Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, looks like my vanquish actually is vanquished.
Hit the power button and it starts to cycle through the startup sequence then shuts right down. Checked batteries and connection [of course] nothing wrong with them.
Bought it on amazon from detector warehouse as a demo unit "in perfect condition" for a reduced price, return window closed on 10/29 so I may be SOL, going to try contacting them to see if anything can be done.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the power button and it starts to cycle through the startup sequence then shuts right down. Checked batteries and connection [of course] nothing wrong with them.
Bought it on amazon from detector warehouse as a demo unit "in perfect condition" for a reduced price, return window closed on 10/29 so I may be SOL, going to try contacting them to see if anything can be done.

Contact Minelab, it's under warranty...

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you try a factory reset. With the Vanquish off, press and hold the power button for at least 7 seconds and hopefully you will see FP and it will reset to factory defaults. Release the power button and let it start up normally.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reset did nothing, little squares move around, a few dings chime in, then shuts down.

Gonna try detector warehouse first, I think they knew this thing was a dud, a return they pawned off on amazon, not holding my breath for any + results there. If no joy then yeah, I'll be forced to try minelab itself.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you bought it through Amazon, then contact them. They should be able to resolve this for you. I've, personally, had very good luck with Amazon's return policy...

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"return window" closed on 10/29

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex, Park1 mode, SP24 coil, v2.77 software is seriously incredible. I've found that 2.77/SP24/Park1 is the ONLY way to go:) 2.77 didn't work as well with the stock coil for me. If I were running the stock coil, I'd update to 2.78

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I conversed with detector warehouse, they were friendly and suggested I contact minelab and said they would refund if I really wanted, but I decided to stick with it and send it in, I have the vanquish box but that still leaves me with the problem of finding a box for that, so I'm a it hung up on that, wish I could just send the control unit in, don't have much free time to hunt down boxes and wait in lines.

I agree the Simplex pretty much rocks, park mode 2 is a bit deeper seeking but seriously lacks recovery, gotta swing very slow [which is fine when you find a honey hole and want to comb every inch of it], but a handicap when you want to cover as much ground as possible quickly, like at a beach, so I use mode 1 there.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gave it another try at the beach today, really not the machine for me would much rather use the 400.

Not only is the recovery speed a near turtles pace but doesn't seem to have "proportional audio", a quarter right on the surface sounds as faint as a quarter 6" down, I hope I am missing something in the settings or something but this is a deal breaker for me. I am starting to think that this multi freq eq comes with tradeoffs, don't know what else to think. Even tested it on a can I came across, audio response was the same whether I swung the coil 1" over it or 8" ,,, And the faintness of the signal is just something I am not used to and don't want to get used to. I use faint signals as clues for a possible deep coin, if even a quarter on the surface sounds faint, well there goes that !
On the + side it does find small objects fairly deep, I found a little earring stud about 7" down.

As it stands, I would certainly not recommend this detector for a beginner, would be an exercise in frustration and they will miss a ton of stuff. For an experienced detector, only one who is very meticulous, always swings slow and doesn't mind digging every peep every time.

Your detector sounds defective. Try doing a factory reset or call minelab.

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, Compadre, Vanquish 440, Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was kinda suspecting a defective unit. When you said low audio on a quarter. Without headphones mine bangs so loud I'd swear I hear an echo through the trees.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Simplex, running v2.77, SP24 coil, Park 1 is fantastic.
v2.77 didn't impress me until I installed the SP24 coil, woah!
There is a 2.78 version out but I'm not changing anything!
Park1 with v2.77 seems to have been exclusively designed to drive the SP24. Other modes do not work as well as Park1 with my setup.
not bragging, just impressed and sharing my findings

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the detector back along with diagnosis note, parts had to be replaced.
I trust they did a good repair, probably won't test it out until the spring but I'll fire it up and do some quick tests to make sure it is working

Attachments

• IMG_6219.jpg
    IMG_6219.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the detector back along with diagnosis note, parts had to be replaced.
I trust they did a good repair, probably won't test it out until the spring but I'll fire it up and do some quick tests to make sure it is working

Well, finally got around to testing it.
Does the same exact thing, starts to power up then shuts rights down - And yes, batteries are fine, I have a voltage tester.
So now, spend another $30 to ship it back AGAIN and hope they actually repair it or better yet, replace it ?
Don't know, think I'll more likely cut my losses, throw this thing in the trash and never buy another minelab product again.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but the Vanquish battery compartment is roomy and with the cover on, one or more of the batteries could disengage from the contacts. I read about this shortly after buying my 540 and sure enough mine would power off at times too. I cut a square piece of soft foam (about 1/2" thick) and place it between the batteries and cover. It has solved the problem for me.

DD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can see that happening, wish it was something so simple.
Don't even have the batt cover on while testing, just to avoid that possibility. They are well charged and well seated, unit is defective after alleged repair.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but the Vanquish battery compartment is roomy and with the cover on, one or more of the batteries could disengage from the contacts. I read about this shortly after buying my 540 and sure enough mine would power off at times too. I cut a square piece of soft foam (about 1/2" thick) and place it between the batteries and cover. It has solved the problem for me.

DD

I did the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread