Ice Cold Gold

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw the season opener last night where the crew was heading back to Greenland.

They landed there to go back after the 13Million in Rubies. Well, the government decided to change a bunch of rules while the American's were gone and made the Red Zone off limits for the miners.

How much you want to bet you will see a big mining operation there now by companies related to the government officials?

So the miners decide to go off and hunt gold north of the Arctic Circle.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm figuring that if they find gold deposits there the government will make some more new rules... it seems like theses guys are spending all their time and money doing free research for the government and private individuals in the country of Greenland.

Pretty scenery though...

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea,,, I saw it too.

That is the main problem with doing this TV prospecting.
What did they think? That they would be ALLOWED to keep their finds?

Sure,,, lots of resources there but after getting "shut down" in that underhanded manner,,, no way would I be as visual in any exploration there.
It would all be quiet,, stealth mode only, even after finding something viable to mine commercially.
And yes,,, I wholeheartedly agree that a major "player" in the industry filed a "fee" to have that exclusion zone set.

Hit

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder what the lat/long for the Red Zone was.

It would be interesting to see satellite imagery and see how quick a full scale mining operation started up.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole thing seemed odd to me.

They had their meeting in AZ to get rid of their dredger,....come on out to this ranch, so we can tell you to get lost. Really?

They state a value of at least 13 million, but not one word of what it would cost to mine, process, and ship their Rubies.

All that was said was something like, " Wow, that's over 1 million apiece. ":tongue3:

They found the deposit last year, what was their plan this year? Take more samples?

They gave up way too easy, I bet they could have found a native with his own company, backed him, and cut him in. There has got to be some way around the new law.

Makes me wonder if the rubies were as valuable as they claimed.

The fact that they had a world class guide at a moments notice, makes me think they knew about the loss of their claim before they arrived.

I like the show for the scenery, and the adventure, but like most of these shows, you have to read between the lines of their script, to get the real story.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, Im watching last weeks episode before the current one tonight.

I would like to offer my services as a consultant. I'd like to make this a bit more believable.

The scenery is wonderful, but the storyline looks like a redneck No Hunting highway sign full of buckshot.

It doesn't make sense. Things, important things, are left unexplained. It's almost like the editor/producer decided that the audience is so stupid that they would miss the gaping holes in the story.

The scenery is great. But I suppose this is just another TV time slot filler...

*sigh*

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just venting here....

~cue scary music

Everyone is on a ledge, loose rocks. One false step and we all die. Nothing below but death.

Rocks fall.

Perilous position, trapped in an area that's about to bring certain death.

Camera pan's the hillside showing the near death position of the crew inching along the rocks, moments away from death, no other way around and then...

Hey- why didn't you follow the cameraman. He is in a great place. It's safe and everything is FINE!

Just follow the cameraman!

Tau

Aug 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple explanation is that they lost nothing since they never had a right to the area in the first place. As they themself says in the clip, it wasn't them who named it "The Red Zone" and it wasn't them who found the stuff in the first place.

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/ice-cold-gold/video/the-red-zone-explained/

I for one applaude that the colonial Danish authorities (or whoever protected the area) dosen't allow foreign companys to take all the natural resorces that Greenland will need if it ever gets true independance from Denmark.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like this was the one by the Feldman boys, they left that region and film a 5-6 episode series called "Lost Gold," around 2017-18. I was in one with them and all I can say is those producers can mess up a good story. After it aired I was ticked to be honest. Then there was Sam and Colby. Now another one is planned, they say my book series caught there eye. It is being done by the ones that put out "Mountain Monsters."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread