that we cannot use any metal at all in the construction of the drag, as the coil would pick it up. Following the pilot, our friends as Fisher Labs asked us to field test the prototypes of their new F75 LTD (with booster). It's an amazing detector, and we've been using them ever since, along with the Pulse Star II Pro for deeply-buried targets. I consider these two detectors to be among the best of their type available today.

As for the time limits "Oh, time's up," we have -- several times -- generously been granted permits by the BLM and the Park Service to hunt in restricted areas for a limited amount of time. They're busy and have other things to worry about than monitoring us for extended periods. We did request a helicopter for the Gold Basin scout, but the Park Service felt it was too dangerous for us to land a helicopter on the bluffs on the north side of Lake Mead, so we had to go in by boat, as that was the only way.

scrubber: Regarding the Nevada dry lake bed episode, we were hunting (with express permission) on BLM land and it's illegal to take ATVs in the area, as it's protected. You're right, there were some ATV tracks on the lake bed, but they weren't ours. Someone had evidently been joy riding out there before us. We hiked several miles out to the spot, on foot. If you happen to watch that episode again, please look closely at some of the finds, and you'll notice that they are pedestalled. This is a geological term for rocks that are sitting up on a little sand or dirt "pedestal," as a result of the surrounding surface being eroded away over very long periods of time. It's a delicate natural feature and not really something you could fake, but there are always a few skeptics out there.

All of the finds made in Meteorite Men are entirely authentic. My co-host and I have 34 years of meteorite hunting experience between us, and own successful meteorite businesses, so faking finds for a TV show is not an option for us.

Thanks again for watching and for your comments. Please tune in to Science Channel on October 26 if you'd like to see more.

Respectfully,

Geoff of Meteorite Men
http://www.meteoritemen.com
http://science.discovery.com/tv/meteorite-men
http://www.facebook.com/meteoritemen
http://twitter.com/meteoritemen
http://www.aerolite.org

mm-art.jpg

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I enjoyed the show my wife and I watched it from start to end and I recorded it. I look forward to more. I am new at taking Metal Detecting serouis and your show has got me going even more. I just wish I knew a close by area to search for meteorite's now.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geoff,

Thanks for posting and telling us a bit more about your show. I had never heard of your show until last weekend when I also watched the marathon. I thought it was cool to see a show with people using metal detectors without it being an advertisement from a manufacturer. I had wondered if you guys would have ever found the forums here.

Have you tried other metal detectors besides the ones mentioned? The reason I ask is that my newest detector has a meteorite program in it (Whites V3i). I do not know if I ever will get a chance to hunt using that program, but there must be enough people wanting it for the company to include it.

When I was young I used to fossil hunt quite a bit in the spring before crops were planted and I remember finding a heavy for its size dark small rock that seemed to be really out of place. I kept it and put it away with my arrowheads. Now I am going to have to dig it out and have another look and see if there is a chance it could be a meteorite.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MeteoriteMen said:
scrubber: Regarding the Nevada dry lake bed episode, we were hunting (with express permission) on BLM land and it's illegal to take ATVs in the area, as it's protected. You're right, there were some ATV tracks on the lake bed, but they weren't ours. Someone had evidently been joy riding out there before us. We hiked several miles out to the spot, on foot. If you happen to watch that episode again, please look closely at some of the finds, and you'll notice that they are pedestalled. This is a geological term for rocks that are sitting up on a little sand or dirt "pedestal," as a result of the surrounding surface being eroded away over very long periods of time. It's a delicate natural feature and not really something you could fake, but there are always a few skeptics out there.

All of the finds made in Meteorite Men are entirely authentic. My co-host and I have 34 years of meteorite hunting experience between us, and own successful meteorite businesses, so faking finds for a TV show is not an option for us.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes me feel much better about your show. :thumbsup: I've watched every episode.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Somethings just dawned on me, when I see that theres people out there hunting for meteors.

The house I used to live in, in the South East of Ireland, had a twelve foot deep privet hedge along the boundary.
One evening I was standing outside watching a meteor shower (a common occurrence there, with no light pollution!)when there was an unmerciful crack from just above my head, to the right of me. A red glowing object whizzed by my face, and disappeared into the side of the hedge. It had walloped the apex of the concrete tool shed beside me, broken a roof slate and some of the concrete fascia rendering. Had it not been redirected I think I might have got it in the head!

The entry hole in the hedge was about the size of tennis ball. Privet is a very fast growing hedge so I put a rock on the ground where it went in, as I was going away for a week. I was curious to see if I could find it when I returned.
When I got back there was a two foot diameter circle of dead leaves in the entry area. The weird thing about this is that the circle remained like that for nearly two years, whereas the rest of the hedge needed cutting every six to eight weeks!
I made a few halfhearted attempts to find what I now am starting to realise could be valuable!!!! The hedge fought me every step of the way. I gave up! Had I any inclination at the time there could be cash involved, it would have been time to fire up the chainsaw! Or the flamethrower!

I'm off now to check the price of meteorites on the web. Have a feeling I'm not going to like what i see!!!

Spaceballs

Rory

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread