Best generic settings for the vanquish 440?

Muse

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I have a vanquish 440 and normally search pasture fields. I'm confused which mode to use, relic mode is apparently deep but slow, then there's jewellery and coin. Any tips on which one to use please? Also do you find you need the sensitivity turned half way down to prevent chatter?

Screenshot_20200629_214715.jpg

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Muse, it largely depends on how much trash is in those pasture fields. If there isn't too much, I'd suggest using Relic mode because it is indeed the deepest. But if there's a lot of junk, Coin mode might be better, especially if you are hoping to primarily find coins anyway. Jewelry mode is a good compromise: deeper than Coin but faster recovery than Relic. It will also accept more low-conductor relics than Coin does.

As for sensitivity, I usually run it on my 540 at around 7 out of 10 in areas with EMI. I could see having to set it lower if the EMI is really bad.

Hope this helps!

-Ken

troll

Jun 10, 2020
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not done any pasture hunting with the 540. What you will find may it be pastures or parks that the sensitivity settings are going to be different where ever you go. That means you may have to take it up or down from one place to the next. Just set it to what sounds good to you. And if you are in the middle of a pasture how fast of a recovery speed do you need? Only needed when there a a lot of targets in same area. If my thinking is wrong about that please relic hunters let me know also.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make a custom mode that best suits your needs in the mode you prefer. I hunt slow anywhere except beaches or fields so mine is based on relics mode for depth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions