Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stay away from the city parks. Logan City has banned MDing there. I would go to your library and look for 'A History of Cache County, Utah Centennial County History Series'. The most important thing to do is research, research, research.......

Here are some websites for your arsenal:

Utah Government Publications Online

www.oldmapsonline.org

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex

Also drive around the outlying country, and look for the older houses. When you ask permission, tell them who you are, and what you are asking to do. You will want to get around the houses and in the fields immediately around them. If you cannot cut a plug in grass and put it back with a minimal scar, I suggest that you practice in your own yard first.

I am over in Box Elder County. PM me your email address and cell number. If I am heading in your direction, I will let you know.

Check out my posts and you will see that I am prepared to drive to find relics.

Welcome to the addiction.

James

Last edited:

Dan Bear

Mar 18, 2013
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too live in Logan. Today was only my second day of detecting EVER. You should head up Logan Canyon only a few miles and try out some of the campgrounds and picnic areas. Some of the campgrounds are still off limits to people, but some are not. Lots of trash, but I believe they hold potential. Areas covered with leaves are still frozen underneath, so dig the open areas. I'm looking for someone to go with. Let me know if you want to go. -Dan-

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, any and all private property is available to you up in the Cache Valley area. just get written permission. I should point out to anyone reading this that the following Cities do not allow the sport. Logan City, Brigham City, Perry City, Tremonton City, Ogden City, many places have ordinances against it, but don't bother enforcing it, however some go all out on the enforcement part. The hobby has really boiled down to private property and special permissions.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I too live in Logan. Today was only my second day of detecting EVER. You should head up Logan Canyon only a few miles and try out some of the campgrounds and picnic areas. Some of the campgrounds are still off limits to people, but some are not. Lots of trash, but I believe they hold potential. Areas covered with leaves are still frozen underneath, so dig the open areas. I'm looking for someone to go with. Let me know if you want to go. -Dan-

And stay off Federal Property...National Forest, BLM is a big no no....

Wildwest99

Greenie
Jun 25, 2014
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And stay off Federal Property...National Forest, BLM is a big no no....

Where did you find this info? This is what i have found for BLM land. I dont want to go somewhere i'm not supposed to.

Metal detecting is a recreational activity that people do to find coins, jewelry, and precious metals. Metal detecting is allowed on BLM lands as long as no artifacts are removed. Artifacts should be left alone and reported to the appropriate Field Office. Avoid all cultural and archeological sites. The Metal Detecting enthusiast may remove some rocks (handful) from areas such as picnic areas, campground areas, and recreational sites. The enthusiasts may remove some rocks as long as there not being removed from another mining claim. Mining claims can be researched on the LR2000 (LR2000- BLM). Enthusiasts are only allowed to make minimal surface disturbance (i.e. removing a couple of stones for memories).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread