Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is the buyers of screen seen items are setup beforehand. This show will be rerun next to forever and all those items will only grow in value. Any screen seen item that they made a big fuss over is worth 3 times whatever they paid (easy).

I'm into art and that's closely related to this type of thing. Any old crap painting or drawing is worth millions if it gets the publicity and eventual fame status.

There's one thing about the Pawn Stars show that I do believe. I can easily believe they really do hate each other.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I try to focus on my own reality. Too many sheep these days that watch everything that's stuffed down their throats. "Dancing with the Stars"? Seriously....get your head checked if you find entertainment in that.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well lets see theres
Pawn Stars, Hard Core Pawn, Storage Hunters, Texas Storage hunters, Swamp People,Ax Man, Wild Justice, Ink Masters, Diggers, American Diggers, Wild Justice, Full Metal Jousting, American Pickers,The Bachelor, American Idol, The Voice, Bearing Sea Gold, Gold Rush, Operation Repo, Lizard Lick Towing, Gator Boys, Worlds Toughest Trucker, Top Shot, Hillbilly Hand Fishin, Sons of Guns, Auction Hunters, American Weed, Mud Cats, Am I missing any :dontknow: No wonder I'm tired at the end of the day, trying to keep up with all good things on TV :tongue3:

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say that the term "reality show" is a misnomer that has been overused to describe all of these new shows....none of which are true reality. It's all scripted and staged. Anyone that believes otherwise is very naive.

Having said that, I think some of them are entertaining and I enjoy watching them. Pawn stars is enjoyable, hardcore pawn is annoying. IMO

live free or die

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, Pawn Stars is obviously staged but it's more fun to imagine it's for real.

I just watched the whole 1st and 2nd seasons and laughed more than I have in months. Great entertainment.

Do I believe it's for real? NOT! I think it was originally but now they're all celebrities who do pawn shop as a sideline.

In episode S2 : E6 I heard Rick talk about selling online so they use ebay too or have an auction setup of their own. He also mentioned that he always has some buyers in mind before he makes a purchase so they do have a buyer list via the phone.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
Michigan Badger said:
Every time I click on Quote (upper right of someone's post) I get this message:

"The post you are trying to quote either does not exist, was deleted, or is no longer viewable by you."
the quote worked for me

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes handy it seems to work for everyone else. It won't work with any of our computers. I tried many times and all I get is:
"The post you are trying to quote either does not exist, was deleted, or is no longer viewable by you."

I figure something must have happened with my ISP (or whatever) when the thread was transferred to this category.

I cleared my history and that did no good. I've had this happen before but it's rare. It's a quirk in the system but no big deal I guess.

Badger

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the reason some of these shows survive and continue to be entertaining is because the producers develop several different personalities to keep things interesting and entertaining.

A good example of this is Gold Rush. The first season was all about the core group and their tyrant of a leader which I think got pretty boring. As I was about to give up on it they brought in the claim jumper then added the kid and his grandpa...all of sudden, it got interesting and entertaining again and I continued to tune in.

Pawn Stars has the same formula and added the different "experts" to make it a little more entertaining.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya you're right. Pawn brought in outsiders from time to time too. Remember "Peaches" and the Play Boy magazines? :laughing7:

Rick and Cumley are pretty decent actors though. I love the old man but he can't act worth a flip. :laughing7:

From people who have actually visited the shop (I haven't yet) I've learned that what I suspected is true. They have special filming times and all sellers are screened first (checked by guards, coached, etc.). I've read online that many sellers are really hired actors. Note that people come right up to Rick or whomever and seem totally oblivious to the camera crew. This is definitely not real life.

Due to the enormous popularity of the show people come from all over the world in hopes of being on the it. During regular hours people at the shop most likely select the most interesting potential stories and only they are actually invited to return when the shop is closed to the public and they'll have the chance of participating in the filming time (and meeting the stars). But I'm betting most show sellers are planted.

In obvious that the scenes by the old man's desk are rehearsed and by script. Yup, they're an act. Actually anyone with any sense could see that. Like the time they stole the old man's car to have it fixed up. The camera follows him out to the parking lot the exact time he discovers his car is missing :laughing7:

And too, some purchases are completely fabricated for entertainment. People are sometimes given items to claim they own them and want to sell them. That infamous Coke Machine caper made it all over the internet. Supposely Rick buys a trashed Coke machine and the wiz repair guy makes it look new. The trouble is, the repaired machine is not the machine Rick gave him to fix-up. The outside case is a totally different shape, it was a totally different model....oops! :laughing7: This didn't upset me at all...I saw it as super funny and all a part of the fun hoax. It's Big Time Wrestling all over again.

The cable networks fool a lot of people. Many tend to think of PBS, History Channel, etc., as glorified YouTube videos. This is most definitely not the case. The American Pickers, all of them, they're actors to entertain. In real life some of them are outrageous snobs.

Lets face it, everyday life is pretty boring. Who would watch a real pawn shop show? Most of what comes in is just general merchandise and cheap repros. If possible the pawn shop owner tries to get the items as cheaply as he possibly can. He dreams of someone walking in with something worth a million bucks that he can buy for $50. Just such a purchase might mean he could finally retire and sell that trap.

No one should ever think for a minute this is real life.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Alot of it is fake, or just for entertainment. The historical aspect is 99% correct though. But some of the prices are completely outrageuous. I am a coke Collector, and i've seen him get a few things in there and he gets them for like $100 restores them and suddenly its a $5,500 machine. No..

LCrebel

Jun 27, 2011
The bald guys laugh just makes my skin crawl kinda like nails on a chalk board! When he does that laugh usaualy means he just got over someone. I love when he says yea but that's auction price, it might set in the shop for years before we get our money back! I liked to passed out when that guy let those George Washington inaugural Buttons go so cheap! Have you ever looked at the crap they sell on eBay? I guess the chum has turned into an artist. Trying to sell his paintings for big bucks on eBay!
Ax men is the show! Shelby and piss Willy make that show Rock!

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's so fake especially scumly or chumly or whatever the heck his name is

Last edited:

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This show lost me when I picked up on a few things.

1. They try to make it look like the whole "transaction" takes place in one day. False. People do not grow and cut facial hair, get new glasses and change their clothes that many times in "one day'
2. They try to edit what people say to make it appear that they are saying stuff they never DID in the "teasers"
3. They chop and edit facial expressions to make it appear that people "get pissed off" or "stony faced" when their little script dictates.

Don't piss down my back and tell me that it is raining.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think some of PS has to be true,the experts seem like they know what they're talking about. Chum has moments of lucidness where he almost seems normal. Note I say " almost."

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of PS has to be true,the experts seem like they know what they're talking about. Chum has moments of lucidness where he almost seems normal. Note I say " almost."

His name is Austin Russel, and I have had some discussions with him/
he is not as big of an idiot as they try to make him for the show, but still a mouthbreather.
Gold And Silver is a franchise shop and there are a few of them.

The "experts" are legit, and I have also "talked" to Patton and the guy who owns Tortuga trading "Shawn/Sean?" I forget how he spells his name and also Rebecca Romney. They all have facebook pages.

But the show is typical constructed crap.

TV 'reality' producers are about the lowest form of scum on the planet and lie and deceive for a living.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread