Silver City

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ran across this I thought I would share. This was 8 years ago so I think we missed the boat, but still interesting................ In recent years much the Silver City town site was burnt in a grass fire. The fire destroyed all remaining wooden structures but it also took away most of the weeds and sagebrush. Foundations, footings and rubble that had been obscured by undergrowth for years was again made visible. The fire provided a bonanza for treasure hunters with metal detectors. It is rumored that four double eagle U.S. $20 dollar gold pieces were recently found near the old school yard. A friend with a metal detector, recently found a silver dollar that was minted in 1898 and other artifacts............

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Picture of some of the Silver City artifacts found:

Attachments

• ssartifacts.jpg
    ssartifacts.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 812

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got in on the Silver City deal after it burned. I found out about it about 1 month after it was getting hit pretty hard. I still found lots of neat things including a silver city token and a intact miners lamp.

This happened about 10 years ago it seems.

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I knew it was long over, but still a nice story....I would settle for any find in the pic! Has the old Tintric district been hit pretty hard over the years? Played out that is. I get over that way and in fact was at the old Silver City cemetery. No digging there of course LOL

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually think it might have been 13+ years ago because it seems that I was still hunting with my Tesoro Bandito II.

Ever since that experience I always pay attention to where the wild fires are just so that I can check for ghost towns in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread