DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the "family partnership" knew right where they wanted to dig when the government gave them the chance-what were they really looking for?
Because when the government shut them out after the dig failed and time was up Letha and Jerry hired two renowned treasure trackers to follow the story of the treasure as Letha and Jerry knew them into the Caballo Mountains. So the mystery becomes why have men looking in the Caballos if you "know" the treasure is in Victorio Peak? NP:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IN 1995 jerry c filed claims on the west side of the caballo mnts. he also purchased a yearly pass for caballo campgrounds, this was his base of operations. at this time letha and her other son were in the process of moving to Washington state. the claims filed will give the exact location were they were hunting.the reason I say exact, he hired a professional surveyor to mark the claims. very interesting since the treasure was supposed to be in victorio peak. np:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
real de tayopa tropical tramp. one of the things I find really curious is when jerry c . hired a ground penetrating group for three days to search around a peculiar rock formation on the claims in the caballo"s . the rock formation he was looking for had a specific name,I'll save that information for later. they were pretty busy in the caballo's for knowing the treasure was in victorio peak np:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the claims in the caballo's the key marker to one of the things they were looking for was a rock formation shaped like ( rabbit ears). this was supposed to be the key to the crack in the rocks that DOC went down into to get in the room were he found the padre at a table and a leather pouch containing papers, also in this room is a door entering another room which was said to contain stacked bars of gold, they called this the vault because it was said to contain other items as well,they called the room the padre was in the counting room, because of the nature of some of the papers doc found in the leather pouch, at this particular rock formation is were jerry c had the ground penetrating radar working for three days trying to locate the entrance to the crack. np:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My theory and opinion on the "Doc" Noss treasure:
I do believe Doc Noss found a hidden count and storage room with a dead Padre at a table, and that he did find documents of great importance in a leather pouch and in another room, he did find gold bars stacked up along with other artifacts. I personally believe these items were found in the Caballo Mtns in New Mexico. Doc had told Ova this story about the room caving in. Due to the cave-in, he would never be able to do anything else with it, but found information about another treasure somewhere else close by.
I believe during this time period that Doc found these items the location would eventually be compromised due to activity around the area. There were several ranches and homesteads in the area. It was open range and lots of cowboys always watching and hunting for cattle. Also Mexican sheep and goat ranchers. Not a good place for discovery, too many people.
Doc needed to find another place to claim his find.
In the mean time, he started stashing his finds in other locations. In case someone found the original site, he would still have some gold. I personally do not believe he wanted to move very much out of the original location. I think there was too large of an amount.
The Victorio Peak caves had been used by lots of different groups of people. It was used so much there could not have been anything hidden there.
Doc did not trust anyone, but when he found out about Victorio Peak, that was his solution to many things. He had taken enough gold out of the original site to last for awhile. I think he went back at night and blew the original sites entrances closed knowing everything in it would be safe. He could now concentrate on Victorio Peak as his location for "finding" his gold. I believe Doc went back to Victorio Peak quite a few times, surveying the caves, found all the entrances and blew all but one shut so that it would never be assessable again.
Now to complete his plan, he just needed a witness to his "find". For whatever reason, he chose "Ova" and swore her to secrecy. I think Doc did something to 1 or 2 of the gold bars to make them look older and stashed them in the cave near the entrance along with a few other artifacts. Doc and Ova would go there several times camping like they did other places. After hearing all the stories from Doc about what was in the cave, Doc would finally make one or more trips out of the cave with gold bars and a few artifacts to convince Ova of his "find". Now all he had to do was convince Ova that the opening wasn't big enough to bring everything out, that he needed to enlarge the opening, which he actually wanted to seal forever to keep his secret safe.
What ever he brought out of the original site and was trying to sell ended up getting him killed. From then on a treasure legend was born. Because it had an innocent eye witness (Ova) to Doc bringing treasure out of Victorio Peak. She would swear to it for the rest of her life because to her it was true.
NP:cat:

Last edited:

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you fit in the story ?
Good friend ?
Live close by .
Family ?
Just asking , you have a wealth of info , thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H-2 Charlie, hello , to answer, I will just tell you that a life time of treasure hunting and researching has taken me to many places.
I have much more information to share. thank you. np:cat: what would you like to know.np:cat:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Doc Noss treasure has always lacked important information. What information did Doc Noss have that took him to his "real" discovery site? Where did he get this information? Who did this site belong to and why was it put there? I guess the secret died with him...or did it? With all the other information Ova had that she never paid attention to until much later.
I think for years Ova and the rest of the family were blinded by the fact that Ova knew she had witnessed Doc remove some treasure items out of Victorio Peak. So that must be where the treasure was located.
Well, If that's true, then why did Letha G. and Jerry C. take a different course of action on the treasure immediately after the closing of Victorio Peak? And why weren't the other family members involved? That is the great question.
Now, more food for thought. The Caballos are half-way markers from Sonoro to Santa Fe along the Rio Del Norte.
1. Was the dead Padre with documents found by Doc Noss connected to Padre Fransico Orosco, the Inventory Padre?
2. Did Doc Noss know Carl Sauer who in 1927 inspected the Tayopa documents?
3. Any co-incidence between the Apache Trail running through the Caballos and New Mexico?
4. IM not talking about the caballo's being the location of tayopa,or the location of the mines.np:cat:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting, sounds like what i would do if i found a large cache. being i work solo,move some to small satellite cache's sites out of that area buried less than a foot deep,close to a back road,seconds to bury and seconds to recover,snatch and grab caches.move a larger amount to the double site. that ill use as a safe deposit box.then if i get busted,ill give up the double site. keep the main site well hidden,along with the quick snatch and grab sites.yea,thats my plan. now all i need is to find the booty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc Noss was a creature of habit, any time he went camping or in the mountains the only thing he would take with him to eat was canned tomatoes and sardines. and the place were he spent the most time was called sardine canyon in the caballos.
when you start climbing up sardine canyon you will encounter a large diameter shipping rope used to climb a cliff side, some one also put a metal cross in a small cave further up the canyon, the cross cannot be removed from the cave because its larger than the opening, Its a lot easier to start from the top of the caballos were the towers are to get on to the old apache trail.np:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years, Ova shared stories with Letha. It is these shared stories that led Letha and Jerrry to begin hunting the Caballos...and south of the Caballos. Ova knew that Doc went many places besides Victorio Peak. Usually she'd wait in the car. Sometimes they would camp. Doc would stress the importance of some of these places should anything happen to him. One of these places was outside of Rincon, NM. Ova believed in Victorio Peak, but Letha wasn't so sure. Doc had told Ova that if anything ever happened to him, she should go back to the spring at Rincon were they had camped many times before. On a rock shelf in the cliff, covered with rocks, above the spring was a small trunk he had hidden which contained some gold and other treasure artifacts. The artifacts included all the documents from the dead Padre found in the room.
So, the mystery of the documents found with the Padre could be solved at the location at Rincon. Letha and Jerry hunted this location with no results.np:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their own reasons for not trusting the government. I personally do not believe the government ever took anything out of Victorio Peak. There's absolutely no proof they ever did. And there's absolutely no proof that there ever was any gold or artifacts in Victorio Peak. Only what Ova said Doc had taken out.
Over the years people have come up with all types of stories. Like, well, retired generals from White Sands went to Mexico and opened resorts. OR Johnson took the gold and hid it on his ranch in Texas and Mexico. OR the gold was flown in C130's to a smelter in Canada. (And on one of these flights gold bars fell out of the back of the plane onto a farm in the state of Washington on the coast.) OR the CIA used it for black-ops. OR the Knights of the Golden Circle put it in Victorio Peak and then removed it.
HOGWASH
There is no proof of this fabulous treasure ever being in Victorio Peak, only what Doc told Ova and what Doc wanted Ova to witness.
Because of the claims by Ova, the government had to investigate Victorio Peak. That's their job, that's what they're supposed to do. (White Sands was becoming the new Area 51 at the time.)
After gaining entrance into the cave system they found that there was no validity to her claims and proceeded in closing the area. But to satisfy Ova, they still let the family look. Until enough was enough. You can't find what isn't there.
We have a Grand Canyon of the west. We have a Grand Canyon of the east.
We have a Money Pit of the east. We have a Money Pit of the west, VICTORIO PEAK. np:cat:

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sure is an interesting explanation- and could lead to another search in a different area altogether. So, has anyone that you know of searched the area that Jerry and Letha were searching?

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry continued the search of this area for over a year after Victorio Peak was closed. Unfortunately for him, his investors grew tired of funding his efforts. Many of his investors had already spent most of their life savings on the Victorio Peak project. They had little left to give. Once the money ran out, the few people involved were forced to move on to other endeavors.
Many people continue to search the Caballo Mountains for treasure of some kind or another. I don't believe any further effort has been undertaken on this particular project of Jerry's.
If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them. NP:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe these will help. Notice how some things are done in sevens. There are some intriguing references. Go ahead and click on them to enlarge them. Study and enjoy.
img099.jpg img100.jpg
img131.jpg
NP :cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions