Huntin in/around Cedar City

BigRich

Greenie
Apr 11, 2007
I moved to Cedar about a year ago.. and had no idea about the rich history of Utah until I moved here. It's mind boggling, now I go out to the hills all the time just to look around and see if I can catch a glimpse of ANYTHING. While I have found a few spots that are neat (shotput man, petroglyphs behind golf course and others) I was wondering if anyone has like a collection of stories and treasure huntin tales of lost mines, caches, etc. in the southern utah area. Summers coming up and I want to see everything I possibly can, and maybe even find some neat stuff. So, anyone have any neat stories or know any neat spots?

Thanks 8)

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently live just north of St. George, what sort of places are there around here? PM me if you can help or give suggestions. Thanks

Tom Walter

Greenie
Feb 19, 2005
Those of you familiar with Cedar City, Utah.

I've heard from various sources that there are symbols/script (?) to be found above the stone carving referred to as 'Shotput man.' I'm aware of the 'mystery glyphs' located a half mile or so north of the carving. Does someone know of anything located above the carving?

Thanks.

Tom

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
wander aimlessly in circles with camera in hand
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, the only symbol I know of above the SPM is part of the carving itself and not up the hill. I think we talked about it once and you thought it may have something to do with a distance measurement, I am wondering if this squared out portion above the shot put could be indicating a vault or accumulation room in the area. i am beginning to think that perhaps the SPM is much older than I originally thought and the spanish may have added thier marks latter ,nothing has been confirmed. ////bob.

Shecker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2007
I am new to this forum but will happily share information that I have. I use to live in Beaver and learned a great deal about ther history of the area. There is an old spanish mine somewhere in the upper Fremont Creek area south of Beaver. It supposedly was a rich producer of gold. Various artifacts have been found in that area, including copper ore buckets. But the mine itself is still unfound. There is also supposed an extremely rich lost gold lode west of Beaver in the area of Adamsville. There is a contact zone in that area between voilcanic rock and limestone that should prove interesting. I once found a piece of high grade ruby silver near that contact zone but I was not able to trace it to its source.

Good hunting.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Shecker, Tom Walter and Kanabite,

Welcome to TN.
I don't get over to Western UT much anymore but the East and North East parts are still quite fine dor hunting.
Will help where I can

OD

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey schecker , thanks for the FYI . i knew some stuff about Kimberly , but had not heard about Fremont creek before .wonder how far south this mysterious vein runs ? there were more modern silver strikes in the general area but not much info on gold ....the spanish were here .... the spanish were here.... just can't figure out what they were looking for....or should I say where.... :o ////bob.

O

onewatt

In the kanab area there are many mines and caves that people over the years were sure contained the treasure of montezuma. Of course, there are probably hundreds of small towns like that where the locals say "Montezuma's gold is somewhere around here." Johnson Canyon, just east of Kanab, in particular has many abandoned mines where people thought for sure they had found the gold.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been treasure hunting around cedar for 39 years. There is supposed to be a spanich mine above the archery range in cedar canyon,i craweled into it once when i was a teenager. There is another below cedar breaks and another over by the ghost town of newhouse. there is supposed to be a gold coin cache underneth a hotel parking lot on main street. good luck....kane23

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaphs one day we might parlay . seems to me you would have a vast knowledge about some other things that you have not mentioned here yet . there is great strength in numbers as I am sure you already know.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do mostly newer change because I have no one to go with anymore,still i have 25 silver rings this year,over 6000 coins,a few oldies like a 1889 indian head from a ghost town,a 1912-s cent and a few silver coins,nothing like the glory days of the 70's and 80's when i found several gold coins. I still have a few forays left in me....Kane23

JDogg

Greenie
Dec 2, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm in the Cedar area as well and have been looking for all types of sites. Petroglyphs, artifacts, caves, mines, ghost towns, scenic, etc. Anything of interest.

It's hard to find people to talk to about these things and find out what's around here.
I've already found some on my own but would love to hear more......email me if you want to swap some info.

[email protected]

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Saint George Utah Aswell I live by the Dixie sign that he D in the side of the mountain, are here any good spots to hit with a metal detector ? Or how about arrow heads or obsidian is there any around here? Email me if you have any leads! Thanks!
[email protected]
Or
[email protected]

Both emails go right to my phone. I just bought a f2 fisher metal detector so I need to find some stuff to pay it off lol.. Thanks in advance!

Mar 4, 2016
Saint George, Utah
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, NEL Sharpshooter (my favorite coil), Sun Ray Pros Gold, Garrett Carrot, Predator Tools Piranha, Lesche Side Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever find anyone to hunt with? More importantly, have you found anywhere good to hunt, in or around St George Utah?

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live a bit further north, Delta to be exact, but I am always looking for folks to go exploring with. Some of you may want to find the book "Some Dreams Die" at your library, it has some cool stories of lost treasures and ghost towns.

Let me know if anyone is ever this far north!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread