Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
So the Caballo Tavern is long gone I take it? I was hoping to visit and further restrict the viewshed with windows...

Did you ever see a telescope anywhere in the place? And what years did you visit it?

Any thoughts on the location of the sheave block in the story?

Never been to the place - don't know anything about it. I Googled the bar location, even though the view of the Caballos is likely to be about the same from anywhere in the village. The Caballos are outside my stomping grounds.

When I got the story in '82, a bunch of us considered making a project out of it, but I was consumed with my own gig in the Silver City area and didn't feel like dealing with the army of scammers, weirdos and criminals in those hills. T or C is kinda fun in an odd way - I've been over there numerous times to visit friends, soak in the hot springs, etc. As some guy told me last winter, " You know, we're all a little quirky around here."

I have an acquaintance who still knocks around in the Caballos. My understanding is that an old cable anchor bolted into a rock is a landmark known by many. There's also a Cable Canyon in there, but I don't know if that's the place or not. Not Peralta seems to have spent some time in those hills - maybe he can get you lined out.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy to go down there and take some photos and video, but would like to focus on the best areas and not just wander around.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I would be happy to go down there and take some photos and video, but would like to focus on the best areas and not just wander around.

That would be cool and I think we'd all like to see your pics. I've posted everything I know about it. Hopefully someone with more details will step forward.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UncleMatt, I have spent time there but not since early1990's, the arrey café was real popular with locals mostly local cowboys, it would be hard to think it isn't there anymore,
but ditto every thing else that springfield said about that crazy place t or c . np:cat:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the help, but that GPS point is a driveway to the cemetery. Is the cafe on the adjacent property to the north? And if anyone knows the sheave block or cable anchor location, let me know and I will stop by there.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
There is an interesting discussion about this topic HERE

That was fun - forgot about that thread. I never figured out who 'Unregistered' was, but he knew stuff. So did (does) '10x'. 'Softy' still posts on another forum - he'd be a good guy to contact. I think he's in Las Cruces. Roger Snow doesn't post much anymore. Most people trash him (he's a bit cantankerous at times) but that's a big mistake - he is extremely well-informed and has been generous to people who weren't trying to exploit him.

Anyway, as you can tell by that thread, lots of opinions exist about lots of stuff that's happened in those hills. Do yourself a favor: before you go down there, get a land status map and figure out who owns all the land where you're interested - BLM, State, private, etc. It wouldn't hurt to research who has valid mining claims either. Know your legal rights ahead of time.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've followed that thread, and others re: VP etc. for years. Check in once in a while, but there is rarely anything new.
Some of the names and places are now being discussed on this forum, so all is good I suppose.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just threw it out there because there was some content that was relevant to our discussion here. I was disappointed that some key photos were no longer hosted online though. If any of you noticed those, and have them yourself, I would love to see them here.

Springfield, thanks for your concern, but I would never waltz into an area in an obvious way without first learning everything I can about it, or taking the proper precautions should they be warranted. I have every active and inactive mining claim ever filed displayed permanently on my Google Earth, to always make me aware of the rights of others. I would want them to respect my rights under those circumstances, and so I do the same for them. I am always paid handsomely for going overboard in the asking permission and being polite and courteous department. I want them on my side so I can learn everything I can from them anyway. Its so rare that people do that these days that I always seem to get a leg up just for approaching in the right way.

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
... Springfield, thanks for your concern, but I would never waltz into an area in an obvious way without first learning everything I can about it, or taking the proper precautions should they be warranted. ...

Yeah, I pretty much figured you for someone who would be well prepared. I was using that post as a blanket statement for 'treasure hunters' everywhere. I like to know the score ahead of time. Of course, I also am well aware of this universal truth: "It's easier to ask forgivness than it is to ask permission."

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
...I was disappointed that some key photos were no longer hosted online though. If any of you noticed those, and have them yourself, I would love to see them here....

Here's Benny, the guy wearing the armor in Las Cruces.
benny.jpg

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mining claims only

.................. and the only problem with Mining Claims is that if you find processed precious metals, the claim is worthless. It just depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for caves full of gold bars, then the only thing a mining claim is good for, is keeping people out of specific areas where you are searching (specifically your claims).

It might be worth it though. Spend a couple thousand and claim up the side of a mountain just to keep other folks away from where you are looking.

Mike

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
.................. and the only problem with Mining Claims is that if you find processed precious metals, the claim is worthless. It just depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for caves full of gold bars, then the only thing a mining claim is good for, is keeping people out of specific areas where you are searching (specifically your claims).

It might be worth it though. Spend a couple thousand and claim up the side of a mountain just to keep other folks away from where you are looking.

Mike

In New Mexico, a mining claim does not grant a right to keep people off your claim, especially on public land. If you are actively engaged in executing a mining plan (actually recovering ore), then you do have certain restrictive rights.

There aren't many treasure trove claims filed any more in NM because of the legal uncertainty of ownership in the event something is found. Lawyers. Besides, a lot of folks don't like to advertise their secret locations by filing locations in the public records. Rules for both types of claims vary by state.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gully, A Mexican mining claim does not confer any surface rights unless it is that type of mining, of course you may build any structure as is necessary for the mining..

but as the Hacienda explained to me, if you find a bar or two hidden in an old abandoned tunnel, or mill, it is your's, just declare it and pay your taxes.

The trouble with the Tayopa is that It can easily be declared a Patramonial of Mexico by greedy politicians

You have the right to protct the claim for security and safety - can't have a bunck of yokels running around yout machinry.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, I keep the old and current mining claims on my GE all the time to simply inform me of when I need to be respectful of people's mining claim rights. Nothing more than that! The last thing I want is a confrontation with someone if I am illegally trying to take samples from their claim. I have known some to place claims in areas they are searching for caches, simply to deter people from digging around on the site. I know a guy who has a claim simply so if he finds something, he can try to pass it off as coming from ore in the ground on his claim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread