• Total voters

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy watching, but you know it's all a big set-up, like they would have a camera crew in place everytime somebody came in with something interesting.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really couldn't settle on just one voting option. It's entertainment based for sure, so I'm sure all of the first four voting options apply.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
snakeyes said:
I enjoy watching, but you know it's all a big set-up, like they would have a camera crew in place everytime somebody came in with something interesting.

As for me personally, I find the show addicting. It is one of the funniest shows on TV today. I have very dry sick humor and it's definitely my style. And too I love antiques and wildly strange things. This show will probably continue to be a smash hit until one of the actors leaves for one reason or another. Sooner or later some big producer will snatch up Cumley ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawn stars is a 30 Minute Infomercial
Disguised as a reality Show.

Only reason they get these Rare things in, is because
they are advertised accross the country.

People who actually bring things in to sell should
hold out for more, or walk. The items they buy get advertied
in their shows & reruns, & people call & show up
to buy them from them.

Good deal for the Pawn shop
and the station they are on, that's it

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Chumley is related to the old man, they sure resemble each other.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an interesting and entertaining show for sure. In addition, you can learn a thing, or two about history and the items.

I know what you mean when it comes to producing a show like this.. If you dig a little deeper in your research, you'll see their was another consideration for Chumley's spot. Yup, the producers contacted me a few months prior to filming and we talked about compensation. They weren't even close on their offer to me.. I'm looking at Simon Cowell, or Howard Stern money. Then again, I'm worth every penny of it :laughing7:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried to reply to a couple posts above but the thread won't allow me to do that for some reason.

The thing that ticks me off is I was never approached for a part in the show. So now I've got to run all over the country to find something really interesting so I can get on the show and sell it to them for about 1/5 of what I paid...good deal :thumbsup:

Meanwhile I'm seriously craving a SUBWAY sandwich for some reason.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a jacked up reality show for entertainment but you do learn some stuff about old items.
I don't mind the show. don't watch alot.

it is a pawn shop. all kinds of crazy things come in cause people are either to lazy to sell it themselves or they need cash desperately and go to an easy source. pawn shops are all about making money off your items. a pawn shop has always been that type of business.

I like when they get a gun and go shoot. still waiting to see one blow up in someone's face.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time I click on Quote (upper right of someone's post) I get this message:

"The post you are trying to quote either does not exist, was deleted, or is no longer viewable by you."

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Why can't I reply to anyone's post? Man, this is weird.

Anyway, the Pawn Star show is informative in many ways. For one you get an idea of the market today and also you learn not to sell to pawn shops. Some of the prices they pay are ridiculously low. One could do better by far on ebay or in some cases just setting the thing out front with a FOR SALE sign on it.

On Pawn Stars an appraiser is often called in to authenticate and value the item with the owner standing there hearing the whole thing. It's a fun show but not the real world. Pawn shops have a long history of being basically crooked. They buy from desperate people for pennies on the dollar. The lady with the Fabergé jewelry piece worth over $10,000++ probably would have been paid $150-$250 by most pawn shops. They depend on these super treasure finds coming into their shops on a regular basis. These honey deals are what the pawn business is all about.

Most people today don't know the real values of their merchandise. It's difficult to imagine but millions of people right in this country have no idea how to setup an ebay account or sell anything from any site online. These people are sitting ducks for pawn shops and local con men.

I think what alot of people don't think about is an "appraisal" on an item is not the same as what its worth right now cash money. An appraisal is an estimate of what the items replacement value is but getting someone to pay that amount is a different story. The only way to realize true "market value" today on your item is by auction. A properly advertiesed and conducted auction will get you true market value. But that is not free or cheap. Could cost anywhere from 10-50% after all said and done and it takes time. Usually several months to properly advertise a "rare" item and get everyone that would be interested in your rare item at the auction either online or in person or via phone. But to think that the dealer or pawn shop is ripping the people off simply by making them a cash today offer on there item is false. They are not misleading them, that would be wrong. they are saying this is what your item appraises for and this is what we will give you cash today. They don't have to accept it and then of course the dealer or pawn brokers money is tied up in the item until he turns it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jibb said:
I think what alot of people don't think about is an "appraisal" on an item is not the same as what its worth right now cash money. An appraisal is an estimate of what the items replacement value is but getting someone to pay that amount is a different story. The only way to realize true "market value" today on your item is by auction. A properly advertiesed and conducted auction will get you true market value. But that is not free or cheap. Could cost anywhere from 10-50% after all said and done and it takes time. Usually several months to properly advertise a "rare" item and get everyone that would be interested in your rare item at the auction either online or in person or via phone. But to think that the dealer or pawn shop is ripping the people off simply by making them a cash today offer on there item is false. They are not misleading them, that would be wrong. they are saying this is what your item appraises for and this is what we will give you cash today. They don't have to accept it and then of course the dealer or pawn brokers money is tied up in the item until he turns it.

I agree if talking about a Pawn shop on the corner of
12th. & Who-ver Streets in Jabip.

But in the case of Pawn stars, the show is aired
nationally, maybe even Internationally.
& rerun Regularly.
I'm guessing they even have a Phone sales
division, to answer calls from people willing to pay
3 times what they paid for some of the weapons.
& the time they need to hold items is
only the time they refuse to sell till they are sure
they are getting top dollar.

Must be nice to get paid by the network
to do info-mercials, while raking in the Big Bucks
in sales.
I Stopped watching because of them Crying Poverty
when one of them screws up on a $5.00 item.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Every time I click on Quote (upper right of someone's post) I get this message:

"The post you are trying to quote either does not exist, was deleted, or is no longer viewable by you."

Checking, but Think it's at your End.
Nobody else has reported the problem.

Get a New Toy Lately ?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went there last summer .The place was packed with people buying teeshirts and what not. They close the place down for the show .

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, great comments everyone.

Hey birdman, you were actually there? Groovy! I plan to visit it soon.

What you and Jeff wrote is exactly what I figured. It seemed to me that during regular hours that place would be packed considering the fame of the show. Everybody who goes to Vegas would want to visit the place.

Birdman did you see any of the stars of the show while there? I'm guessing they lay pretty low during real business hours. ;D

I think you hit the nail on the head, Jeff, with that phone thing. I know for a fact people will pay a premium for anything "screen seen." Remember that little red electric car the old man loved? They paid $600 for it (robbed the guy) and I'll bet they got thousands for it when it served it's drawing purpose. Either that or it got added to the old man's collection. :thumbsup:

The show from a purely financial perspective was (is) a major success. I'd say even better than Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.

Also, the comments above about auction fees, etc., is also very true.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you figure the total shop is grossing per week considering the cable contract and all?

$10,000
$100,000
$1,000,000

????

I'd guess about $250,000.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest: