Strange Victorio Peak Info... Maybe the answer to where the gold went?

Satori

Aug 1, 2007
Anywhere there's treasure
While doing some research on gold currency use in the US, I came across an interesting website discussing the sale of gold bars to England in 1967 & 1968 orchestrated by President Lyndon Johnson. Maybe the VP gold was used for the sale. Just a thought...

Copyright © 1999 by Freemarket Gold & Money Report. All Rights Reserved.

First published on December 13, 1999 in FGMR Letter #256
In the 1970's a very courageous gentleman named Edward Durrell claimed that substantially all of the US Gold Reserve being stored at Ft. Knox was gone. Only 1,000 tonnes or so of the 8,500 tonnes supposedly being stored there remained. The rest had been secretly taken from Ft. Knox and shipped to London in 1967 and early 1968 for sale by President Johnson in an ill-fated attempt to keep the price of Gold at $35 per ounce.

Mr. Durrell provided a lot of anecdotal evidence to support his claim. These included eyewitness accounts of hundreds of Army trucks leaving Ft. Knox in the middle of the night over a period of many weeks, supposedly loaded with the Gold bounty. Other interesting but circumstantial evidence was the sudden and unexpected dismissal of Gordon Tether, business editor for London's Financial Times, who published Mr. Durrell's claims. To my knowledge, no mainstream US newspaper dared to publish Mr. Durrell's allegations.

More circumstantial evidence emerged in the late 1970's when the US Treasury auctioned some Gold in an attempt to keep the Gold price from rising rapidly. The bullion banks bidding in the auction received 'coin-melt' bars, not good delivery bars. The coin-melt bars were fabricated in the 1930's after the Gold confiscation at that time. Coins are only 90% pure Gold, with 10% other metals added to provide durability to the Gold so that it can be used as coin without excessive wear or damage. In contrast, good delivery bars are 99% pure.

Mr. Durrell alleged that the coin-melt bars were not taken to London because their source could easily have been identified, the US being the only country that seized their citizens' Gold. Had the coin-melt bars been sold, the secret nature of the operation would have been compromised, so the coin-melt bars remained at Ft. Knox while the good delivery bars were sold in London in President Johnson's diabolical, unsuccessful scheme. Subsequent administrations, too afraid of the consequences from telling the truth, have continued the cover-up.

Clearly, the above examples are not sufficient to prove Mr. Durrell's claim, but one piece of evidence does raise serious questions. He claimed that a proper audit of the Gold reserve had not been made since the late 1950's during the Eisenhower administration. Moreover, despite his best efforts to get an audit completed, including as I recall offers to pay for the audit himself (which were not hollow promises because he was a very wealthy businessman), no audit was undertaken. The reason? The US Treasury said it was unnecessary 'because everyone knew that the Gold was still in Ft. Knox'.

The Treasury's curious response always seemed incredulous to me, so I have remained open-minded about whether the Gold was there or not. After all, we now know that President Johnson had lied to the nation about the Gulf of Tonkin incident that dragged the US into war in Viet Nam, so who is to say that he didn't also lie about the Gold in Ft. Knox?

Mr. Durrell passed away at age 90 in the early 1980's. With his passing, and the decline in inflation and the Gold price from the 1980 highs, over time this controversy was largely forgotten. I too put it largely out of mind until the early 1990's when I came to know a very wealthy industrialist with an interesting story.

I wrote about this gentlemen and his story in April 1994 (FGMR #143, Thinking the Unthinkable). He had requested anonymity, so I only refer to him as André, which is not his real name. André provided some additional interesting details, many of which filled in some unexplained gaps in Mr. Durrell's allegations.

Earlier in the year I reprinted this article because it was becoming clear to me that Mr. Durrell's and André's contention that the US Gold reserve was missing helped explain what was happening in the Gold market. As the huge weight of Gold being loaned and borrowed grew seemingly without end, it appeared to me that the Gold supposedly in Ft. Knox must be part of the equation. So I asked myself what could I do about it?

Satori

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great comments. Where can I buy this book? I live in Bridgeport Connecticut and will not be visiting the site. I do not like big snakes.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Conn/Danny...

All the snakes in that part of the country ain't big. Just the ones you see! ;D

Cheers, DR

jones791

Dec 6, 2007
Las Cruces
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50/ Minelab Etrac
If you want to know how the gold was removed from Victorio Peak and who was responsible get the trilogy about to be released called the Gold House. The author has done a tremendous amount of research and documentation on what occurred at Victorio.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
jones791 said:
If you want to know how the gold was removed from Victorio Peak and who was responsible get the trilogy about to be released called the Gold House. The author has done a tremendous amount of research and documentation on what occurred at Victorio.

I'd rather know where the gold came from originally, what Noss' true role was in the 'affair' and how Victorio Peak relates to other cache sites in southern NM. When will the publications be available?

jones791

Dec 6, 2007
Las Cruces
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50/ Minelab Etrac
Springfield said:
jones791 said:

I'd rather know where the gold came from originally, what Noss' true role was in the 'affair' and how Victorio Peak relates to other cache sites in southern NM. When will the publications be available?
They should be out anytime. I know that the Author has a few advanced copies of book 1 and 2 in. I spoke with him a month or so ago and it was my understanding that they were ready to go. He has some interesting theories on Victorio Peak and where the gold came from.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know what the army did with the treasure they took out of the cave.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Connecticut Danny said:
Great comments. Where can I buy this book? I live in Bridgeport Connecticut and will not be visiting the site. I do not like big snakes.

CD - I lived in Newtown for a number of years back in the 60's / 70's. You are in the WRONG place to NOT like big, poisonous snakes ! I remember some VERY 'healthy' Copperheads & Water Moccasins in that part of the country. :o

Diggem'

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many of the soldiers that removed the treasure ended up in Viet Nam so as to have no
witnesses?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the writer of #1, I am wondering who did the Army sell the treasures to and what the federal government did with the money. Noss and his family got cheated out of their fair shares. Was there any books publish in 2012?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread