Victorio Peak Update

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
El Paso Texas/Las Cruces New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro. and AT Gold, Nox 800,Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some still there. You know what's funny, that there is an airstrip very close to the peak. Not out on the flats, but right up on the mountains. I grew up out there,still have a ranch that borders WSMR/NASA. Grandpa worked there for 25 yrs in the Missile program. Asked him about Victorio peak, his response was "lots of Gold there, well there was"

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bob, where do you hunt? Im in Las Cruces. Wanna hit the Caballos sometime?

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Casca and User not found. I'm game, I know a good road that takes you to the east side since the damn is closed. If you guys didn't know that yet which I'm sure you did. There are about 3 good mines visible from road as well. I just needed a good light source for one of them. It's completely stable and tall enough to stand in. Have you guys been in the caves in the Caballos?

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Casca and User not found. I'm game, I know a good road that takes you to the east side since the damn is closed. If you guys didn't know that yet which I'm sure you did. There are about 3 good mines visible from road as well. I just needed a good light source for one of them. It's completely stable and tall enough to stand in. Have you guys been in the caves in the Caballos?

Would love to, just a matter of timing for me. I'll contact Casca and maybe when I'm the area we can get together. Never been in the Caballos.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some still there. You know what's funny, that there is an airstrip very close to the peak. Not out on the flats, but right up on the mountains. I grew up out there,still have a ranch that borders WSMR/NASA. Grandpa worked there for 25 yrs in the Missile program. Asked him about Victorio peak, his response was "lots of Gold there, well there was"

Supposedly, the main cache was moved to LBJ's ranch in Texas.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bob, I just got back from my bullet casing hunt lol. All I been finding lately. Im not sure where the damn is. Only hole I found was high up behind a boulder. I didnt go in, was too tired after the climb. I always carry lights, but nothing with a lot of power. I have a few different bags I use for different things. I did get some more photos today, trying different settings to pull out more detail. Had the dogs with me, so no long hikes today. I will check back more often so maybe I can catch one of you guys next time your out. Are either of you familiar with the Checker Board area? Im pretty convinced that area holds some stuff. Also the west side has some neat stuff too.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Short Stack, I think your talking about the Victorio Peak story. I am looking for the Padre La Rue. I have two areas of interest. One in the Dona Anas, and one in the Organs. I also have a few hunts scheduled for some friends out of state. The area around VP is a protected site and off limits to the public unfortunately.

jackrook

Nov 1, 2010
Glendale, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca said:
Hey Short Stack, I think your talking about the Victorio Peak story. I am looking for the Padre La Rue. I have two areas of interest. One in the Dona Anas, and one in the Organs. I also have a few hunts scheduled for some friends out of state. The area around VP is a protected site and off limits to the public unfortunately.

Well for a lot of people, the La Rue mine is connected to Victorio Peak in one way or another

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been to the ranch. Doubt the cache was moved there...just doesn't seem like a great place for storage.

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the Victorio mine was Chief Victorios spoils from robbing the Butterfield stage and the camino real stages headed west and north. The Padre mine on the other hand I feel has not been found. It is supposedly on the west face of the mountain range which s visible for a whole lot of people. And I think it wash mine they worked and smelted themselves. Legends say that Victorio Peak held ornate treasures of every kind and that the Padre mine had some great pieces but mainly consisted of gold bars stacked along the walls of the cave. Oh yeah, I'm not joking when I say I think I am onto the lost silver of the Franklin Mountains. That would be sweet:laughing7:

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the Victorio mine was Chief Victorios spoils from robbing the Butterfield stage and the camino real stages headed west and north. The Padre mine on the other hand I feel has not been found. It is supposedly on the west face of the mountain range which s visible for a whole lot of people. And I think it wash mine they worked and smelted themselves. Legends say that Victorio Peak held ornate treasures of every kind and that the Padre mine had some great pieces but mainly consisted of gold bars stacked along the walls of the cave. Oh yeah, I'm not joking when I say I think I am onto the lost silver of the Franklin Mountains. That would be sweet:laughing7:

Interesting,... have you found their arrastra? Or, what makes you believe your on to it, per say. Did someone - Caraca- share some information with you? I've read about LaRue from several different sources, actually any and all sources I have found regarding it...but the story is not consistent. From stories of the church casting a shadow to the location, to one, two, three day travel. Or the best, it was all ready found. If it was a silver mine why would they be gold bars in the cave? I'll help you out, its not on the west side.

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Silver I am speaking of is in the Franklins here in El Paso. It's not related to the Padre mine. I think the padre mine is in tucked deep in the canyons my self.

mullnax

Apr 10, 2012
El Paso
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in el paso and I am military. we can look around victorio peak sometime if anyone wants too. been there a few times but only found 1800 military items. have not been in the cabello mountains yet but I really want to. So lets all get together and go find some markers and then some treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread