Sep 26, 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab SD2200V2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to hear which coil you preferm and why.

I kve both the V8 and V12 with my Vanquish 540 Pro Pack and I think I will use the V8 mostly at the beach detecting.
I know the V12 will go deeper but probably won't use it much as I say today. :laughing7:
I haven't receive my Vanquish yet and have to wait until Friday 1/8/21. :hello2:

I also see the V10 is a good all around coil and probably will try and pickup one in the future but I will wait and see what you all say.

Thanks All.

Attachments

• minelab-vanquish-search-coils.jpg.197f9139b09fc1766043b6df8fe20b3e.jpg
    minelab-vanquish-search-coils.jpg.197f9139b09fc1766043b6df8fe20b3e.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 133

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also have the pro pack. The V8 makes it a joy to swing because of the weight. Feels like you could swing it all day, but I worry about losing depth. The V12 is a tad nose heavy but on par with the Nox and the 11 inch coil. I tend to leave the V8 on and grab it for really trashy spots where the Nox might struggle to separate. I would use the V12 if I were hunting a cleaner field or yard to make sure I could hear those deep silvers.

OP
OP
Iggy_AZ

Iggy_AZ

Sep 26, 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab SD2200V2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As most that have a Vanquish 540 everyone is questioning which coil to use and/or which is better.
Fields, Beach, Trashy areas all must be taken into account on coil selection.

At the moment the V8 coil does a great job for all around when compared tothe V12.
I know you can cover more ground with the V12 but for now it looks as if the V8 coil will suit my needs.
I was looking around for more information on how the V10 coil does but it seems they are SOLD OUT or limited supply.
Haven't seen any test between the V8 and V10 so I guess I will wait and see what happens in 2021.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been waiting for V8 vs V10 also. All the reviews I've seen of the 340 and 440 seem to suggest it is fairly deep. It is probably and inch deeper than the 8 and an inch shallower than the 12. The 8 is 1.5-2 inches shallower than the 12. The V10 might just be the best all around.

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a minelab vanquish 540 pro pack. I haven't used the 8" coil yet but intend to on my next outing. What is your opinion about the 10" coil. Is it worth buying as well.

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much depth are you getting out of the 8" coil. Are you getting better readings. Have you tried the 10" coil

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v had my 540 pro pack for 8 mos. I started out strictly using the 8" coil because I had very little MD experience. I was loaned an older, Whites machine my nephew had and using a knock-off carrot pointer and dug far too many large "excavations". When buying the 540, I figured if the target was anywhere within the footprint of that V8" coil, that would cut my digging in half!

Well my first trip out with the 540 and V8 coil I dug an IHP at 8" deep in hard packed soil. I quickly got the hang of the 540's built-in pin-pointer and that cut way down on the size of my plugs. I was consistently locating stuff at depths from 8" - 10". You will definitely pick up lots of deep targets and yes this will include iron, especially old nails and bolts.

I hunt with two partners both of whom use Nox 800's. They were impressed with the 540's depth but insisted I would do much better with the V12 coil in open ground. So I took the V8 off and started with the V12. I struggled with the V12 the first time out and seemed to be returning to digging large holes, apparently I had not yet mastered the pin-pointing with the V12 coil. About mid-day I took it off and put the V8 coil back on because we were on a prime old homestead and time was flying. I quickly dug a G.A.R. 1892 encampment medal at 12" deep. The medal was made of aluminum and the signal was banging at 12" deep. I almost discarded the medal at first because it was unidentifiable. It looked so much like a token or coin I thought I better hold on to it and only after cleaning it some did I realize what I had.

Eventually, I learned to use the 12" coil and can pin-point very accurately with it too. I have dug targets as deep as 14" with the V12 coil including an 1864 - 2 Cent piece found 13" down, again in hard packed clay type soil.

I like the V8 coil for swinging in the woods now mostly. I may try it on the beach this year as well. The V12 was tough on the beach because the target seems to keep moving around and is tough to find. I was lucky to find a 10K gold ring on the beach with the V12 so I'm not complaining. I regularly switch both coils out depending on where I'm hunting. The best way to figure things out is to be out there doing it as much as possible.

I guess where I'm going here is; each coil has a place in the arsenal which brings me to the V10. I think the V10 might be the ultimate all-around coil which could eliminate the need to change coils so frequently. I will be buying the 10" very soon and will report after trying it out.

By the way, I have held my own with the 540 up against my two partner's 800's sometimes even doing better at the tailgate wrap-up. The Nox 800 will likely be my next detector but I'm not in any hurry and I don't think I could have picked a better first machine.

Last edited:

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up. I recently purchased a Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack, upgraded from my Fisher F22. I really like it but due to the weather I haven't had a chance to try the 8" coil and I'm excited to do so. It's funny how I'm thinking about buying a 10" coil just from reading about the 8, 10 and 12" coils. I just started in this hobby about 2 months ago and I just found my first 1905 silver dime about 2 weeks ago, now I cant stop thinking about how I can make my 540 even better, that's why I will soon be purchasing the 10" coil then wait for early spring.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sold my Vanquish 440 but the V10 coil was why I originally bought it as a possible alternative to the Nox 600. This was the coil I hoped would be offered for the equinox.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I only have the V10. I doubted it's size and performance and was stunned at how well it performed.

I'd like to grab a 12 inch for some additional coverage.

Jer

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 540 Pro Pack and use the V8 almost always. The V10 kinda intrigues me, though, but they do seem to be on back-order. But for not that much more than the coil itself costs, I could get a 340. That would give me a V10 plus a decent backup/loaner machine. Hmmm...

-Ken

Tony-Ok

Jun 27, 2019
Oklahoma City Ok
Detector(s) used
XP ORX and Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea, I use the V10 on my 540 all the time ..... it’s the perfect size for a yard hunter !!

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news! Ordered my Minelab V10 search coil from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. Shipped for free, half way across the country and it arrived in two days over this past weekend. Great packaging. Thanks to Bart for including the coil cover, bolt and washers (saw some vendors who were selling this separate). Will shop with Big Boys again.

Better news! Picked up my forth and fifth silvers of the year this weekend in just four outings. Dug an 1877 seated dime using the 8" coil Saturday and an 1854 seated quarter using the 12" coil on Sunday. Cant wait to put the 10" on next weekend.

DD

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm loving my V10 coil. Knocked off two bucket listers yesterday finding a V nickel and a Shield Nickle within a foot of each other with 11-12 vdi. The nickels are toast but was able to get a date (1899) off the V. This coil either loves nickels or it was just dumb luck. Also picked up two IHP's at 18-19 vdi.

The V10 will go plenty deep, no worries. I was fooled a few times with mid 30's on vdi and dug some really deep iron 12"+. Checking for iron before digging, the machine still grunts but also produces that consistent high tone so I figure I better dig these. I hunt in the woods a lot and the V10 has been a lot easier to swing around the brush and trees. I'm happy with my purchase and am glad to have all 3 coil options now. If anybody is on the fence, i would say get the V10 - you wont be sorry.

DD

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The v8 is the most useful coil for 90% of sites for me,,if you buy a 540 non pro pack and want a 10" coil the coil is $129.00,the 340 with v10 is $199.00 and the 340 is a very good machine

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread