Kellycodetectors Customer service is a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought it was important that I post the poor customer service that I have had with Kellycodetectors. On 10/21/2016 I purchased a Garrett AT Pro detector and a Garrett AT Pro pin pointer, spent over $700.00. I had not been detecting in over 30 years and then I used a top of the line Whites.
I received the detector on the 25th of October and after using a few times I was having an issue with the pinpointing feature on the metal detector. I would get a tone showing a target but when I would move the coil away and hold the pinpoint button and come back over the target the pinpoint would not make a noise at all. When it did it would be off center causing bigger holes to be dug. I got on Kellyco's website and used the Live Chat to let them know about this problem. After a brief time the operator basically said he couldn't do anything and I should call Garrett.
On 11/25 (Friday after turkey day) I took a road trip to detect at an old civil war site. I started having all kind of problems with the pinpointing. After I got home on the 27th I cleaned my detector by spraying off the shaft and coil and only using a damp rag to wipe the control box. I then put in a new set of batteries after I had let it dry completely. When I turned it back on it went crazy. The unit was beeping erratically and the indicators were all flashing and the numbers were jumping all over the place. I removed the battery and let is set over night and got the same problem.
I then created two videos on youtube showing the two problems, the pinpointing issue and the crazy start up issues. I called Kellyco first thing Monday morning the 28th of November and talked with Steve Meeks. After talking with him I said I would like to return my detector for replacement or a credit to buy a different unit. He said I was past their 30 day refund/return policy. I told him I didn't take delivery on the purchase date and the delivery date happened to be the 25th which was during a holiday period and I called them immediately on the first business day the 28th. He basically said SORRY and I needed to call Garrett. He did ask me to send him the two videos that I made so he could see what was going on and if Garrett would not help be might talk to his manager. I asked him to let me know what he thought of the videos. He never responded back.
I contacted Garrett and talked with Adam Lewis, he asked me to send him the links to the two videos. He responded back saying that I was not using the AT PRO correctly. He also said if I start the detector inside that it will act up, funny when I first got the detector I started inside and never had a problem. I called him and disputed this with him and only after a lengthy discussion did he agree to send me a return shipping label and an RMA. He said to send him the head unit and my two coils. I sent it UPS the next day and they got it on 12/1 and the next day I was notified via FEDEX that my detector was on its way back. I tried for two days via email to ask Adam what they found out but they he is not answering my emails.
I don't know if they found anything wrong and are just sending it back. I am also not sure I even want this AT PRO anymore. I don't really want a piece of equipment from a company that has such poor customer service. I am afraid that if I have anymore problems I am going to have to argue with them, if I can get them to respond.
I just wanted to take time to let others know how Garrett has treated me along with Kellycodetectors lack of concern if I'm not happy. Guess they really don't care about you once they get their money. These two companies have quite a few positive reviews online but maybe they are paying people to write these.
Here are links to the two youtube videos I created.

https://youtu.be/VG6E2M3Z2hQ
https://youtu.be/I4aYC6D7h6g

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, first of all, you do have a valid argument with the derive and communication w/ Kellyco, regarding the shipping and receiving date.....
But....
Every detector ever made will act that way when you turn it on inside a house.....
As for pinpointing, my ATP will also act a little wonky, but it's more of a touch/technique thing. When I'm over a target, and when I first hit the PP button, I'll know right away if I'm not getting a good reading, just like on your video. I will try it another time or two, and the coil will balance out and figure where exactly the target is....the fact that yours is an inch to left of center is also a valid concern....but then again, an inch variance in PPing isn't the end of the world.
The cord from the coil is also something to look at. Do you have it wrapped to close to the bottom of the shaft, or do you have it wound backwards from recommended setup?
My advice? Watch more videos of the machine in action, and practice yourself with other test gardens and dedicated time hunting, to learn what the machine is telling you.
Also, try doing a factory reset.....that may also help.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your problems with Kellyco and Garrett. I have had nothing, but great service from both companies to include First Texas (Fisher). I never had the AT Pro, but my F4 would go haywire at times after I cleaned it. I would just remove the batteries and leave the cover off and let the detector sit in the sun for a day.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoops, don't know why that double posted....maybe I need to call kellyco:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said you brought it on Oct 21st, received it Oct 25th and tried to return it 0n Nov 28, no matter the 21th or 25th date, your still outside Kellyco's 30 day return policy on either day, even using the 25th date your still outside the 30 day return guarantee....Your issue is with Garrett, not Kellyco after 30 days,....

You also didn't say in the online chat you told Kellyco you wanted to return it, the issue you described is not a defect, it is a common functioning pinpoint result, they told you to contact Garrett so Garrett could help you understand the pinpoint.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here goes, first off regarding the cable routing on the shaft. The cable starts out wrapping over the top then upward. I have also tried making the first loop over the top not start until about a foot up the shaft. I have read where people say this helps increase the sensitivity. What Garrett could not explain was why (per video) the quarter would not be seen with pinpoint when on top the ground but it would find it (however off center) when the coin was buried. They also said the double beep when passing over the coin was normal. I disagreed with them because when I first started using it I would not get a double beep unless there were two targets. I referred them to their support videos, the one showing how to pinpoint that they created it shows an at pro going over a quarter and it only got one beep, not two.
Far as the 30 day deadline. I admit I was past the 30 days of purchase but I would think the 30 days should be from date of delivery and in this case I was past by 3 days but I thought they were closed for the holidays and I called the first day of the work week. Their warranty says that for 30 days they will return or replace or refund your purchase price for any reason. I told Steve Meeks that I was not happy and wanted to return this detector because of the pinpoint issues. When I first got this the pinpoint issue was there but not as bad and the double beep was not there. After a few weeks things started to get worse. Quite a few times I would get a good solid signal lets say a 76 and doing the quick wiggle method I could find the center but if I used the pinpoint method it would show center as much as a foot away. I would dig where I did the wiggle method and find the target but when I would did where the pinpoint method would show there would be nothing there.
Just for the record, I am totally shocked with my experience with customer service after I have read such glowing reviews posted by others. I hope my situation is a once in a lifetime problem and I hope they prove to me how good of a company that others have claimed they are. I am supposed to get my detector back on Wed. the 3rd. I am really hoping there will be a letter saying that they did find a problem and have either repaired or replaced the defective unit. At that time I will recreate the test that I did in the video. Needless to say I will be very upset if they said no problem was found, especially after I made the video explaining my problem.
I want to take the time to thank those who have made comments on this post...I really appreciate ALL the input!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Scuba, I hope it works out for you, and your satisfaction is the end result.
Nobody here on Tnet likes an unhappy detectorist, no matter the situation.

OP
OP
S

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the kind of person who will post both positive and negative reviews. So needless to say if Garrett makes good on my At Pro I will make sure and post an update! Far as Kellyco I don't know what they could do to change my opinion. When I made my original purchase from them it included an orange at pro pinpointer which made the total spent was $700.00 which I paid for not charging the purchase. They included a $5.00 off appreciation coupon to be used on my next purchase. I was going to order a T Rex sand scoop and handle. I put in my shopping cart and added the coupon code only to get a message the coupon was not valid. I called them and they said they could not issue a $5.00 credit to be used online they could only give me the discount if I purchased over the phone. I do not like that option because I do not want them to have my credit card number. I told them that I only used paypal to keep my number private. They wouldn't budge! So needless to say I am not too impressed with Kellyco.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressed or not, all companies have policies, if you don''t want to pay with your regular credit card you can use a prepaid credit card. Keep in mind many credit cards will add to your factory warranty, by refusing to use credit card your surrendering the warranty extension...

November 9, 2016 A New Future

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a coil cover on it, if so, take it off and clean cover and coil just to make sure no metallic items are in there. Worth a try,

OP
OP
S

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a coil cover on it, if so, take it off and clean cover and coil just to make sure no metallic items are in there. Worth a try,

That's the first thing Garrett asked me and I do that after every hunt. Great idea though...thanks for the help I appreciate it!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the kind of person who will post both positive and negative reviews. So needless to say if Garrett makes good on my At Pro I will make sure and post an update! Far as Kellyco I don't know what they could do to change my opinion. When I made my original purchase from them it included an orange at pro pinpointer which made the total spent was $700.00 which I paid for not charging the purchase. They included a $5.00 off appreciation coupon to be used on my next purchase. I was going to order a T Rex sand scoop and handle. I put in my shopping cart and added the coupon code only to get a message the coupon was not valid. I called them and they said they could not issue a $5.00 credit to be used online they could only give me the discount if I purchased over the phone. I do not like that option because I do not want them to have my credit card number. I told them that I only used paypal to keep my number private. They wouldn't budge! So needless to say I am not too impressed with Kellyco.

Funny I bought a brand new AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT shipped for $599. That is why I always give my business to the small dealer's. You get better prices, better service and better answers when you call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread