Spikes American Digger with Ric Savage Good or Bad?

Zerick

May 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst show I've ever seen.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching American Digger since it came out back in March. I personally love the show, but i've noticed now, people that have no treasure hunting expierence, are just purchasing crap detectors and searching there yard for thousands of dollars of relics. I love to watch the show because of the finds, that I hope I might get some day (even though I know alot of it is faked) but it is making it harder for us hard core metal detectors to find spots to detect at. What do you think about the show?
Your 15, I would expect someone of your age to love the show. After all, Ric Savage is on the same mentality level as a 15 year old.
Hard core metal detectorist? How long you been at this? Come on man. :laughing7:

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Your 15, I would expect someone of your age to love the show. After all, Ric Savage is on the same mentality level as a 15 year old.
Hard core metal detectorist? How long you been at this? Come on man. :laughing7:

By saying I am a Hard Core Metal detectorist I mean I am very in to it and love to do it. I have been at it for close to a month and a half. I do like the show, but the latest episode was horrible. So fake. They dived down into a lake and pulled out a cannon off a ship.... I like the show, but I want a show with metal detecting in general, and where they do get burned on stuff. Kinda like American Pickers where some picks are good, and some are bad

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the way they make a point of getting permission to hunt.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I'm sure it is possible to become hardcore after one day of detecting,
especially if your like me :laughing7:

I Didn't see the episode, I stopped watching, but maybe I should still watch it.
I just can't stand the attitude of the "rastler" on the show.

Cannon from a ship ? :tongue3: If that's the case they really went lame.

There were cannon Pulled through the woods & Fields During all the early wars.

I know of a story of one or several thrown into a hole (the cannon hole) about 30 mile north of me
during the french & Indian war. c1750

and rumor of a canon factory sealed into a cave in northern PA,

and if I'm not mistaken Perry Massie was almost arrested for trying to pull a canon up out of a Creek
or river in Alabama
a few years ago. I may be wrong on the canon, it's been years

Last edited:

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If I were a property owner and have watched this show, I would be concerned that someone I allowed to search my property would be blowing up my property with high explosives (as they show at the start of the program) ,screaming "BOOM BABY BOOM" and up setting the neighbors .He is a VERY POOR EXAMPLE of a treasure hunter and after over 35 years of treasure hunting , I have never anyone like this. In the most part we are all low profile and work hard to uphold a image of honesty and consideration for the people we deal with.

Harvest

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the first show and was stunned at the stupidity level. watched about half of the second show and turned it off. It's an out right attack on our hobby. I know this guy is an intertainer, but he needs to keep it in the wrestling ring. not in a hobby such as ours where we have enough adversity with out making the whole world think we are like this. It kind sickens me to think about all the stuff we do to get a good name as a family oriented hobby, then a guy like this jumps up and makes us all look like a bunch goons out jumping around like maniacs with big picks and shovels bulling our way around. Completely out of character of the majority of people in our hobby or profession. The show needs to go.

Archae33

Greenie
Oct 10, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm an archaeologist, with typical archaeology ethics, but I actually came to check to the site today wondering if the hunters of treasurenet were despising this show a much as archaeologists are. I figured (and hoped) that you guys hate it, too... The idiocy of wrestler guy's antics are unparalleled, and I hope Spike is receiving enough complaints to keep it from getting a second season.

In the meantime, it's kinda nice to find the archaeologists and treasure hunters agreeing on something so pasisonately, haha.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an archaeologist, with typical archaeology ethics, but I actually came to check to the site today wondering if the hunters of treasurenet were despising this show a much as archaeologists are. I figured (and hoped) that you guys hate it, too... The idiocy of wrestler guy's antics are unparalleled, and I hope Spike is receiving enough complaints to keep it from getting a second season.

In the meantime, it's kinda nice to find the archaeologists and treasure hunters agreeing on something so pasisonately, haha.

Imagine that! :laughing7:

PS- I got you on here, so let me ask you-

Since it seems "we" usually don't agree with one another when it comes to digging relics and the methods used in the extrication of said objects, at what point does a "site" become of archaeological interest as it pertains to detectorists and archaeologists being at odds over it? Or does your community just have a general dislike for anyone swinging a detector or digging in the ground besides "you"? Honest question.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've worked with archeologists on a historic battle site, and it was a good relationship for the most part. We provided the work, and them the expertise.

I say for the most part because the modest (by value or 'flash') artifacts ended up in a box a hundred miles from the site, never to be seen. I'd like the local historical museum to get them for a display; at least people can see them.

It's nice to see you post on a site like this; I hope you can see that the majority of folks here are ethical, and we agree that Diggers is a disaster for our cultural heritage and hobby. We need to unite on this one.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One group I work with has had a relationship with the local archaeologists for almost 20 years. The group is well respected and often speaks to the archaeology community. We have been invited by archaeologists to sites in 6 or 7 different states and usually have a representative at the major Archaeology Conferences trying to make additional contacts for access to new places. Keep in mind we don't keep any of the items we find. We usually do all the surveying work ourselves and if asked we will even write a report on the project and our findings. It has been an amazing partnership and we have had access to some of the best historical sites in the tri-state area.

I still metal detect my own sites but I do inform the archaeologists when I make an interesting find and I will donate items I find at my own sites to local museums and historical societies. Although one concern is that they may sell off items to raise much needed funds to keep their doors open. The NJ Historical Society recently sold off a map for this very reason. When the economy is not great the donations for these type of organizations seem to dry up.

For the most part the two communities have the same goal. To find and protect artifacts and to help tell their stories. Instead of fighting they should be embracing each other and learning from each other. The archaeologists can teach us the proper way to take field notes, different clue we should be looking for and when we should really call them in. They can use our numbers to help identify important sites, survey large sites that are in danger of being developed and also to survey large disturbed sites such as farms that have been plowed for generations. On the later sites the depth and exact location is not as important since the original placement has changed due to the deep plowing process.

This is all just my opinion but I feel it really makes sense. I do like the rules they have over in England and I think that system could work here in the states.

NJ

Stumppass

Nov 14, 2010
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II WOT coil / Minelab Excalibur 800 /Minelab Excalibur II 1000 / Pro Pointer
How does watching a show help contribute to the show's ratings?

If you're on cable they know what your watching!

Oh ya, that show is BAD, VERY BAD! :cross::BangHead:

Last edited:

dubmurphy

Greenie
May 7, 2012
Fake and downright awful television. This show can only hurt the hobby. Now when you ask someone permission to hunt their yard, they're going to either expect an $800 pay-day or horrific images of you digging there yard up with a backhoe are going to be flooding their mind.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I'm sure it is possible to become hardcore after one day of detecting,
especially if your like me :laughing7:

I Didn't see the episode, I stopped watching, but maybe I should still watch it.
I just can't stand the attitude of the "rastler" on the show.

Cannon from a ship ? :tongue3: If that's the case they really went lame.

There were cannon Pulled through the woods & Fields During all the early wars.

I know of a story of one or several thrown into a hole (the cannon hole) about 30 mile north of me
during the french & Indian war. c1750

and rumor of a canon factory sealed into a cave in northern PA,

and if I'm not mistaken Perry Massie was almost arrested for trying to pull a canon up out of a Creek
or river in Alabama
a few years ago. I may be wrong on the canon, it's been years
When the pompous Civil War General McClellan was stationed out of Fort Vancouver before the war, he lead his men on an arduous journey through the Cascade Moutains of Washington State looking for Indians and insisting on hauling a cannon. At some point when the troops were hauling it up yet another steep grade the cannon broke loose and plummeted to the bottom of a canyon. When the general reluctantly decided to leave it, the men cheered and celebrated. It remains somewhere in the Cascade Mountains to this day. Wish I new how to dowse a cannon. Oh ya that show sucks.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot Zone, one thing for sure.

If we pull a cannon out, it's going to take major cleaning.

I Figure it will look like a Giant nail, with
Iron Cancer Growth all over it, inside & Out

Last edited:

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't stand the sound of him saying Boom Baby! He wouldn't never come back on my property after yelling like that and bringing in the heavy equipment.
Did anyone see that other detecting show that only aired about 2 shows? It had a couple of guys and they called everything juice that they found. It was better than Rick's show but it was still crazy. One show had the one who found the least amount dressing up in a dress and riding a bike into a freezing a** lake. Anyway, as far as detecting, it was alright.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Against my better "Past" Judgement, I recorded & just watched last nights episode.
he digs a Flat beer can & Whips it like a Frisbee.

Now I'm P.O'd all over again ! Why did I Bother :icon_scratch:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Against my better "Past" Judgement, I recorded & just watched last nights episode.

We tried to warn you Jeff, the show has ZERO redeeming qualities.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Likewise my first/last episode. The frisbee toss was the most painful, but Ric really strained to show how emotional he was about finding the rare planted slave tag that he spied from several feet away. I am sure there are people that watch it like they would pro wrasling. They know it is fake but are entertained and the more absurd the bigger the laugh. I havent watched pro rasling for 25 years but I used to like Jessie the Body. Now Jessie Ventura when he announced there was no doubt he was all about entertaining you. When the wrestler in the ring did something absurd, illegal, and dangerous, Jessie would comment simply" good move". His timing was great and always made my sides hurt with laughter. This show however is horseshit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread