any Vermonters reading the VT forum?

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
:hello: Occasionally I'll check in here to see if anything new is happening. This time of year is boring, the fish are not biting at the shanty, It's snowing like crazy and I'm looking forward to the day I can go out on the river. So I was wondering if there was anybody out there waiting for warmer weather also. I'm also thinking about where I am going to go (should mention I do panning mostly). I continue to go to the same places time after time finding very little gold. This year I hope it will be different. So is there anybody out there and what are ya thinking. Maybe we could trade some Ideas on where to go for a change, and possibly find a little color.
Wayne

OP
OP
stilllookin

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
I'm Still-Looking cause I'm sure there is somebody else out there who wishes spring will come soon. I started the post on the 25Th of Feb and only 10 hits so far and at least 2 are mine. So maybe there are some neighbors to Vermont or visitors to Vermont who would like to respond. I hate to give up on Vermonters so soon but things don't look to encouraging. Sometimes visitors to our state know more about our resources than we do, and I personally would love to hear from you.
Wayne is still-lookin

Here's what it looks like here today . What does your yard look like?

Attachments

• Mar 4 2011 #2.jpg
    Mar 4 2011 #2.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 428
OP
OP
stilllookin

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
??? It's been a month since my last visit to this post. :dontknow: I'm sure there are a couple people within 3 hours of central VT
interested in gold prospecting. Show me there is someone out there. I built a gold trap sluice since my last visit and took it out Mon. Ice forming in the river but I had a good morning. Need to tweek the sluice a little but I think it will work fine. I will post a picture if anyone would like to see it. Will check in a few.

Stilllookin

OP
OP
stilllookin

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
:hello2:
4ster,
Welcome aboard. I was about to give up on Vermonters. Are you new to prospecting or just new to the forum. This forum is very educational with many knowledgeable people. Most do a lot of looking without posting, but it's really nice to hear from people with the same interests. Again welcome and hope to hear from you more.
Wayne

OP
OP
stilllookin

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
Melnibe
I'm itching to get to the water to do some prospecting. The rivers are flooding right now and there's still a lot of snow in the woods. It will be a while before the water is low enough. We have some land in Cavendish with a couple cellar holes on it and I've been thinking about doing some serious detecting there but haven't taken the time. A friend did find a Mercury dime there several years ago on the old road next to one of the cellar holes. My only problem is thinking about all the junk that you have to pick through. This summer maybe.
Are you new to detecting? There are a few organizations around for mineral hunting and prospecting but limited activity , at least the web sites show little maintenance. Good luck, maybe we can meet sometime this summer.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wilmington, VT here - I have a few good places in the area, but always looking for new and exciting cellar holes, old home sites, etc. nearby. Would be happy to share a few sweet spots as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stilllookin

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
I haven't been back for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see some activity here. Understandably more People in and around VT are more interested in detecting than prospecting and I may have to change my preferences. I keep telling myself to get the detector out and check some of the old CCC parks and picnic areas where the only remains are the many fireplaces that were built back in the 1830s. My Wifes parents (now deceased) used to frequent these picnic areas as many others did as late as the 1950s. I have never heard of anyone detecting these areas but it appeals to me. The best time to do these areas is either in the Spring or Fall when the leaves are off the trees and the ferns and lower plant life dies off. Right now I'll keep visiting the streams looking for the elusive gold nugget ( in VT?) :laughing9: When fall rolls around Arti, Email me if you think you might be interested and I may be able to steer you in the right direction if nothing more. Good to see some activity.
Wayne

vtgoldprospector

Jun 27, 2012
Eastern Long Island
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been going to VT for nearly the last 30 years as we progressively built our cabin. My brother actually moved to Richford, about as far north as you can go. As for finding color so far the best advice I can give from what I have experienced is forget the sand banks. Crevicing and behind large rocks are by far the best places (and least work). Go as deep as you can, then go a little deeper! It almost seems that most of the gold found has been in the same place for MANY years and has ended up deep under the dirt. If you happen to find some in a gravel or sand bar it was most likely redeposited from a recently eroded area up stream. My final word of advice is to be very careful panning. A great deal of the VT gold is SUPER fine and most people never see it even when it is right in front of there eyes.

Corey

vtgoldprospector

Jun 27, 2012
Eastern Long Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something to think about to bring hope for better finds. This was found in a sample of dirt approximately .2 cu ft or 1.3 gallons in volume in lovely VT. For reference it is in a 1 dram vile.

IMG_0930.jpg

OP
OP
stilllookin

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
Corey;
I certainly agree with the " most people never see it even when it's in front of their eyes" I haven't done a lot of panning this year but I did go where I've found gold in the past and I swear I should have found at least a speck. I bought a couple pounds of paydirt about a mo. ago, and I discovered some of my panning is not that good. I was getting over confident, and began thinking you could be pretty bad at panning and find gold. Panning small amounts of the paydirt at a time I see small flat flakes creeping out of the pan, and discovered more gold in the second panning than I thought possible. So as small as most gold is in VT, it's easy to see why we come home empty handed most days. I built a miller table and will keep my blacksands and leftover panning heavies for this winter. What you found in Lovely looks darned Lovely. looking good.
Wayne

Last edited:

vtgoldprospector

Jun 27, 2012
Eastern Long Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How I get gold...

stilllookin,

Generally I don't pan on location in VT, time waster. I typically have 2 days on a trip and I am specifically there to get an accurate sample of 2 different areas. Most of the time I classify 1-3 buckets from an area and haul it out. At HQ I run it through a fluid bed or the sluice outfitted with specialized mat. If I use the same dirt on both I get only maybe 5% on the second run so I am quite sure I am catching almost all of it one pass. I say.. "Why pan dirt when you can pan concentrates?".. After I do a few samples like that in an area I might consider eventually taking the sluice to the location. To clarify, I DON'T illegally run it IN the river. :-) Personally I think I rush panning to much and try and see in my pan with the dense shade from the trees above. Direct natural sun or halogen light, which is generally not in any of my rivers seem the best to see VT fine gold,... But even beyond missing it in the pan I'm talking about the hole the dirt came out of. In vt gold is everywhere. I even have found specs in a muddy trickling stream nowhere near the gold areas. I speculated gold was there only because I knew for fact that no one had EVER prospected the spot. Getting to the point people pick poor locations even when they are in the right areas. At recent river I visited I managed to get a 3 bucket sample with amazing results, yet the other people that were there previously (I saw the holes with the panned dirt pile next to them) took their dirt from poorly chosen places. "Place" not meaning geographically but specifically where in the overburden and how deep. For them I am sure they came up empty since the holes were to shallow (only 12" top diameter) for that spot. They were at the right river, the right location, the hole may even have been in a good spot but still didn't get the "bottom of the hole" to where it needs to be. So between poor panning skills and poor "place" selection, I think this accounts for most of the disappointment of prospectors. When I look back at myself learning to prospect I can see myself doing the same 2 mistakes before I learned to look harder. After I began understanding it better and using better tools, I always got SOMETHING, even on very small samples (see vile photo above).

Maybe I can talk you into staying on our side, everyone knows a prospector is cooler then a metal detector-er. lol I would love to share what I have learned if it helps. Let me know.

I'm jealous you have a table! I would love to see it in action if you can put together a video..

Random photo:
IMG_0730.jpg
http://www.goldmapmaker.com

Last edited:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up in South Burlington. own my own shop in design and manufacturing, and trove hunt on the side.

I have found numerous troves, and am waiting to find other like minded partners to go along and provide support in removal, and collaborate on techniques for digs

one in Vermont, is in the Intervale, and may be associated with the old owner, Ethan Allen, or another legend about a man who left a hidden safe buried in the area filled with gold coins, who owned property near the Intervale

I am looking for people with scanners and other equipment to accompany me on my finds.

Let me know if interested.

James Simpson
Eldorado Enterprises Inc.
(802) 923 - 6838

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helllllllloooooooooooo in here...........

Wow what an echo....this place is empty

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Masonic Door in Vermont......where it lies exactly is a mystery to many. Don't know where, ask a Mason

View attachment 1114211

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1114212

Carving found in the Yarmouth, NS area corresponding to the map of Champlain's coastline.

Maps lead to Masonic Door as depicted in the Tenier painting Temptation of St. Anthony

View attachment 1114225

You can see the outline of VT and even the snake takes the shape of the Winooski river at the mouth where it meets the bay

View attachment 1114227

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a good joke for the Forum

85% of Americans cant find VT on the map

and 75% of those 85% are vermonters