Utah

geomorph

Dec 30, 2006
Orem, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hi Mag99004,
Utah is a BIG state.... where are you located. I am in Orem and would love to link up for some MDing sometime. The temperature is single digit this morning, so we probably would want to wait until Spring. Email me at tyler at allred-astro dot com if you are interested.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks,
Tyler

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Hi Mag

Your post is a few months old but if you are still looking are you in the North or South part ?

Kevin72

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Trying to decide what to buy!
Provo Ut here!! Love to rock hound and pan for gold!! Dont have a MD yet but would LOVE to go out and run around in the hills with you guys! My wife and I are very outdoorsy people! Let me know and by the way WELCOME TO UTAH!!! My email is [email protected] Have a great day! Kevin and Rachel

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
We are in North Ogden. I think we may be getting a bit more Winter but I was able to go out and MD on our side yard today. This house was built in 1938 on the site of an old turkey coop belonging to a farm on the North foothill. I went only about 20 feet hits are a couple of feet apart lots of nails some square, 1/2 of a steamer trunk hinge and 40 cents clad.

Do you know if the parks in Provo are open to MD ? Ogden got tired of holes being left ect. and passed an ordinance against it. I think that either little or big cottonwood canyon has some color if you like to pan.

We should get together sometime in the Summer and see what we can find.

OB

Kevin72

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
I will check on the parks here! Lots of big open spaces thats for sure. I would LOVE to go check out the Cottonwood Canyons sometime! Sounds fun. I will respond when I find out about the MDing in Provo here.....Thanks for the post OB.....................Kevin!

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Hi Kevin,

I don't know how much you have had a chance to research and do some looking around. If you want to see some details of one area in the state South and East of you here is a link to a site that has some interesting stats: http://www.unicomining.com/investments/1997report.php

The Deer Trail ore was first discovered by deer hunters in 1878. Over 10,000 tons of ore were produced prior to the turn of the century, which is reported to have assayed over an ounce of gold per ton. The mine again produced from 1918 to 1923. Approximately 140,000 tons of ore were mined and treated. Nearly 200,000 ounces of gold and well over 1.5 million ounces of silver were produced.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache...+tertiary+channels&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=118&gl=us

Now that is a long url

OB

Kevin72

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Thanks OB Your awesome! Im gonna check it out! Again Thanks..............Kevin

T

treasurejack

Thinking of taking a MDing trip out your way, see the country, maybe some fly fishing, do a little hiking but nothing too crazy. With that in mind, can any of you tell me what the MDing laws are on your state land and national forest? Or perhaps a link to the information? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
treasurejack

To the best of my knowledge federal lands have a uniform policy but you can always contact the district ranger or BLM office who is over the area where you plan to go. If you let me know where you plan to be I can look up the DRs contact info for you.
I had a cordial and helpful response from everyone that I have contact with in respect to the US Forest Service offices.

In most places out in the boonies it's not a big deal but wilderness areas, national monuments are off limits and the rules concerning historic sites apply statewide. Avoid looting "abandoned" structures some folks come here and mistakely assume they are fair game but it can be jail time. A large portion of the state is unpopulated or very sparsely populated so you may not even see anyone else for the duration of your stay depending on where.

I looked up the state code and here is the official language this is kind of broad but includes the entire code verbatim.

65A-3-1. Trespassing on state lands -- Penalties.
(1) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor and liable for the civil damages prescribed in Subsection (2) if he:
(a) without written authorization from the division:
(i) removes, extracts, uses, consumes, or destroys any mineral resource, gravel, sand, soil, vegetation, or improvement on state lands;
(ii) grazes livestock on state lands;
(iii) uses, occupies, or constructs improvements or structures on state lands;
(iv) uses or occupies state lands for more than 30 days after the cancellation or expiration of written authorization;
(v) knowingly and willfully uses state lands for commercial gain; or
(vi) appropriates, alters, injures, or destroys any historical, prehistorical, archaeological, or paleontological resource on state lands; or
(b) uses or occupies state lands in violation of division rules.
(2) A person who commits any act described in Subsection (1) is liable for damages in the amount of:
(a) three times the value of the mineral or other resource removed, destroyed, or extracted;
(b) three times the amount of damage committed; or
(c) three times the consideration which would have been charged by the division for use of the land during the period of trespass.
(3) In addition to the damages described in Subsection (2), a person found guilty of a misdemeanor under Subsection (1) is subject to the penalties provided in Section 76-3-204.
(4) Money collected under this section shall be deposited in the fund in which like revenues from that land would be deposited.

Amended by Chapter 267, 1995 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 65A03002.ZIP 2,556 Bytes

65A-3-2. Prohibited acts on state lands.
(1) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who:
(a) throws or places any lighted cigarette, cigar, firecracker, ashes, or other flaming or glowing substance which may cause a fire on a highway or wildland;
(b) obstructs the state forester, or any of his deputies, in the performance of controlling a fire;
(c) refuses, on proper request of the state forester or any of his deputies, to assist in the controlling of a fire, without good and sufficient reason; or
(d) fires any tracer or incendiary ammunition anywhere except within the confines of established military reservations.
(2) Fines assessed under this section are deposited in the General Fund.

Enacted by Chapter 121, 1988 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 65A03003.ZIP 1,997 Bytes

City park regs are determined by the government of the city in question. Some are closed already due to damage done by the unthinking MDers leaving holes and grass damage. Any where else permission is the key as far as I am concerned. Where vacant lots are concerned if the lot is in a commercial area most of the time people just go at it without permission it seems.

There are some outstanding places to go fly fishing here. Lots of clear streams and rivers. The waters are mostly from snowmelt and springs so in the spring and early summer can be cold. Whirling disease in trout exists in a few areas so there you wash up your gear before leaving a known infected area just get the mud off. Here's a link to the state wildlife site.

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/index.php

OB

T

treasurejack

Thanks for the info Oldbill, I'll look into it a bit deeper this weekend.
Not sure where I will be? In fact, I just made a post in the "Everything Else" forum in an effort to gather ideas for the trip. I'm just trying to put together an MDing/treasure hunting/outdoor adventure with some variety, "a couple of days of this, a couple of days of that" sort of thing.

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Sounds good treasurejack. If you are in the northern part of the state give me a holler and I will hook you up with a couple of good fishing spots. One has some big browns and the other is mostly rainbows.

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mag99004,
i live in Roy Utah got a few area i like to detect here too one in plain city the other hooper that an old school house there that been turn into a home the school is between 1800s to 1900s

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
I am actually heading down to Marysville this weekend to do a little prospecting with my uncle who lives there. There is a ton of history down there and some pretty interesting things to check out up Bullion Canyon including an open air mining museum and some old buildings. You have to be careful where you go since there are still many active claims that are maintained by Unico and the Dear Trail Mining Company and they are going through the old dumps to recover as much ore as they can as well as mining the tunnels inside the mountain. You don't want to get into any trouble. As far as I know though the streams are fair game for panning and if you are lucky enough to find an old dump that isn't part of an existing claim you can find some unrecovered gold and/or silver. For you relic hunters and MDers Bullion City was once the county seat for Paiute County and was very busy with activity. There are also other areas that were huge establishments up there in the Tusher Range and you might be able to locate some interesting finds. I will let you all know what I come up with when I return from my weekend trip. Wish me luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread