Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for something to upgrade my Ace 400 as a detector that rides with me in my truck the whole season. I love the 400 but its lack of a backlight and volume control alone makes me want to upgrade.
Tried a Simplex for that purpose already and I like it, can say its equal or superior to the 400 and in the same price range, so I thought I'd give the vanquish a whirl.

Nice detector, easy to figure out and I love the collapsible stems that these newer detectors have. One thing that concerns me [as well with the simplex] is recovery speed. I don't often swing like a madman but already I have noticed that these detectors don't recover well at all compared to the 400. 400 I can swing nearly as fast as I can and get a good beep on targets with every pass, vanquish and the simplex not so much so, signal chops out unless you swing very slowly, which is a big drawback when trying to cover as much sand as possible at a beach, for instance.
Also have noticed that it doesn't seem to react to a surface coin vs a deep coin the way I am used to, 400 you can easily tell when you got a screamer, but with this the signal seems faint whether its on the surface or 4 inches down, another big drawback unless I am missing something here.

All minelabs seem to have hobbled VDI's, although I am primarily a sound man I like glancing at numbers now and then, and the range is very constricted compared to the 400 ,,, Obviously that will take some getting used to, a quarter that I have always known as 89/90 now 29/30 or whatever it is, but I don't see why in the world they can't open their range up for more visual definition.

I like them both and see alot of potential and of course it takes a while to grow into a new detector regardless of previous experience, but if Garrett made a 450 with just a backlight and volume control added, I'd buy that in a heartbeat [and yes I know about the Apex, not sure if it has a place in my toolkit just yet, will wait until spring to decide]

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there buddy! I'm swinging the 540 and I LOVE it! You just have to let what you already know (the Ace 400) go, and learn your new machine. It's capable of things in the wet beach sand the Ace 400 can't touch - period. New machine, new language. You'll be able to swing it faster wiith a few more hours on the headphones!:icon_thumright::skullflag:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to tell what you mean when you’re comparing a A400 and a V400

I said "Ace 400" in the first sentence, I assume most people know what machine that is, and I figured that I didn't have to say "Ace" every time I referenced it. - And I never even said V400.
I have a V [V is for Vanquish, another word unnecessary to type every time]540. Another thing I like about it vs the simplex is it doesn't go bonkers when I turn my pinpointer on. I found a little metal ball that may be a piece of jewelry at over 7" so I know its capable of finding the goods. Not impressed with its recovery speed and don't like the hobbled VDI, about my only complaints so far.
VDI I can get by but recovery will be a serious handicap, and not sure how more swinging is going to change the recovery for the better [rarely use headphones] Seems to me that it is a machine that is geared to slower sweeps, if that is the case I'll have to adjust or go back to the 400.
I don't mind going slow sometimes, I'll crawl to a snails pace in grids when I am in a producing area, but for beaches and tot lots, I like to hustle.

Tonight it was powering off right after I turned it on, so I used the simplex instead hunting a tot lot. Thought the batteries were fried but no, machine worked with the battery cover off but cut out with it on, don't know whats going on there hopefully a simple fix.

Last edited:

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, Compadre, Vanquish 440, Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recovery speed should be excellent with both machines. Maybe you just need more time with them. I say that with due respect. I'm learning them both and I've realized that at first I was trying to hear what I wanted to hear with the Vanquish. Once I started listening to what it was telling me, I realized how fast it was. Target separation is fantastic too.

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the recovery speed. I got the 540 as a backup to my Nox 800 and I have to swing MUCH slower.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the recovery speed. I got the 540 as a backup to my Nox 800 and I have to swing MUCH slower.

Maybe that’s my problem with the vanquish. I am used to swinging with my simplex and I can swing pretty quick with it. I get frustrated with it because my simplex has awesome recovery and separation.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vanquish coin mode has the fastest recovery speed followed by jewellery and then relic. Relic mode has a recovery speed equal to 3 on the 800, 4 in jewellery and 5-6 in coin. I've used both the Simplex and Vanquish and they seemed pretty equal with recovery speed/separation if compared in the right modes. Most Minelab machines have longer audio tones that might make it sound slower.

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in case anyone is not aware...custom mode saves the speed of the mode you started in when you setup for custom. So if you created it in relic or jewelry, it will be slow.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well at a beach I used coin and [preferably] jewelry, both seemed equally slow to me compared to what I am used to with the 400.
[I have a Nox too but am not in a position to critique it]
The simplex, I have found that the new mode they added [forgot the name, field 1 maybe ?] is deeper seeking but very slow. I found a great spot loaded with civil war buttons and bullets and I slowed to a snails crawl, didn't mind a bit and did great ,, But thats after I figured out it lacked recovery speed and you have to swing slow or you would literally miss pretty easy targets. I think I commented on that at the time http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/634170-oldest-coin-date-1835-a.html

I would advise to anyone to swing as slow as possible with any detector, just makes sense and decreases the odds of missing something, something small and deep in particular ,,, But there are times when you want and need to pick up the pace, and the Vanquish so far is disappointing me in that regards, but seems like a fine machine in general elsewise.
Not a matter of learning or hearing what I wan to hear, I can lay a penny on the ground and swing and tell its not recovering well with anything but slow swings.

edit: Reading through my 1835 coin thread, its park 1 [with the simplex] that is deep seeking but very slow recovery

Last edited:

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough. With the Vanquish, I've been using mainly coin mode in parks. Our soil is not to bad here in Missouri so I get plenty of depth and speed in that mode. I've got just about 60 hours on mine and am just beginning to really appreciate it's abilities.

However, I do think that once you get used to the VDI, you'll find it very dependable. The machine is very versatile and I think you'll grow to like it.

I'm still struggling to "connect" with the Simplex, but I expect I'll grow to like it once I get more time with it.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there buddy! I'm swinging the 540 and I LOVE it! You just have to let what you already know (the Ace 400) go, and learn your new machine. It's capable of things in the wet beach sand the Ace 400 can't touch - period. New machine, new language. You'll be able to swing it faster wiith a few more hours on the headphones!:icon_thumright::skullflag:

I upgraded my vanquish to the 540 after watching your videos. The 440 is cool but the 540 is just right.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any metal detector is just a tool with a specific purpose - And the more you use any tool, the more proficient you become with it and the better you are able to use it.

I think the V has a lot of potential and I also think I'll have to adapt to it because its not going to adapt to me.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gave it another try at the beach today, really not the machine for me would much rather use the 400.

Not only is the recovery speed a near turtles pace but doesn't seem to have "proportional audio", a quarter right on the surface sounds as faint as a quarter 6" down, I hope I am missing something in the settings or something but this is a deal breaker for me. I am starting to think that this multi freq eq comes with tradeoffs, don't know what else to think. Even tested it on a can I came across, audio response was the same whether I swung the coil 1" over it or 8" ,,, And the faintness of the signal is just something I am not used to and don't want to get used to. I use faint signals as clues for a possible deep coin, if even a quarter on the surface sounds faint, well there goes that !
On the + side it does find small objects fairly deep, I found a little earring stud about 7" down.

As it stands, I would certainly not recommend this detector for a beginner, would be an exercise in frustration and they will miss a ton of stuff. For an experienced detector, only one who is very meticulous, always swings slow and doesn't mind digging every peep every time.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Gave it another try at the beach today, really not the machine for me would much rather use the 400.

Not only is the recovery speed a near turtles pace but doesn't seem to have "proportional audio", a quarter right on the surface sounds as faint as a quarter 6" down, I hope I am missing something in the settings or something but this is a deal breaker for me. I am starting to think that this multi freq eq comes with tradeoffs, don't know what else to think. Even tested it on a can I came across, audio response was the same whether I swung the coil 1" over it or 8" ,,, And the faintness of the signal is just something I am not used to and don't want to get used to. I use faint signals as clues for a possible deep coin, if even a quarter on the surface sounds faint, well there goes that !
On the + side it does find small objects fairly deep, I found a little earring stud about 7" down.

As it stands, I would certainly not recommend this detector for a beginner, would be an exercise in frustration and they will miss a ton of stuff. For an experienced detector, only one who is very meticulous, always swings slow and doesn't mind digging every peep every time.

Hey, you gave it a shot...not everyone clicks with every detector every time but you never know until you try.
Better to know than to wonder about stuff forever more.

I know me and I know what I like in a detector, specifically the ergonomics, coil options, tones and behavior, and I try to do research and pick new ones accordingly and logically but until I use them I really never know.
For the most part I have been lucky and picked ones that suit me but not everything is all peaches and cream all the time.

I have much experience using 3 Tesoros and 3 Fishers plus one Minelab, the Nox.
The ergonomics of the Tesoros and especially my F70 set the bar for how I like to hold and swing my detector, the tones that come out of them are comfortable and familiar to me and I have learned to understand them well plus add in the target behavior they all have adds up to a thoroughly enjoyable experience on all of my hunts.
Also the blazing speed on most of them counts as I am a naturally fast swinger.
I got the Nox and it is great in my challenging dirt and finds treasure but the ergonomics aren't perfect for me and the compressed target range tends to dive me crazy but it works and does what I need it to do and what I bought it for so I adapt and deal.
I recently bought an F5, hits most of the marks I want and expect but the speed for some reason is not exactly the same as in my other Fishers.
The knobs tend to move too much for my liking so I constantly have to check on them and the thing is not exactly slow as a turtle in the speed but I do have to remind myself to slow down on hunts because when I do I tend to notice and find more.
Not a deal killer but it is noticeable to me and just something extra I wasn't expecting when I bought it but again, it works in my dirt better than well and the issues are not frustratingly bad for me so again I don't mind adapting and just deal with it.

All these little issues matter but not enough to make me unhappy and give them up but if I do happen to buy a new tool that did frustrate me too much rest assured I would not keep them for long.

Hunting for me is a Zen experience, supposed to be fun and enjoyable and get me out of my head for awhile enough to forget all my life's and daily drama and just have fun and enjoy myself...get lost in the experience.
As I said I do have the ability to adapt if it is to my advantage to do that but there is a line, if I cross it and find myself thinking and worrying about the little things way too much or get frustrated and not enjoy myself, no matter what treasure the the thing can find me, it's just not worth it to me.

If you gave gave it your all and really tried to get along with your new one but find you just couldn't or didn't want to nobody would blame you if you gave it up...no harm, no foul.
Sometimes it takes a bit of time to click with new tools, sometimes all the time in the world won't matter.
What one person likes and enjoys can be totally different from another, sometimes 180 degrees different being that all people can be, and usually are, different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good points digger, not giving up just yet. I like the fact that is uses AA batteries so it wouldn't hurt to sit out the winter and give it another go next spring.

albertv

Jun 7, 2010
I have both the simplex and the vanquish 540 . Love both . I think the vanquish has more stable id numbers . I mostly use the jewelry mode the vanquish . I'm still working on the simplex so can't comment on it yet but it's built like a tank just like the anfibio. One thing for sure as everyone has stated , for what they are selling for, you're getting alot of bang for your buck especially if you can meld with them

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without a doubt they both offer great value for the $$, love the collapsible stems on both and the backlight.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the simplex and the vanquish 540 . Love both . I think the vanquish has more stable id numbers . I mostly use the jewelry mode the vanquish . I'm still working on the simplex so can't comment on it yet but it's built like a tank just like the anfibio. One thing for sure as everyone has stated , for what they are selling for, you're getting alot of bang for your buck especially if you can meld with them

I have both as well. Fantastic machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread