Anyone watch Gold Rush Alaska on Discovery Friday Nights ?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually catch it as a re-run, one on right now as a matter of fact.

I'm rooting for the kid. :thumbsup: :headbang: :headbang:

There is a thread or two dealing with aspects of the show in Prospecting I believe.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Ain't standing up for Fred, I can't stand the tactics he used.... BUT with that being said the Hoffmans DID lose their lease, and Fred DID buy the claim, so it was quite legal. I don't agree with it from a moral standpoint however.

The Hoffmans have made quite a few mistakes, but hindsite is 20/20. Hopefully they have learned quite a bit over the last two mining seasons and I'm rooting for them to hit it big!

The producers would do themselves a HUGE favor and tone down on the drama. One thing that made me wince was when there was a loose wire in the excavator and the voiceover said something like "The wires will need to be reconnected, but Jim wants to resolder them rather than using crimped connectors, which takes more time, precious time they don't have....." OOOOOOHHHHHHH shiver me timbers! An hour vs. 45 minutes either way, LOL! But they said it like the entire operation was at risk...... OY!

Sure, drama is what keeps these "reality" shows going, but crimped vs soldered? PUHLEASE! I'm sure there is more than one person out there who saw this as nothing but hyping up tension for effect.

I think Goodyguy has a thread running on this show if you haven't seen it yet Jeff. Fun reading :)

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love this show! I 've seen every episode.. and I Hate Dakota Fred! Sure he bought it legally since they missed a payment, also the owner of Big Nugget has never had someone there for more than a year apparently. I can't believe Fred isn't going for the Glory Hole though! He was pretty down on his luck when his house was flooded, he has my sympathies there.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dossier said:
Love this show! I 've seen every episode.. and I Hate Dakota Fred! Sure he bought it legally since they missed a payment, also the owner of Big Nugget has never had someone there for more than a year apparently. I can't believe Fred isn't going for the Glory Hole though! He was pretty down on his luck when his house was flooded, he has my sympathies there.

Yes He bought it Legally, However Common courtesy
(Unwritten rule) should say You don't Steal another Mans sight.
Especially when You worked along side them.

I Think he had intentions on Buying them out
as soon as he Headed up there. & was just waiting for them
to Hit Paydirt first.

He may have also sabataged things for
them with the Owner. Since they were Buddies.

IF However They Begged him to take it off their Hands,
Different story.

No sympathies from me, Payback is a BeeAtch :wink:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
looks like Fred is going to lose everything anyway, so, what goes around comes around

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm willing to bet $10 that the producers of the show had a whole lot to do with how and when Fred told the Hoffmans bye-bye. Plus Fred did tell Hoffman he needed to come up to Alaska so that they could talk.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
talk about what ? Fred already had the deal done before he called them

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to admit I don't like the way it was handled. but they did lose the lease cuz of their actions (or lack there of) that being said, I don't like Fred! it was sleazy!! but I don't want him to lose everything. there are a lot of people involved, not just Fred.
I love this show. watch every episode! I get all the excitement & fun without the 'skeeters & bears. I too hope the kid strikes it rich. he & his family are great. I hope Grampa survives his grandsons exuberance.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Pretty good show in My opinion,
Showing how hard it realy is to strike it rich.
but am realy Hopeing Dakota Fred
looses everything.
Shame they can't shoot Claim Jumpers. :D

Well you got your wish. Fred and his family lost their home, and all their belongings. So did my wife's family that lives near them in Minot. So did many of the people that live in my surrounding area. We live 2 hrs North of Minot, and the past summer has been devastating for thousands of people on both sides of the border.

Just because Fred seems to be a crusty old codger on a reality television program, doesn't mean we should wish him and his family ill will in their real lives. I can see why you might not be in love with Fred, but "realy (really) hopeing (hoping) he looses (loses) everything" is pretty harsh.

I hope he finds a pile of gold. I hope they all do.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J.Cache said:
jeff of pa said:
Pretty good show in My opinion,
Showing how hard it realy is to strike it rich.
but am realy Hopeing Dakota Fred
looses everything.
Shame they can't shoot Claim Jumpers. :D

Well you got your wish. Fred and his family lost their home, and all their belongings. So did my wife's family that lives near them in Minot. So did many of the people that live in my surrounding area. We live 2 hrs North of Minot, and the past summer has been devastating for thousands of people on both sides of the border.

Just because Fred seems to be a crusty old codger on a reality television program, doesn't mean we should wish him and his family ill will in their real lives. I can see why you might not be in love with Fred, but "realy (really) hopeing (hoping) he looses (loses) everything" is pretty harsh.

I hope he finds a pile of gold. I hope they all do.

Sorry To hear This about your Family
and the many people that live in Your's & Fred's surrounding area J !
Hopefully You's are getting Help !

Sorry You Think I'm Harsh, I think alot are Harsh
over things That don't effect them Personally.

But If Fred realy Claim Jumped,
I got those Harsh feelings Towards him :dontknow:

Please Note, I am not in control of the Weather,
& Can't claim any super power over my wishes.
I Am not a Billionare Dispite my wishes
:tongue3:
If I Was I'd buy your family a new life.
That you could take to the Bank
:wink:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Claim jumped"...lol. I'm sure the producers of the program, the Hoffmans, Schnabels, Fred and everybody else all met to discuss many things in the off-season. It's a T.V. show. :director: Maybe the Hoffmans decided that they would prefer a different mine for season two...maybe the producers thought it would be better for the ratings to try a new mine location. What is the #1 thing the T.V. Producers are looking for? Drama, that's right! And Fred "jumping" their claim? Of course!! The producers and editors spent half of last season making him out to be the bad guy. What perfect foreshadowing it turned out to be! I know the characters on this program would like to find gold...but they already have, in a sense. They are the stars of a popular reality television show. You can bet they are getting paid fairly well for their parts.

jcrockster

Feb 21, 2007
Kernersville, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I really enjoy the show...Most reality shows are too trashy or appear to be very staged...This show is good family entertainment and very believable.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched every episode myself! Alot less drama, And more gold mining.. Would make the show much better in our eyes.. But they have to show all the soppy stuff... To keep everyone hooked

Like "Days of our lives" Wait! I hated that show!!!! :tard:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mamabear said:
I love this show. watch every episode! I get all the excitement & fun without the 'skeeters & bears. I too hope the kid strikes it rich. he & his family are great. I hope Grampa survives his grandsons exuberance.

The preview for next week said he had a heart attack.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mzjavert said:
mamabear said:

The preview for next week said he had a heart attack.
Think Parker will Veto school to help out his Granpa? I know I would.. Family comes first, If he is to be a lifelong goldminer like Granpa, Who needs School anyway :dontknow:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs School anyway :dontknow:

[/quote]

Although I Agree with that Sentiment,
By Guess Even If he Feels that way,
His Parents & Discovery Channel would Never in a Million years
allow that Opinion On Broadcast tv as more then a
Sacarstic remark.

It would be like one of the Bradey Bunch
dropping out of High school :tongue3:
The TV world would end

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The producers did worse than call it in this past Friday in regards to Grandpa Snovel's heart attack. A hotel room...really? No IV's, or monitors, or a defibrillator in site. No hospital bed. He looked well, not like he'd just had a HA and stints inserted.

Those were the first things I noticed when Parker went to see him. Glad he's okay

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also noticed the Glory Hole. Looked as if it were widened out? :dontknow:

Seems Fred and His Son are moving more dirt then the whole clan of Quartz creekers, (hoffman crew)

Poorhunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread