Metal Detecting reality show?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

View Poll Results: Would you watch a reality show about metal detecting?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

35 70.00%
  • no

7 14.00%
  • maybe

6 12.00%
  • only if I had some hot wings by my side.

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Apr 2011
    minelab explorer II
    238 times

Metal Detecting reality show?

Just wondering since there is a reality show for everything now, why not metal detecting?

us
    Jul 2004
    California
    121 times

Re: Metal Detecting reality show?

Is it really to our benefit to stir up interest about this hobby? I am thinking it is not.

us
    Mar 2011
    NEPA
    garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
    8 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

yeah - sadly what will happen is people will get interested, idiots will flood places we already go dig at, they will dig holes and not fill them- and cause everyone that detects to get banned from parks -so we will lose ground...

it's bad enough when people don't fill holes in now - after a 'detecting show' that shows regular guys pulling gold and silver out of every hole you can bet people will be digging every place, making everyone else unhappy. That is going to totally annoy me too- do you think they will show it's work? or that it's easy money? I don't think it would be good for the hobby, but maybe if it's done showing how much garbage and tetanus producing objects we actually remove from places bare foot people go, it might shine a good light on our hobby- but it's still going to attract people that are going to think it's easy money, main stream sheeple wouldn't be good getting that kind of attention -they aren't responsible enough to vote let alone fill their own messy holes.

good note: is after they rush out to buy a good detector and then decide it's just too much hard WORK, digging and getting dirty, (over playing x-box and watching tv) they will flood the market with hardly used detectors for cheaper then retail prices. hopefully even the big players like Kellyco see this post and side on what will happen if our hobby goes more main stream, and how bad that will be in the longer term. They might sell a few detectors from having a show like that, but in the long run it will not be good for them either.

Unfortunately, there is already one in the making.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Chocadog

Feb 2010
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
    6 times

One of the biggest disappointments for me since starting this great hobby is the attitude of so many detectorist's, even on this web site. It appears that a selfish attitude is attached to many of the people making comment on the subject. We need to share the fun, we need to build our local clubs, we need to introduce the hobby to a much younger group of enthusiasts. If we don't all we will have is a bunch of crabby old selfish people to share the hobby with. I for one am not interested in being around a bunch of selfish, greedy old hermits! there is power in numbers and many of our state problems will be helped by younger, enthusiastice detectorist's. One of our problems now is this same selfish attitude that does not endear us to property owners or government entities. Its time to get over the poor, poor, pitiful me days and get excited about our hobby, get involved and share the joy.
    Chocadog

Quote Originally Posted by Chocadog
    One of the biggest disappointments for me since starting this great hobby is the attitude of so many detectorist's, even on this web site. It appears that a selfish attitude is attached to many of the people making comment on the subject. We need to share the fun, we need to build our local clubs, we need to introduce the hobby to a much younger group of enthusiasts. If we don't all we will have is a bunch of crabby old selfish people to share the hobby with. I for one am not interested in being around a bunch of selfish, greedy old hermits! there is power in numbers and many of our state problems will be helped by younger, enthusiastice detectorist's. One of our problems now is this same selfish attitude that does not endear us to property owners or government entities. Its time to get over the poor, poor, pitiful me days and get excited about our hobby, get involved and share the joy.
    Who is being selfish? It's fine to live in a bubble, but the reality is that the hobby is under fire from all directions. I can't see that a reality show will be anything but detrimental to the hobby.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Chocadog

Feb 2010
    Roanoke, Virginia
    6 times

I rest my case!
    Chocadog

us
    Jul 2011
    E. Tennessee
    Tesoro Vaquero
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I agree, Chocadog, but I'm not ready to believe that a made for TV "reality" (oxymoron) show is the way to go. Promotion is necessary but I think it would be better accomplished at the local level. JMHO
    *The democracy will cease to exist when you take away, from those who are
    willing to work, and give to those who would not.*
    Thomas Jefferson

"Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold. For wisdom is better than rubies;
    and all the things

us
    Chocadog

Feb 2010
    Roanoke, Virginia
    6 times

If the show is done with the help of genuine detectorist's it might prove to be helpful. Just two weeks ago I encountered a so called Metal detector supplier, blatantly breaking the law in a State Park. When I confronted him about his conduct being a detriment to our hobby he made the following statement "people come in here in the night and hunt in the water, I'm not doing anything different!" this attitude is the same as so many of our number and yet they do not want to bring in a new law abiding well instructed enthusiast!
    Chocadog

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    67 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

They would just show the good finds and not all the iffy ones...kinda like they do with storage wars lol.

us
    Oct 2008
    sioux city ,iowa
    Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by mfitzy111
    yeah - sadly what will happen is people will get interested, idiots will flood places we already go dig at, they will dig holes and not fill them- and cause everyone that detects to get banned from parks -so we will lose ground...

it's bad enough when people don't fill holes in now - after a 'detecting show' that shows regular guys pulling gold and silver out of every hole you can bet people will be digging every place, making everyone else unhappy. That is going to totally annoy me too- do you think they will show it's work? or that it's easy money? I don't think it would be good for the hobby, but maybe if it's done showing how much garbage and tetanus producing objects we actually remove from places bare foot people go, it might shine a good light on our hobby- but it's still going to attract people that are going to think it's easy money, main stream sheeple wouldn't be good getting that kind of attention -they aren't responsible enough to vote let alone fill their own messy holes.

good note: is after they rush out to buy a good detector and then decide it's just too much hard WORK, digging and getting dirty, (over playing x-box and watching tv) they will flood the market with hardly used detectors for cheaper then retail prices. hopefully even the big players like Kellyco see this post and side on what will happen if our hobby goes more main stream, and how bad that will be in the longer term. They might sell a few detectors from having a show like that, but in the long run it will not be good for them either.
    I have to agree, a one time special might be o.k.
    There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure-Mark Twain

us
    Chocadog

Feb 2010
    Roanoke, Virginia
    6 times

WOW! what a bunch of negative Nellies!
    Chocadog

mts
    us
    May 2009
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
    6 times

I agree with you. I see a lot of people in here who don't want anyone else to know anything about metal detecting. Instead, they hunker down and sneak around looking suspicious. If instead they put together a local group with 100 members who showed that they had a passion for keeping the parks clean, helping young folks find a rewarding hobby, and sharing history they could do a lot of good toward promoting this hobby and getting restrictions taken off of the table.

It's awfully hard for people, parks, and politicians to say no to 100 genuinely nice folks who are known more for helping others than for helping themselves. One guy sneaking around in a park looking for coins is creepy. 100 people organizing an advertised group hunt with banners, refreshments, and extra detectors that people/kids can try out is a community service that won't go unnoticed.

Sure, I'm giving "pie in the sky" scenarios here. And I've specifically portrayed both ends of the spectrum. But why can't reality be closer to one side than the other?

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    67 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mts
    I agree with you. I see a lot of people in here who don't want anyone else to know anything about metal detecting. Instead, they hunker down and sneak around looking suspicious. If instead they put together a local group with 100 members who showed that they had a passion for keeping the parks clean, helping young folks find a rewarding hobby, and sharing history they could do a lot of good toward promoting this hobby and getting restrictions taken off of the table.

It's awfully hard for people, parks, and politicians to say no to 100 genuinely nice folks who are known more for helping others than for helping themselves. One guy sneaking around in a park looking for coins is creepy. 100 people organizing an advertised group hunt with banners, refreshments, and extra detectors that people/kids can try out is a community service that won't go unnoticed.

Sure, I'm giving "pie in the sky" scenarios here. And I've specifically portrayed both ends of the spectrum. But why can't reality be closer to one side than the other?
    OK, where are you gonna find 100 detectorist? It would be great if everyone thought this was the hobby for them. Unfortunately the numbers you are talking about don't exist. I would love to hear from one metal detecting club that has 100 members. Are there any out there? Chicago, L.A. New York? If I'm wrong let me know...

The truth is that we are treasure hunters and that while everyone wants to find a treasure nobody wants to be labeled as a treasure hunter. It goes against everything society says we should be, hard working, realistic and grounded. We shouldn't try to get rich quick...we should just conform and work our 40 hours a week and be happy with that.

Forming a group of 100 people is not going to make it any better...it's just going to make that much less that we find. I don't look suspicious or sneaky when I'm out detecting, I just have to listen to the stupid comments.

us
    Apr 2011
    minelab explorer II
    238 times

I tell you what, I am on the fence about it. You all make great points on why or why not. Honestly I didnt think this poll would be so in depth as it has turned out to be. A reality show might not be a good thing after all since reading some views on here. Since I have been filming my hunts, I have noticed more and more to the hobby since I have started ( and that wasnt long ago). I think alot of people see "easy" money and think their going to get rich but that usually is not the case, that is why you see so many detectors on ebay. So, yeah I dont know, a show with "good" detectorist that show proper ways of detecting may not be bad, or it might be

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links