No Metal Detecting in Any Logan City Parks!

Rusty Hammer

Mar 3, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

A friend of mine reserved a group area for a family reunion this summer with Logan City Parks Dept.

When the information packet arrived from the Parks Dept. for the reunion...

They found that there is NO Metal Detection in the parks!

They called me right a way to let me know to stay out of Logan City Parks with my detectors.

All I can say, is something happen for Logan City to band MDing...

Just though I would pass it along... We all need to be on best behavior when in public parks.

If they close the Salt Lake County parks to MDing. I will have two detector for sell...

HH
R.H.

Utahdigger

Aug 23, 2008
Salt Lake City
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
What a bunch of "CARP". I would be really interested in finding out why this has happened. I dont see what the point of closing it down to MD'ers would be unless there was damage that occurred or someone dig half way to China and hit a powerline? If the latter is the case, they should ban crispy fried people from Logan park! ;D Should this happen closer to the parks i frequently detect, i will raise a huge stink. Not that it will have any effect, but all public officials that may have a say in it will be notified frequently. First off though, I would ask who has made the change. find a name and start from there. Tragic.

OP
OP
Rusty Hammer

Rusty Hammer

Mar 3, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Utahdigger said:
What a bunch of "CARP". I would be really interested in finding out why this has happened. I dont see what the point of closing it down to MD'ers would be unless there was damage that occurred or someone dig half way to China and hit a powerline? If the latter is the case, they should ban crispy fried people from Logan park! ;D Should this happen closer to the parks i frequently detect, i will raise a huge stink. Not that it will have any effect, but all public officials that may have a say in it will be notified frequently. First off though, I would ask who has made the change. find a name and start from there. Tragic.

I have a few friends that live in the Logan area and visit Logan many time through out the year.
Maybe, I will drop by City Hall next time I am in the area and fine out what's the deal?
I will follow up with report...
The Logan parks were on my things to do list, up until now... "G, Whiz"

HH
R.H.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there signs stating you can not detect in the parks? I know of one park in the Ogden area that is off limits and has been for years F.B out in West Ogden and it is posted. This is starting to get bad.

Utahdigger

Aug 23, 2008
Salt Lake City
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
I just cant understand what would cause a public area to be off limits? It could be that one person left a couple big holes and the perception just turned sour. However, these are still PUBLIC areas. I have been to many parks where people abuse the pavillions and yet those are not closed down. People can leave trash on the bank of a lake and fishing is not curtailed. Yet MOST MD's are quiet, clean, and respectful. Not only do we not leave trash behind, but i dare say we are one of the very few groups that carry out more garbage than we show up with. Our intent is not malicious as we are generally looking for $1.75 in small change and dare i say it, the hope of finding something historical and relevant to our area. No, no i am not pleased with this.

OP
OP
Rusty Hammer

Rusty Hammer

Mar 3, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Utahdigger said:
I just cant understand what would cause a public area to be off limits? It could be that one person left a couple big holes and the perception just turned sour. However, these are still PUBLIC areas. I have been to many parks where people abuse the pavilions and yet those are not closed down. People can leave trash on the bank of a lake and fishing is not curtailed. Yet MOST MD's are quiet, clean, and respectful. Not only do we not leave trash behind, but i dare say we are one of the very few groups that carry out more garbage than we show up with. Our intent is not malicious as we are generally looking for $1.75 in small change and dare i say it, the hope of finding something historical and relevant to our area. No, no i am not pleased with this.

I know what your saying... Vandal destroy property. If Logan city thinks MDing is vandalism...

We are done MDing in Logan parks. One bag apple can spoil the whole bunch... (It is easier to close a area, than to control a area.)

If Logan City pasted a law about MDing in there parks. Maybe, we should change the law to MDing with permits only or something like that?

The city would love the $5.00 permit fee. Then they could control the park areas and make a buck too.

BTW: MDing is not a right. It's privilege.

Privilege can and are taken away at anytime . (IE: your driver licence is a Privilege not a right.)

Anyway, sorry is not good news.

To me, it like Yogi Beara said. "It's not over until it over!" or something like that.

R.H.

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
I think the problem lies with the few morons that grabbed thier grandpas detector and have no idea what they are doing. They probably don't even care to look up info on the net. They just heard grandpa say how he found silver by the bag full in the 70's and they think they can walk out and do it. This is a very isolated case, but it only takes once. If the city knew that most of us uphold the detectorist ethics, maybe they would make an exception. I reccomend going to a council meeting with a brief presentation on MDings finer crowd. aka the majority.

OP
OP
Rusty Hammer

Rusty Hammer

Mar 3, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UTcoinshootR said:
I think the problem lies with the few morons that grabbed thier grandpas detector and have no idea what they are doing. They probably don't even care to look up info on the net. They just heard grandpa say how he found silver by the bag full in the 70's and they think they can walk out and do it. This is a very isolated case, but it only takes once. If the city knew that most of us uphold the detectorist ethics, maybe they would make an exception. I reccomend going to a council meeting with a brief presentation on MDings finer crowd. aka the majority.

If you know something, I don't...
Walk right up to the mike and tell us.
I am all ears.

How is your old gram-pa anyway? He just called and wants his metal detector back.

This is not about what you think...

But, how can we fix it. So it don't happen again in the next town. Understand?

When you and your ethics are out doing your best work.

Think about it? Get off the key board and figure it out.

They Closed The PARK To Metal Detecting!
R.H.

BTW nice photo of you on your bike. LOL

OP
OP
Rusty Hammer

Rusty Hammer

Mar 3, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Papa Bear said:

Thanks for posting the link. After reading all the Logan City park rules. Look to me like... It won't be long until no one is allowed to use the City Parks in Logan. That the public parks are only for show not go... Time to sharpen up my voting pencils. Don't let this happen in your City Parks in Utah. It's just to hard to get our freedom back, after it's gone.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Has anyone followed up with Logan City and asked why MDing is banned?

Dan Bear

Mar 18, 2013
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the legality of metal detecting in Smithfield, Utah parks? (Logan's neighbor to the north). I just returned from my most successful hunt to date; three dimes and four pennys... all clad. I need somewhere new to go.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup. Not many get on here though. Try :laughing7:book. Utah Metal Detecting.

BuckRogers2000

Aug 24, 2016
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hm, old thread with great information for a new detector.

As the current camp host at Beaver Mountain Ski Resort, it saddens me to learn of Logan City's ban. :(

JessieLin

Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm located in Wellsville and looking to hire someone with experience and a metal detector to come help me find my husband's wedding ring..are any of you local?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions