Obscure reference to Victorio Peak: 1938

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Found this reference in a bibliography of a journal article while searching around on JSTOR. What struck me is that it sounds potentially like the Victorio Peak site but was written not long after the Doc Noss dicovery. Anyone fmiliar with this source? Might be worth checking out...

Martinez, Reyes​
1938 The Padre's Mine at Cafion de la Soledad. Unpublished manuscript in the files of theW.P.A. New Mexico Federal Writers' Project, History Library, Museum of New Mexico,
Santa Fe.

The article that refered to this source was:
Treasure Tales and Pedagogical Discourse in Mexicano New Mexico
Charles L. Briggs
The Journal of American Folklore
Vol. 98, No. 389 (Jul. - Sep., 1985) , pp. 287-314 Published by: American Folklore Society
Stable URL: JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I saw that story referenced in a footnote in The Lost Gold Mine of Juan Mondragon, a great book. I guess the only place to see the story is in the Santa Fe museum. It would be my strong opinion that the story deals with the Padre La Rue legends in Soledad Canon in the Organ Mountains above Las Cruces, NM.

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
I was under the impression that many though Padre LaRue and Victorio Peak treasures were one in the same. Minimally, that Padre LaRue's Mines became the depository for others in successive generations that added to the treasure already tehre. Am I mistaken Springfield?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I was under the impression that many though Padre LaRue and Victorio Peak treasures were one in the same. Minimally, that Padre LaRue's Mines became the depository for others in successive generations that added to the treasure already tehre. Am I mistaken Springfield?

Beats me.

I do know that the former name of Victorio Peak was also Soledad Peak, same as the other Soledad Peak in the Organs. All we can do is speculate about these things, based on information in the public domain, which, chances are, is likely wrong. Same goes for most all these legends - the more you hear about them, the less likely what you hear is true. That's why I like the little-known stories.

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Actually
the story relates a treasure thought to be up Filmore Canyon under what is referred to by
the Old Shepherds of that area , as " Hat Rock " for it's shape .

Filmore Canyon of the Organ Mountains as well has one of Padre La Rues Mines .

Situated in the center of Filmore Canyon just 30 yards before the head of the Canyon ,

Many holes have been dug around the sides of the boulder that the Hat Rock Monument sits on .

The Monument is actually one of the Tanit Monuments in Filmore Canyon , another is north of this one , high
up against the Bluffs of the High Peaks that make the north wall of Filmore .

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I wonder if that WPA account is included in Lost Treasures & Old Mines, A New Mexico Federal Writers' Project Book by Ann Lacy (2011).

Good luck to all,
The Old Bookaroo

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Proof would be gold. No gold no proof.

Anyone can make out an affidavit. I could do one right now that says the moon is made out of green cheese. Would that prove the moon is composed of green cheese? What penalty would I suffer if my affidavit is false?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lie detector? Nonsense, there is no such thing as a lie detector. I think you mean polygraph test?

The DOD has a policy against giving soldiers polygraph tests except in some very specific circumstances. None of which are about checking the veracity of an affidavit. Not gonna happen. Not even for green cheese.

People write nonsense all the time. Whether it's an affidavit or someone with little knowledge writing on a subject on an internet forum those writings may be attributed to an individual but they are not "proof" of anything.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wondered why none of the military members came forward who drove the heavy equipment and trucks that removed the gold from Victorio Peak during the LBJ and Nixon era. I for one would have told everyone in my circle and would have gone public after I was discharged. I would have written a book and named names of everyone involved. I would have signed an affidavit attesting to everything. Unless...wait for it...I was paid to keep quiet.
Dirt.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Head in the sand syndrome. Ask for facts. Ignore all facts. Rinse. Repeat. Go read "The Noss Gold" and see what facts you find to fit your preconceived notion.
Still no gold eh? My only preconcieved notion is the fact that there is no gold.
I thought you had proof to offer? Now you direct me to some one else' book. Where is the proof you offered?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wondered why none of the military members came forward who drove the heavy equipment and trucks that removed the gold from Victorio Peak during the LBJ and Nixon era. I for one would have told everyone in my circle and would have gone public after I was discharged. I would have written a book and named names of everyone involved. I would have signed an affidavit attesting to everything. Unless...wait for it...I was paid to keep quiet.
Dirt.
Probably because they didn't want to go to prison, if it did happen, it would have been classified as top secret, and revealing secret info is punishable by up to 10 years in prison even after discharge.

"Codified at 18 U.S.C. § 798, it prohibits knowingly disclosing “to an unauthorized person,” publishing, or “us[ing] in any manner prejudicial to the safety or interest of the United States or for the benefit of any foreign government to the detriment of the United States” a variety of classified information."

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me it goes beyond just military as a private contractor doing work at that base you can not talk about anything for ever.
Correct, civilians are subject to the same penalty as the military for revealing classified information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread