Laws in utah

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I have metal detected parks and schools all over the state, and have never run into any problem. I had a groundskeeper in American Fork try to kick me out, but a quick call to his boss got that straightened out rather quickly 8) . Always look at the signs just in case, and don't try to get into any areas that are fenced and locked for obvious reasons. Also, know how to dig, and leave no trace! Fillin your holes! I will get off my soapbbox, but other tnet members have their parks ban metal detectors thanks to a few inconsiderate "people"(my way of being nice, taking a deep breath).

I didn't look to see where you live, but I can give you ideas of parks to work in Utah County if you would like...Ryan

OP
OP
utah1066

utah1066

Nov 10, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
TITAN 3000 XD ,DFX, Minelab X-Terra 705 L Rods
OK Utah hunter thanks and i live in layton, Davis county, i may be going out this weekend,
Walt

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had a problem with hunting public parks in Utah. I have only ever seen one park that specifically forbid metal detecting. It was labeled with a sign.

Please use the appropriate tools for target recovery. Do your best at leaving no trace. Please carry a trash pouch and pick up the trash you dig. I have seen people throw trash up around trees and leave large unfilled holes. I have had to follow behind them and do my best to fix the damage done.

Yes it is one of my pet peeves that people do damage to our hobby.

Good luck and let me know if you find much. Right now duck hunting is my game unless I get a cherry spot, so you wont see me detecting much.

You should also think about joining the club that meets in Ogden. December is our members Christmas party but if you want to come, January is a good month because it is find of the year.

Suckerpunched

Nov 15, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Pennyfarmer,,,,,would you give me more info on this club????????? where? when?
Also, although being new to this adventure, I have detected at several parks in the Ogden area with no problems other than curious stares from other patrons.....

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
While we're on the subject, I intend to spend some time at state parks in Utah this summer. Anyone know of any restrictions on MDing?

Cheers,
DR

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
BARGuy said:
While we're on the subject, I intend to spend some time at state parks in Utah this summer. Anyone know of any restrictions on MDing?

Cheers,
DR

IAW Utah Parks and Recreation Rules: R651-620-6. Metal Detecting - a permit is required.
http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/ParkRules&Regulations08.pdf

Utah State Parks and Recreation
1594 West North Temple, Suite 116
P.O. Box 146001
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114
(801) 538-7220
(877) UT-PARKS (toll free)
[email protected]

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
grndfisher...TNX for the link!...although I wasn't tickled with the info contained therein!

Cheers, DR

OP
OP
utah1066

utah1066

Nov 10, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
TITAN 3000 XD ,DFX, Minelab X-Terra 705 L Rods
pennyfarmer i would like more info on the club in Ogden
thanks Walter

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I checked with the local park ranger here in Cedar & they told me that there was no problem hunting the state parks. He did not know anything about a permit but said that I would have to pay the day fee that is charged.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bula said:
I checked with the local park ranger here in Cedar & they told me that there was no problem hunting the state parks. He did not know anything about a permit but said that I would have to pay the day fee that is charged.
I hunted Deer Creek State Park last summer when the water was super low. I just got permission from the park ranger and he said no problem good luck. From what I understand you dont really need a permit, just permission from the ranger from each state park.

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
bula said:

Hard to argue with the regulations as printed. I also called the state and they reiterated what is in the regs.

My take on all of this is if you get permission on the local level go for it! I would get the ranger's name and make note of the time that you talked with them though. You could find that the next ranger actually knows the regs and is willing to enforce them.

In my conversation with the state they also stated that even with a permit you would be required to turn everything in to the state. They keep what ever you find. I asked if that included bottle caps and pop-tops. They didn't see the humor :(

HH ;D

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
bula said:
I hunted Deer Creek State Park last summer when the water was super low. I just got permission from the park ranger and he said no problem good luck. From what I understand you dont really need a permit, just permission from the ranger from each state park.

Again, IAW the regs you need a permit. I talked with the state and they said the permit was issued by each individual park. Like I said before, if you ask the local ranger and he tells you to go for it I would start detecting but only after I got his name.

I would take advantage of what ever opportunity you can but all the time knowing that you could face legal issues in doing so. There is no guarantee that because the local ranger isn't up to speed on state regulations that it absolves you from wrong doing. It isn't fair but when dealing with government nothing is.

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
bula said:

me and couple of friend was at antelope island ask the park ranger she said it ok but not at the beaches. about a month after that we was metal detecting some men came up and said we could get find we told them that the ranger said we could but we stop and never been back there.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Logan forbids it (per online).
Brigham says no digging holes in the parks (interpret that one-per online).
Tremonton doesn't care so long as the plugs are replaced (per the city works office).

I think I have covered Box Elder County for you...

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Opie has done research behind Logan's ban. We can thank the USU students for using garden spades to dig one foot by one foot divets....

New Digger

Mar 4, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro with 12" 300 coil,Sef Wss 10x5 coil,6x10 dd coil,10"dd coil,9" spider
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hunter, I live in Utah County and would love to know were I can hunt. I am new at this
Thanks New Digger

Last edited:

Sheena

Aug 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to detecting as well in Utah County. I was wondering if you did find some places. I've been to Utah Lake and played in my yard a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread