Relic Hunting

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are practically the same as far as ergonomics using the 12x9. The V8 coil in the pro pack is half the weight and makes the Vanquish a joy to swing. I haven't used the 340 or 440 with the V10 coils. They are probably the best of both worlds.

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, Compadre, Vanquish 440, Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ergonomics are good on my 440, although I do notice the weight. My prior detectors could be used all day without any fatigue, which is probably the only reason it feels a little weighty to me.

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Nox 800 with stock 11" coil and the Vanquish 540 with the 12" coil. The Nox is beautiful, no issues whatsoever for me. However I did notice the Vanquish is a bit nose heavy and my arm got tired fairly quickly.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the Vanquish with the big coil is nose heavy. I don't feel it's too bad however, and I can swing for a couple of hours with it because of the overall light weight of the machine. I did see a fellow using a bungee cord attached to an o-ring on his backpack to the upper rod, but he is 72, and that is just too much hassle for me.:skullflag:

Tony-Ok

Jun 27, 2019
Oklahoma City Ok
Detector(s) used
XP ORX and Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use the V10 on my 540 , and it feels perfectly balanced for me . I only hunt yards , no parks , most of my good targets are in the 6-10” depth . I have never used it with the V12 and would probably be more apt to use the V8 . This 540 is really working out great .... basic but gets the goods !!!!! ������

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bid on a used 540 at 440 price if I win bid and don’t like the nose heavyness, I can at least order the V8 or V10 which are not expensive as coils go. No such option with Nox, the 6” coil is too small for all around use. The V12 with bungee harness is best in fields. If I lose bid on 540 I will get a 440. I do like the 5 tone of the 540 which is why I bid on the used one. Adding a v8 or v10 coil would still be quite a bit cheaper than pro pack is. Appreciate the feedback

Last edited:

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, Compadre, Vanquish 440, Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your gonna like it. The weight or "nose heavy" aspect of it is really not excessive. My 440 been a great upgrade for me. I was almost going to pop on a Simplex too, but you've given me pause. Is it really that bad?

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Simplex is very similar to the ergonomics of the Vanquish. They are both 2.9 pounds. Some people have bad shoulders/elbows/wrists and that weight on the end of the stick can feel like 50 pounds after a couple of hours. The design plays a big part in how they feel. The CTX 3030 is 5 pounds but doesn't feel like it because of the balance. The AT Pro is only 3.03 pounds but 1/3 of that is in the coil at about 1 pound so it feels like a concrete block on a stick until you get your arm muscles used to it.

troll

Jun 10, 2020
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the 540 Pro with both coils. To me there is a difference in the feel of the machine between the two. About 5 weeks ago I pulled a muscle in my back (not while detecting). Using the smaller coil has kept me swinging longer than when I tried the larger coil.

wltdwiz

Jul 6, 2008
Arizona
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Vanquish
Minelab SDC 2300
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
AQUA TRACKER
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
nokta /makro pulse dive
blue nemo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the 440 w v 10 coil swings like a dream

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes my opinion is V10 best all around coil to meet most situations well without switching out coils. I have 4 coils for my Orx / Deus lite and switching even in middle of detecting is simple. If the equinox had 10x7 or 8-9” coil I’d still have it. Don’t understand minelab not adding one by now. Given the widespread popularity of the Nox. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking this.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tried out my new Vanquish 440 and made the right choice. Sort of equinox lite-ish. If the Nox 600 had the V10 coil and was in the Vanquish body it would be amazing. Even better if the Nox battery was in the upper shaft end acting as counterweight.
I’m really big on ergonomics.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think the equinox is very comfortable to swing. I have went back to one again and am giving it another go.

I had the vanquish 540. It ran like a champ. It is a most excellent little detector. However, I found the ergonomics of it very bad.

I tried to find the same type of tubing the rod is made out if to make my own straight rod configuration.

It is a great machine.....but to me it feels weird and off to swing. But it is made very well.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After getting used to my Orx, everything feels heavy- with the exception of the f75 I had. Have a T2 classic on the way that I got a fine deal on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread