"Diggers" My take.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
"Diggers" My take.

I actually enjoyed the show. Much better than the other reality sedative on Tv these days. If I had to find a negative it would be the stupid lingo..."Tokes" especially. I don't see how what they're doing will hurt the hobby. Who are we to begrudge someone buying a detector giving it a go? We all were beginners at one time. On a side note...those At Pro's really sound cruddy.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: "Diggers" My take.

I agree, I liked the show too, and didn't like their lingo too much, but it works for them. The crazy bets were a little funny, I guess the producers figured they had to add that so some people would stay tuned. I wish they would spend as much time giving tips or "how to's", as they spend on the glossary' Just my opinion,

Bill

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinstriking Michigan said:
note...those At Pro's really sound cruddy.

:laughing7:

If they are going to add Canned sound, they should at least
add solid Hits instead of shakey Ground noise :D

I Still vote for Geiger counter Static

and of course underwater Submarine Pings on the beaches.

Confuse the Newbies more :thumbsup:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Honestly I expected a much better program from National Geographic. The show really spends too much time pandering to the lowest common denominator. Combine the fun they have while searching with more intelligence during the interviews and examination of the artifacts/coins/junk, and you'd have a winner. I'll probably watch a few more episodes just to see what they come up with. Come the new season of Doctor Who I won't be watching.

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

The guys from the show are pro diggers that find good stuff, but i still have a beef with the show portraying a for-profit angle of the hobby

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Missouri_John said:
The guys from the show are pro diggers that find good stuff, but i still have a beef with the show portraying a for-profit angle of the hobby

Yes this is my one problem with the show.

We all know what auction Hunters, & shows like
it have done to auctions & Yard sales.
If the wrong people see the show, they may
want compensation to hunt their yards,
and want to keep all you find too, just in case
somethings worth more then you paid them to hunt :laughing9:

Now if we can convince these people
to pay us $1.00 a piece for all our Brass,
$10.00 for dug Indians, $3.00 for wheats
& $300.00 for dug Buttons, or even half these estimates,
My attitude may change

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

they explain their "new" words in these 2 episodes
what about down the road when someone new watches
an episode - they wont have any idea what they are talking about
and I doubt they will explain every episode - and if they did that would be a waste
for the guys that already know
Yes - I'm sure we all have short words or phrases
but "toke" for token - dont see why you cant just say you got a token
any large copper coin - be it a large cent or a KG - we say we got a copper
we will say we got a bust or a seated or a barber - stuff that everyone
can figure out
if you got something good - why cant you just say you got a good one
I thought they were funny and had a good re pore
- I got hunt partners that fool around
if we are in a field after harvest - I can expect to get a few potatoes - squash - or rotten pumkins
thrown my way - and i have yelled frantically - when bored - " i got a cob!" and get my buddy running across the field -
only to hold up a corn cob when he is halfway - takes some acting and timing to get him to fall for it
the one thing I got tired of was the word "slamming" + I just got a slamming signal - oh yea its slamming -
slamming... slamming... slamming"
and the sometimes echoing of words or phrases
I think i got a toke - you think you got a toke? - I pretty sure its a toke - yep its a toke - is it a good toke?
yep - think its a good toke"
they did that a lot - but I know they are new to the TV thing - hopefully they will watch and catch some of this stuff
I hope they see some of the comments and work on some things
- I dont care if Im in farm field or a manicured lawn
I treat the ground the same - i dont want anyone coming up to me where ever I am and complain about a hole I ve dug
they reminded me of a guy I used to hunt with - he would make a hole and then used his hands to tear the hole bigger and bigger
and shake all the dirt out of the clumps of course killing any chance of that grass surviving
this was great until we got permission to hit a real old cologne house (sorry-couldnt resist) with a real nice lawn
I wanted to hunt this place so bad but let my partner go first after the permission giver walked away - my partner went at it
he cut a small plug with his knife and rechecked the hole - still there and then he started to tear open the hole - I said "hey you might want to be a little careful - this is a nice lawn"
he started throwing small ripped out clumps off to the side here and there - he got a seated dime eventually - I got a pic or him digging and of the coin
I did not manage one of the irate owner charging out and yelling "what the #$%&#!!! are you doing to my lawn - get outta here!"
that was 25yrs ago - owner was old - wonder if he died and someone else lives there now icon_scratch

By the way - I did a few pages for a magazine with a water hunters dictionary - with words and phrases that are commonly popular
by beach guys & gals - anyone interested - Pm me and I will send a link to pages

My hunt partners and I usually have silent hand signals to express what we got or might have
we try to never yell out items - whether on the land or in the water
you dont want to yell "I got a gold ring!" anywhere or "I got a silver coin!"
If you are out in the woods at a cellarhole - okay - but within public ears - no no

then theres the inflation of prices - I have that exact button - mines worth around $100
and I have a handful of toe rings like that in silver - want to know where they go for $10
it would take about 15+ that size to probably make an oz

I would like to see a good DETECTING show take hold - and with a little work it can me done
got to remember the networks are not doing this for us in the hobby - theyre not doing it to get more people
to join the hobby - theyre trying to just get watchers and will do whatever to get them

usually who ever gets the best finds - buys lunch
silly side bets is over the top

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread