First Hunt With 540

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my new 540 Pro Pack on Saturday. We had snow in northeast Ohio so today was the first day I could use it. On Sunday, I braved the cold and hit my test garden. The 540 hit all targets perfectly( the best showing of many detectors I have tested) The charger that is supplied with the package is not of the best quality. I had to use a screwdriver to remove the batteries. They are way too tight. Minelab does a terrible job explaining what the proper charger specs should be. I never did get the lights on the battery holder to show a complete charge. That is the worst of the entire package.

I watched many youtube videos and I set up a custom program using the coin mode. It is a very easy detector to adjust. The headphones paired without a hitch. This am I hit my favorite park(I have found over 800 silver coins here). I was using the custom "coin mode" with sens one away from max. The detector ran quiet and I immediately started finding zinc pennies. They read 18-20 and were shallow. I dug them to get a feel for the 540. This park is extremely trashy with 80 years of every kind of trash. The 540 was reading all and every piece with most being 16-18 signals which I found to be pull tabs.

I finally got a very scratchy high tone that jumped from 28 to 32. I checked the signal in all metal and there was an iron grunt three or four inches from the high tone. This easy access to the all metal makes checking signals easy and quick. From about 8 inches I saw a silver roosie. You can't beat that. Less than an hour and a silver coin. I closed the plug and rescanned in all metal and sure enough, there was iron three inches away. I was impressed at the separation and depth.

This park has some very steep hills and you need a light detector to work these slopes. The 540 was light enough for me to hunt them for an hour or so. I found four deep(7 inches plus) wheaties and 5 older Jefferson nickels. It was a joy to not have to lug my SE Pro on these hills. On my way to the truck, I hit a baseball field that I have pounded this spring with the SE Pro. I got very tight 30 signal that was 5 bars deep on the meter. I was excited and was expecting silver. Not a coin, but a silver cross with a rusted chain. 8 inches deep!

I had an Equinox when they first came out and loved the performance, but hated the angle of the grip. Most people don't have a problem, but I busted my wrists up from a motorcycle accident. The 540 suited my wrists just fine. 5 hours of detecting and no pain. The battery dropped one bar in five hours so hopefully I can get 10 hours or so before re-charging. All in all, the 540 is one heck of a bargain. I only used the 12 inch coil and it is not nose heavy at all for being a big coil. I will give this detector a real workout in the months to come. If today is any indication of it's capabilities, I should have a great summer.

cairnterrier

Greenie
Mar 24, 2020
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my new 540 Pro Pack on Saturday. We had snow in northeast Ohio so today was the first day I could use it. On Sunday, I braved the cold and hit my test garden. The 540 hit all targets perfectly( the best showing of many detectors I have tested) The charger that is supplied with the package is not of the best quality. I had to use a screwdriver to remove the batteries. They are way too tight. Minelab does a terrible job explaining what the proper charger specs should be. I never did get the lights on the battery holder to show a complete charge. That is the worst of the entire package.

Having 2 (two) 540's in my house, you are absolutely correct on the battery charger. It is a piece of garbage. With that said, I have 2 other chargers in my house that I use to charge the batteries. That is my only complaint about this great detector! Enjoy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread