Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: New show (Diggers) on the History channel

Capt_Jack said:
Just watched the first half hour of it and not rellay impressed,the digging style they have is bad.

The second half at the plantation was worse. I can dig a neater hole with a backhoe ;D. Tony

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just watched both episodes. I enjoyed it but I think their slang and bets were goofy. I do agree their digging was disturbing and fear that it will give the wrong idea to someone who wants to get into detecting. Getting permission is hard enough without battling bad digging and trespassers. I would like them to put the legal jargon about laws and permission at the start of the show NOT at the end.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OtraVez said:
I just watched both episodes. I enjoyed it but I think their slang and bets were goofy. I do agree their digging was disturbing and fear that it will give the wrong idea to someone who wants to get into detecting. Getting permission is hard enough without battling bad digging and trespassers. I would like them to put the legal jargon about laws and permission at the start of the show NOT at the end.

The holes and trying to put a dollar value on every find will give people the wrong idea about our hobby. We may sell or trade an item once in a while but that's not why I detect. After seeing how much some of our finds are worth, some nut will run by the pawn shop, pick up a used Radio Shack detector, and dig up City hall. Then It will be all over. I had rather diggers like on the show stay up North ;D ;D. Tony

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011

I watched and liked, kind of... unfortunately I agree this will hurt more than anything. These guys are the poster children for our hobby and it is frankly embarrassing. Their approach of finding treasure versus history sucks. Their jargon is lame as well. Might be good for them, but now the rest of the country is going to think it's some hobby standard. Jeeesh....

However... as a TV guy, these are the elements you want for interesting TV. Odd personalities, head-to-head competition and the allure of finding treasure.

OP
OP
Capt_Jack

Capt_Jack

Dec 16, 2007
Wilmington N.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 AT/PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i did some research and boy what i found is not good,this is what the American Archaeology had to say,,,(Late last week the Society for American Archaeology Board was informed that there are two TV series planned that promote and glorify the looting and destruction of archaeological sites. They are American Diggers and Diggers. The first is scheduled for Spike TV and the other for National Geographic TV. As past SAA President Bob Kelly wrote in a recent e-mail in response to American Diggers, "This shameless and shameful program will glorify and promote the mindless destruction of archaeological sites in the U.S."

SummerJam1973

Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I watched the first 15 minutes of the show and then shut it off. Those guys are a couple of idiots. It reminds us of Ghost Hunters and how disrespectful those people are. I can just see it coming....a future episode where a little frustration sets in and we can expect "Come on you f***ing coins, get out of that f***ing ground and come to Papa!!!" :angry5:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SummerJam1973 said:
My wife and I watched the first 15 minutes of the show and then shut it off. Those guys are a couple of idiots. It reminds us of Ghost Hunters and how disrespectful those people are. I can just see it coming....a future episode where a little frustration sets in and we can expect "Come on you f***ing coins, get out of that f***ing ground and come to Papa!!!" :angry5:

Tried to watch the reruns today.

watched a little at the Prison, & a little Civil war site,
I Actually Laughed during the Beach hunting,
fast Forwarded though the rest of that episode.
Didn't watch the other one again.
Just deleted.
I Did think it was funny he Licked the Jelly Fish
& Then licked the Ocean to get the taste out.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually would have liked the show if they didn't have their ridiculous terminology.

Every time they opened their mouths I cringed.

They really make metal detectorists look like idiots.

John De

Nov 10, 2011
Pittsfield, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how do two bananas get the attention of National Geographics and get tv air time?( I'm just jealous) - do you think that NG probably got them permission to hunt these two locations ? ???

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys were off the wall. They made me laugh. They tended to get a little excited, (IH penny, Bullet lead). "I wish they had acted like they had metal detected before." They never showed what was done with the finds, as they left it they had them, not given to the owners. I would not mind detecting with these two, they would make for any interesting day. I was a little concerned over the evaluating of the finds. They don,t have a clue on what condition and collectors desire will do for a price/value. $50 for the IH was out of line. The vocabulary was odd not normal, probably only these two use all of it. They could probably improve the show by making the history and rarity of there finds instead of value. I have never sold a find, but I might if the price is right or I start finding more jewelry.

Bottom line, they did not harm the hobby. I know about 75 detectorist and none are like these two. I got a good laugh out of the show. I would watch more, but not to learn about detecting or how to detect. They are a bit out there.

Ed D.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Just do a Google search for
archeology national geographic diggers
Also
archeology Spike American diggers

Now tell me this has not done any damage.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was OK but they really had no clue as to how to dig a plug. Also that the whole idea behind the show leaning towards $$$$$$ is for sure going to give us a black eye.

Brian

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I don't like the leaning towards the money. It would have been nice if it was made into an educational tool. A seriouse educational opportunity was missed here that could have in fact helped the hobby. They have given the perception we are looters and out for proffit when in fact the ONLY finds that have ever left from my possession have gone to the home owner. I think most of us do it for fun and for collecting. Getting a tan has just been a nice side effect. I wonder if anyone has contacted Garrett about them. If they are a sponsor I hope they correct the format of the show quick. I would love to watch a show that has guys out to collect find and educate. You can have a personality and competition without making it about the money. Why not make it whoever diggs up the most screw tops has to go jump in the lake???

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what I hate is, you can here that stupid at pro go off, and there all wearing heads phones? whats up with that...

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think u all r reading alittle to much into it. yes they need to tweek it alittle but remember u got crawl before u can walk. ive watched it four xs now n simple enjoy the finds. dont knw bout wearing a dress while riding a bike off a boat dock tho??? certainly enjoyed hearing the tones.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they explain there "new" words in these 2 episodes
what about down the road when someone new watches
an episode - they wont have any idea what they are talking about
and I doubt they will explain every episode - and if they did that would be a waste
for the guys that already know
Yes - I'm sure we all have short words or phrases
but "toke" for token - dont see why you cant just say you got a token
any large copper coin - be it a large cent or a KG - we say we got a copper
we will say we got a bust or a seated or a barber - stuff that everyone
can figure out
if you got something good - why cant you just say you got a good one
I thought they were funny and had a good re pore
- I got hunt partners that fool around
if we are in a field after harvest - I can expect to get a few potatoes - squash - or rotten pumkins
thrown my way - and i have yelled frantically - when bored - " i got a cob!" and get my buddy running across the field -
only to hold up a corn cob when he is halfway - takes some acting and timing to get him to fall for it
the one thing I got tired of was the word "slamming" + I just got a slamming signal - oh yea its slamming -
slamming... slamming... slamming"
and the sometimes echoing of words or phrases
I think i got a toke - you think you got a toke? - I pretty sure its a toke - yep its a toke - is it a good toke?
yep - think its a good toke"
they did that a lot - but I know they are new to the TV thing - hopefully they will watch and catch some of this stuff
I hope they see some of the comments and work on some things
- I dont care if Im in farm field or a manicured lawn
I treat the ground the same - i dont want anyone coming up to me where ever I am and complain about a hole I ve dug
they reminded me of a guy I used to hunt with - he would make a hole and then used his hands to tear the hole bigger and bigger
and shake all the dirt out of the clumps of course killing any chance of that grass surviving
this was great until we got permission to hit a real old cologne house (sorry-couldnt resist) with a real nice lawn
I wanted to hunt this place so bad but let my partner go first after the permission giver walked away - my partner went at it
he cut a small plug with his knife and rechecked the hole - still there and then he started to tear open the hole - I said "hey you might want to be a little careful - this is a nice lawn"
he started throwing small ripped out clumps off to the side here and there - he got a seated dime eventually - I got a pic or him digging and of the coin
I did not manage one of the irate owner charging out and yelling "what the #$%&#!!! are you doing to my lawn - get outta here!"
that was 25yrs ago - owner was old - wonder if he died and someone else lives there now icon_scratch

By the way - I did a few pages for a magazine with a water hunters dictionary - with words and phrases that are commonly popular
by beach guys & gals - anyone interested - Pm me and I will send a link to pages

My hunt partners and I usually have silent hand signals to express what we got or might have
we try to never yell out items - whether on the land or in the water
you dont want to yell "I got a gold ring!" anywhere or "I got a silver coin!"
If you are out in the woods at a cellarhole - okay - but within public ears - no no

then theres the inflation of prices - I have that exact button - mines worth around $100
and I have a handful of toe rings like that in silver - want to know where they go for $10
it would take about 15+ that size to probably make an oz

I would like to see a good DETECTING show take hold - and with a little work it can me done
got to remember the networks are not doing this for us in the hobby - theyre not doing it to get more people
to join the hobby - theyre trying to just get watchers and will do whatever to get them

usually who ever gets the best finds - buys lunch
silly side bets is over the top

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread