Norman Lear's Classic TV shows being rebooted...

BruiserBrody

May 18, 2011
?All in the Family,? ?Jeffersons? Reboots in the Works (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety

Sony Pictures Television is in very early stages of rebooting several classic sitcoms from TV legend Norman Lear as miniseries – including “All in the Family,” “The Jeffersons,” and “Good Times” – Variety has learned exclusively. The idea currently being discussed by Lear and Sony executives would be to have new actors recreate classic episodes of the shows, working from the original scripts, and package them as short, six-episode anthologies. The scripts would be treated similar to plays being mounted in new productions. “There is some talk about doing some of the original shows, redoing them with today’s stars,” Lear told Variety. “There is a possibility that we’ll do ‘All in the Family,’ ‘Maude,’ ‘The Jeffersons,’ “Good Times.'

WHY? A lot of the progressive angles those shows took are now common place and no longer culturally significant taboos.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Whaddya do when you run out of imagination? You copy and repeat old stuff. Wow, way to go Sony! :BangHead: I couldn't stand most of those shows when they were on. Glad I won't be missing anything now, either!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read where The Honeymooners are under consideration to do a remake. Leave it alone ! Zero imagination.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
total waste imo

of the ones mentioned in the quote, All in the Family was the only one I watched,
But odds are in this Politically Stunted world, it will be no were near as Funny as Season 1
of AITF was

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Look what happened when they tried to remake Bonanza! Just get over it Hollywood. Life changes - Carry on!

We watch some newer movies via a subscription to Netflix's dvd.com, but most of our viewing entertainment comes from older shows and movies. Some have been downloaded, but we're getting all we can on DVD as well.

Just recently got the sets for The Waltons, Daniel Boone, and Davy Crockett. Wow, we're cutting edge around here! :thumbsup:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kcm I can completely relate! I'll bet 50% of what I watch is in black and white . A lot of the Super cool Westerns. Have Gun will Travel ,Wanted dead, etc. I believe the money folks have it figured that they can buy the rights to older shows, instead of hiring writers to be creative and the bottom line is all that counts. Do they really think there is an actor that can do a better job than Gleason as Ralph?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not just that Rod. With newer shows/movies, there's too much perceived pressure that everything has to be newer, bolder, bloodier, sexier, filthier - ie:, BETTER. :dontknow:

I know Bill Cosby gets a bad rap nowdays, and I honestly have no idea of whether the man did horrible things or not. It wouldn't surprise me. However, that doesn't change the fact that his earlier work is absolutely clean and over-the-top hilarious! You don't need all the language and sex and blood-n-gore to make a movie work. All you need are good-hearted writers. I've heard that Walt Disney was no saint, but I also bet he's rolling in his grave at what Disney has been throwing out these past few years!

Imo, there's NO shortage of good writers. Maybe there is a limit to good ideas. But a lot also has to do with the fact that this world of today is not the world we had 60, 70, even 80 years ago. Back then, kids respected their parents more. Violence was looked down upon, as was sex outside of marriage. Honesty and values were taught. Go back 150 years and kids then were learning many things in grade school that are no longer taught until college, if even then.

The world has changed and, in my humble opinion, not for the better. Stories of how things used to be are limited, because that era was limited to that time. Modern stories have to reflect more the modern times. Sadly, this also includes all of the many things that are supposed to make life more enjoyable (technology). Yes, technology helps in many ways, such as the internet and Tnet, for one. But the internet also opened up a whole new world of life. Online banking + cyber thieves. Online sales + corporate hacking. Websites and forums + data mining. As with life, all new good includes all new bad.

For those newer programs that can somehow leave out the vulgarity and the overkill-sex and the blood-&-gore, they have a hit on their hands. But one day in the not so distant future, even those programs will no longer draw the crowds or the money that are necessary for the entertainment industry to survive.

Another very LARGE problem IS money! Back in the black & white days, actors got paid much more menial amounts. Now, seems you have to earn big $$$$$ just to consider accepting a role. Movies have to make $200 million just to break even!! What kind of craziness is that??

Excuse me while I spend my R&R time actually relaxing to something that soothes the pains of the modern world. I still watch newer programs, but my mainstay, BY FAR, are older shows that have class.

Sidenote: Just got finished watching a newer movie - Hyena Road by Paul Gross (the Canadian Mountie from the series Due South). Is a gripping movie about a portion of the war in Afghanistan. Have no idea whether it's a factual place (Hyena Road), but was a good movie. I expect there to be some language in the military, but was almost a little too much F-word in this one. I've spent my life in construction/manufacturing, military and fire fighting. I'm no stranger to language!! But there's a time and a place. Now that I've seen the movie, I will now delete it and never see it again. The M*A*S*H series on DVD? I'll keep that forever!!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kcm you nailed it. I'm always amazed at the money that a film [ or tv show] will make. For instance Jurassic Park. Theater runs it made 100s of millions. then dvd 100's of millions; syndication on HBO ,Showtime, Netflix, etc. Dang, how much money do they have to make ? And I'm the most pro-capitalist on Earth!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got nothing against them making money - and even making as much as they can! It's "what they're willing to do in order to make that money" that I at times have trouble accepting. True, there are certain types of movies that just aren't realistic without the language, or the violence, etc, etc. But why place it there "just for effect"??

Another thing - the original Star Trek series had their version of the Enterprise. Yet later movies, for example, show earlier ships that are sleeker and can do more than the original, even though they were supposed to pre-date the original series. Like, WHAT?!?!? There seems to be a race to see just what cutting-edge graphics, special effects, and video can be put into movies. For cryin' out loud, keep it more simplified. Sure, it's nice to watch some of the special effects now and then. It's awe-inspiring! But there IS a thing as going overboard. Same goes for other aspects; language, violence, sex, etc. The key is moderation - a trait that mankind (in general) does not seem to work well with.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kcm I can completely relate! I'll bet 50% of what I watch is in black and white . A lot of the Super cool Westerns. Have Gun will Travel ,Wanted dead, etc. I believe the money folks have it figured that they can buy the rights to older shows, instead of hiring writers to be creative and the bottom line is all that counts. Do they really think there is an actor that can do a better job than Gleason as Ralph?

Sorry But isn't Screaming "bang Zoom ! To The Moon !" known as spousal abuse to the state of California ?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry But isn't Screaming "bang Zoom ! To The Moon !" known as spousal abuse to the state of California ?
Actually, I think it's known in the state of Cornyfornia to cause cancer. :laughing9:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you imagine the Honeymooners and All in the Family once the political correctness and thought police have censured them? It's like watching the "corrected " version of Blazing Saddles. Pretty sorry

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we could always go the other direction and turn Beaver Clever into....no, I won't go there! (...might actually give Hollywood an idea they'd wanna use!) BIG Headache smiley.gif

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we could always go the other direction and turn Beaver Clever into....no, I won't go there! (...might actually give Hollywood an idea they'd wanna use!) View attachment 1392959

Turn him Or Dennis the Menace into a Serial Killer, I'd watch

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but you don't have a life. ...That's why you're a Super Mod! :laughing9:

View attachment 1392995

not exactly sure what that means, But Dennis accidentally Spending a Rare Coin that belonged to
Mr. Wilson, has been done already. But "Dennis the Menace" Killing Mrs. Wilson & Collecting Arms & Legs in his Tree house would be New & Innovative .

by the way, Best new Comedy I've seen this year.."Stan Against Evil"

This scene almost had me on the floor.
But I guess you gotta see it in Context from Episode 1 on

& that is his possessed dimwit Daughter

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that the name of the show? Stan Against Evil??

I'll have to try to look it up some time when we're in town. (have to use free wi-fi for video)

As for the above post, it means: We may pick on ya', but we still luvs ya'!! :laughing7: ...From afar, of course! :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea "Stan Against Evil" I missed it's original Run.
But after catching a rerun

I binge watched the 8 25 Minute Episodes on OnDemand

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread