Cash and Treasure, reality?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, so I'm sitting here watching Cash and Treasure on the Travel Channel with Kirsten Gum. She was out in California. Paying fifty bucks, she begins to dig Termaline, a pretty little crystal.

So she takes the gem, one of many she found, to L.A. to have it mounted. It turns out to be worth FIFTEEN THOUSAND dollars, according to the guy who mounted it. (and got a free spot on the television)

While doing some digging, you get to see everyone finding lots of the little gems. She goes into a mine and just starts plucking them out of the mud, easy as can be.

Se seems to be one rather lucky lady. She finds some really good items, pretty quickly.

So I'm thinking I should quit my day job, and dig Termaline in Califorinia, rubies in North Carolina, and Gold in Georgia or Alaska. It all looks very easy, and highly profitable. So I say to myself, "Self, lets get rich!."

Real, or simply more TV magic? Darest we pop my bubble and I go back to work?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's alright man... me & my brother were saying the same things tonight when we watched her. Although, opposed to the small amounts of gold she was panning... I'd rather us go to Arizona and detect for nuggets. We'd probably fair alot better that route. Tourmaline is lucrative, though it was said before that the rubies that they had found in previous episodes are worth more, carat for carat, than diamonds. It's all a matter of time and means of getting to those places. I wish I could shrug off everything in my life, college and all, for about 6 months or more and just do some prospecting. Anyway, enough dreaming for the night. Have a good one!

Bran <><

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITS ON THE TRAVEL CHANNEL *thump thump* is this thing on ?
treasure hunting comes in all forms mining for gold or mining your wallet.
i enjoy that watching show as much as watching a good grid lock game of chess :-\

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paint drying "the movie"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Tales said it all.

Personally I believe some of the Owners plant a Goodie,
then point her in the Right Direction.

it's Good for buisness to see a Major Find on TV.

The show itself seems pretty straight Forward.
Afterall she could have pulled a 3 OZ nugget out with
that Minelab. Instead it was nails & Other trash they showed.

and at $2000, a week (I believe that is what they said)
to hunt the site. they were not Advertising there.

As for Appraisals ; Take them with a Grain of Salt & Devide by 3
For resale Value Tops.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We watched the episode where she was 'tecting for gold in Alaska. I could not understand why they were spending time digging nails and rusty metal...

Did anybody notice what kind of detector she was using?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She was using the top of the Line Minelab Gold Detector
and you need to dig everything to find small gold Nuggets.

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most of the treasure comes from Her pay from the Travel Channel and our little 30 min. dreams. ;D Then we go to bed and get up the next moring
:'( >:( :-[ :'( :-\

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
A lot of it has to do with editing.

Bill Dance fishes all week, then the footage gets edited down to around 20 minutes. Wow! Suddenly he's hauling in one lunker after another! :o

Same thing on Cash & Treasures, I'd venture to say.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:

Bill Dance fishes all week, then the footage gets edited down to around 20 minutes. Wow! Suddenly he's hauling in one lunker after another! :o

Yes I'd hate to see a live episode of Cash & Treasure :P
you don't get far in a half hours time. With Comercials

& wanna see a show where she has to get Wet & Muddy.
Not just for the Entertainment,
But to see if She's Got the Treasure Hunter in her or
if she's just going through the Motions as long as she
dosn't Break a Nail.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
jeff of pa said:
PBK said:

Yes I'd hate to see a live episode of Cash & Treasure :P
you don't get far in a half hours time. With Comercials

& wanna see a show where she has to get Wet & Muddy.
Not just for the Entertainment,
But to see if She's Got the Treasure Hunter in her or
if she's just going through the Motions as long as she
dosn't Break a Nail.

I just would not mind just seeing her get wet and muddy. She is not half-bad looking. ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
They should have hired a couple of the members of TNet to do the hosting for that show - a young woman and a young man who know what treasure hunting is all about and who would work well together!
no good then it would be real

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and did you notice every 3 minutes "how much is that worth" pour out of her head
since its THE TRAVEL CHANNEL ::) maybe these people are promoting interstate commerce

tysdad

Dec 31, 2007
Im not going to bust your bubble ,but i wouldnt stop working.No rest for the weirry!Now then let me let you in on something,I WORK ON A CRUSHER ALL DAY ON A RIVER AND SURROUNDING AREAS IN A ORE RICH STATE WE CRUSH ROCK FOR A LIVEING .FIRST I SCREEN ALL THE MATERIAL THEN PUSH IT IN TO MAKE A ROCK FOR OUR ROADS.I SEE MANY NICE ROCKS IF U WILL AND ALOT OF HISTORY WOOD BONE QUARTS RED BLACK AND EVEN GREEN OBSIDION RED CORRAL FLINT. U NAME IT. BUT IF I TOOK IT ALL HOME I WOULD LOOK LIKE SANFORD AND SON.REALLY I DONT KNOW THE MARKET IF I DID I WOULD I THINK BE SET.I DO DREAM , ONE DAY TO BE SET WE ALL DO AND THIS IS WHY IM HEAR MAYBE WE ALL CAN HELP EACH OTHER . A LITTLE ENTHUSIEASAM GOES A LONG WAY........EDDIE

gotreasurehunting

Jan 8, 2008
West Monre, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I think that show is great. I'm not going to quit my day job or anything but I would love to just go and stay in one of those cities for about a week and try my luck. Probably the emerald mine in North Carolina first. A guy can dream can't he. The hostess is cute, too.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
It's the same exact thing as the ghosthunting TV shows. They are for your entertainment and to entice you to come to their castle/hotel/park/treasure trove and spend a few bucks to have fun.

In ghosthunting circles it's called "dark tourism". Go somewhere, bring a flashlight, be a complete noob and say out loud "is there anyone here who wants to talk to us?". Or the ever popular "WHAT WAS THAT!" as you run down the hallway screaming like a school girl much to the shagrin of the "serious" ghosthunters among you. Actually when it aids historical preservation I'm all for labeling a place "haunted" if it helps bring in some revenue.

In treasure hunting circles, they're playing on our wanderlust with a bit of get rich quick thrown in to entice us. I'm fine with it. I'll go to Herkimer NY on a diamond hunt or pay $20 for a bucket of dirt to sluice and find my little shiny "gemstone". It's for fun. No harm no foul.

It's when this stuff gets taken too seriously that noses get bent out of shape. So go out, be a treasure tourist and enjoy your freedom to do so. Better yet, sluice some dirt by day and go ghosthunting by night. Entertainment 24/7. ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If I had a nickel for every time I've went out and not even paid for gas, I'd be rich! ;)

But then there are the good days, also. :)

It's all good, even if I get skunked. I get to spend quality time with my son, enjoy fresh air, cook over an open fire, throw rocks, get rained on, find junque and crappe', and get to see the gleam in someone's eyes when they find their first chunk of yellow stuff! ;D

Two thumbs way up for "getting out and doing it", whatever "it" is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions