NEL Hunter coil on Elite 2200

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So for those of you who have wondered about the NEL coils on any Bounty Hunter Detectors? Here ya go!
Hunter Coil 12.5” x 8.5” This has been a fun coil on a Elite 2200, (Discovery 2200) adds close to 2” depending on what you are doing. The sensitivity can be cranked using this coil, but it works better if you click it down a bit. Target separation is improved but not by what you might think. The coil swings well, but remember your adding 4 ½ “ in length and a half inch in width, so there is a noticeable difference. Click the lower unit up one click and make sure you tighten the rod nut. Don’t over wrap the coil wire too tight up the rod, this will cause some feedback off the metal handle, it’s a sensitive coil! I was asked if it out performs the Fisher 11” coil?
A coil is what a coil is. By this I mean, any coil difference is a difference in the coil. The Fisher is 11” long and 7” wide, your gaining an 1 ½ “ in length and an 1 ½ in width with the NEL and the wire used on the NEL is larger wire with more shielding, so “Yes” there is a difference, but again not much.
Now some like to point out the worthlessness of buying a $115 dollar coil for a $115-200 dollar detector. To them I would say this, “Ya ya what ever, get over it!”
I use an old Tracker IV out on the Great Salt Lake, in areas where I’ve tried other more costly units that failed to work because of the high Salt and mineral content. So if I needed that extra 2 inches, or even just that extra inch, from a unit that worked in those conditions, even if it’s considered a cheap unit, it was worth it to buy a different coil to achieve this.
All major manufactures make high end units that are cost copped with lesser end coils on them. If it did not matter what the coil was, there would not be an existing market for them or be existing options for smaller or larger coils.
Sure a $100 dollar detector is just that, but in a world where they can cost as much as a few thousand dollars, what makes your $500 dollar detector any different?
I’ve tested the coil on the following; Discovery 3300, Lonestar, Sharpshooter, elite 2200, I plan to add the results of them all on the forum.
Good hunting and stay gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread