Hazen Military Road - Civil War Era

littlebird13

Feb 21, 2006
UPSTATE N.Y.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
I live in New York but would be interested in making the trip wher exactly is it located?? Let me know when you are planning on going.

littlebird13

OP
OP
Midnightrider08

Midnightrider08

Mar 9, 2008
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
The section I am most interested in doing as it is the closest and it actually is where they ended work on it is between Westfield (Near Jay Peak) as I understand it and Lowell . I drove up the other day but the road is not open all the way in winter (Much snow up there still) so didn't find the mounument marker. Also there is part of a state forest and I have suspicion the camp or a camp may be on it . I find alot of interesting things in vermont happened on either state park or state forest land (800 acres I believe) and so far I am unfamiliar with the laws in Vt on such property but the majority of the road is not on state land.

Some info on the Road :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayley_Hazen_Military_Road

littlebird13

Feb 21, 2006
UPSTATE N.Y.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
midnight let me know when the snow goes and you plan on going over If you don't mind my 9 year old son and I would be interested in tagging along maybe

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
I for one would love to go.I live in bradford and go fishing up by crystal lake alot in the summer.The road goes thru that area and I think I know of a spot close by.Alan

OP
OP
Midnightrider08

Midnightrider08

Mar 9, 2008
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Took the rd into lowell today. Found the end of the rd marker in the woods thru the notch and a old old fire pit. Unfortunately did not have camera or detector with me. Did see many spots where I feel encampments could have been made. Parts of the rd are real narrow like only wide enough for one car and inbetween ledges and rocks. I don't beleive that section of the rd has changed much over the years besides being maintained. There's got to be relics of some sort near by where they stopped work on the rd way back when .. there's got to be ?

It definately was at it's time a rd in the middle of nowhere going thru nowhere ... still very undeveloped area as far as Vermont is concerned. Very peaceful out there and I saw only 1 person who was hiking in the 8 miles or so of going thru the notch so I don't think anyone would bother anyone who was out there detecting.

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
Have you guys made the trip?

littlebird13

Feb 21, 2006
UPSTATE N.Y.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
sadly no,

But for a great reason, My 9 year old son qualified for nationals in maryland in wrestling. So I've been really busy with fundraisers.

Hope to make it over soon.

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
Thats awesome tell your son congrats. and good luck. I used to wrestle in school. I sent you a message. DId you get it? Let me know

OP
OP
Midnightrider08

Midnightrider08

Mar 9, 2008
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Congrats to your Son on Nationals.

Sadly I also have not made it back up as I have been real busy. Rather sad considering I'm less then 10-15 miles away from where it ended originally.

I've been down in the Waterbury Area at the Flea Market and staying at The Little River State Park and doing alot of Hikes on the History Trail of the Little River Block of the Mt Mansfield Forest. There's got to be 80-100 settlement sites out there not to mention many late 1800's Sawmills and there also was the CCC Camp for the Dam.

The Park People been awesome as far as Park People go. Could not say enough good things about them. If that's more in anyone's area lmk as I'd like a partner to hunt & learn with. Still haven't hooked up with anyone yet but looking forward to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread