maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of a brass/bronze St. George toke, or meddle, that I recovered from a ship wreck, in the Baltic. Not sure if it was a British or Dutch ship, but was sunk around the late 1800's. So, does anyone have an idea what exactly was it used for? It seemed to be in the personal items of maybe the crew. The hole was already in it, I just attached the ring later. 050.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The reverse side depicts Christ in a boat with two of his apostles. (See Mark 6:45-46)
I believe the original owner wore the medallion for 'good luck' and 'safe passage'; affixed to a chain around his neck.
Don....

Last edited:
OP
OP
maipenrai

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon, Thanks a lot for the info. After 25 years of not knowing what it was, now there is a history. Although it didnt do much for the original owner, and almost cost me and my son our lives, its still nice to have. "Gold fever" at 75 feet deep and no air!

OP
OP
maipenrai

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said, "gold fever", lots of gold looking items, so too busy to watch my gauge. Using old double 10L tanks, no emergency air, one tank open the other closed. When that tank is low, you open and close the other, so you always have air, but my tanks were too low on my back, and couldnt reach the valve, so up we went. Water temp was 4c, no, didnt hold my breath, and didnt let my goody bag drop either! First dive for my son, in cold water, so he was very cold, and in a bit of shock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions