Willie L Douthit

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Naw, I'm kinda burnt out on eye candy. But here's an interesting rock I found, believe it or not, just this morning. Had to take the pic with my phone, so sorry about the resolution. Can anyone here figure out the code?

View attachment 1530769

I know what the squarish or rectangular rock with a square corner cut off it means, and I've seen many of them in spots I was lead to by other things, but I don't know what the X , 1490 and 4 would mean. Maybe the 90 part means east. The X is placed on the left lobe of an old eroded heart shaped chip or divot. Maybe you are right next to something and the numbers are all to throw you for spin. Must be other things around it, I doubt it's a survey marker, although I've seen old surveyors that used readily available shaped vault markers in places for their property section markers without knowing any better..

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
I did some research for a code with 1490. I chose Freemasonry.
1490 and Freemason. The Cooke Manuscript circa 1490 (Freemasonry constitution), 327 years before the organization of the grand lodge of England. It's also the date of the Vitruvian man by Da Vinci. But 327 is 3 off 330 degrees, which is a bearing I've seen ("3 degrees off" is very common). The 4 could be paces , but I would multiply it by 3 or 10. That's thing with codes, you have no idea what the person who did them really meant, it's all trial and error which isn't usually desirable when you have deep holes to dig.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what the squarish or rectangular rock with a square corner cut off it means, and I've seen many of them in spots I was lead to by other things, but I don't know what the X , 1490 and 4 would mean. Maybe the 90 part means east. The X is placed on the left lobe of an old eroded heart shaped chip or divot. Maybe you are right next to something and the numbers are all to throw you for spin. Must be other things around it, I doubt it's a survey marker, although I've seen old surveyors that used readily available shaped vault markers in places for their property section markers without knowing any better...

...I did some research for a code with 1490. I chose Freemasonry.
1490 and Freemason. The Cooke Manuscript circa 1490 (Freemasonry constitution), 327 years before the organization of the grand lodge of England. It's also the date of the Vitruvian man by Da Vinci. But 327 is 3 off 330 degrees, which is a bearing I've seen ("3 degrees off" is very common). The 4 could be paces , but I would multiply it by 3 or 10. That's thing with codes, you have no idea what the person who did them really meant, it's all trial and error which isn't usually desirable when you have deep holes to dig.

For those who wish to learn. As I've mentioned numerous times, there are indeed genuine treasure markers to be found, but 99+% of what we'd like to believe are "signs" leading to vaults of loot are ... simply ... not. We can waste days, month, years following things that are either natural phenomena or manmade items created for purposes other than hidden treasure clues. Hikers, hunters, hippies, pioneers, surveyors, graffitiers, fur trappers, cowboys, soldiers, timber cruisers, prospectors, good Catholics - you name it - all left cairns, carvings, rock patterns, posts, pipes, rebars, nails, spikes, blazes, distorted trees, intaglios, and other manipulations to leave information to be used for their respective purposes.

The rock pictured in Post #399 is corner 4 of the Opher lode, shown on Mineral Survey 1490. The rock was carved July 17-18, 1912. by US Mineral Surveyor C.E. Johnson. The "x" is where he plumbed his instrument. Today, we'll be searching for corner 1 of the Tunnel Site. If we find it, I'll post a photo.

I'm not disparaging you in particular, Q, but I am suggesting that our enthusiasm often paints pictures in our minds that can be clarified if we are truly open-minded about this treasure stuff. I've been fooled many times in similar ways myself, and experience has taught me to leave all options on the table as your working model is refined. Researching historical documents might well save mucho time wandering in the hills (which in itself is worthwhile for reasons other than "treasure hunting").

1490.jpg

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
For those who wish to learn. As I've mentioned numerous times, there are indeed genuine treasure markers to be found, but 99+% of what we'd like to believe are "signs" leading to vaults of loot are ... simply ... not. We can waste days, month, years following things that are either natural phenomena or manmade items created for purposes other than hidden treasure clues. Hikers, hunters, hippies, pioneers, surveyors, graffitiers, fur trappers, cowboys, soldiers, timber cruisers, prospectors, good Catholics - you name it - all left cairns, carvings, rock patterns, posts, pipes, rebars, nails, spikes, blazes, distorted trees, intaglios, and other manipulations to leave information to be used for their respective purposes.

The rock pictured in Post #399 is corner 4 of the Opher lode, shown on Mineral Survey 1490. The rock was carved July 17-18, 1912. by US Mineral Surveyor C.E. Johnson. The "x" is where he plumbed his instrument. Today, we'll be searching for corner 1 of the Tunnel Site. If we find it, I'll post a photo.

I'm not disparaging you in particular, Q, but I am suggesting that our enthusiasm often paints pictures in our minds that can be clarified if we are truly open-minded about this treasure stuff. I've been fooled many times in similar ways myself, and experience has taught me to leave all options on the table as your working model is refined. Researching historical documents might well save mucho time wandering in the hills (which in itself is worthwhile for reasons other than "treasure hunting").

View attachment 1531375

Like I said before old surveyors used readily available shaped markers for the own surveying property corners. They make great surveying markers. The tombstone shape was another one that surveyors used in section marking. They just grabbed what was nearby and used it.
Your marker itself, with no writing on it at one time was 100% an old treasure marker, if you know what that shape with a cut corner actually meant in relation to treasure. Once moved by the surveyor for his own marker use, it's not usable. The lettering on it is much newer than the shaping of it. Most of these mining areas have undiscovered shafts and vaults that were placed well before the genius gold rush miners came along and destroyed everything looking for peanuts. In fact many of the mines they worked were already old open shafts. Even some of the ones still being worked today were just old shafts that came uncovered by a landslide.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Like I said before old surveyors used readily available shaped markers for the own surveying property corners. They make great surveying markers. The tombstone shape was another one that surveyors used in section marking. They just grabbed what was nearby and used it.
Your marker itself, with no writing on it at one time was 100% an old treasure marker, if you know what that shape with a cut corner actually meant in relation to treasure. Once moved by the surveyor for his own marker use, it's not usable. The lettering on it is much newer than the shaping of it. Most of these mining areas have undiscovered shafts and vaults that were placed well before the genius gold rush miners came along and destroyed everything looking for peanuts. In fact many of the mines they worked were already old open shafts. Even some of the ones still being worked today were just old shafts that came uncovered by a landslide.

The Mineral Surveyors preferred flat-surfaced rocks because they were easier to carve, not because they were ancient treasure markers. They also liked to cut off a corner or notch the rock in order to help draw attention to it, making it easier to others to find. The rock's size, shape, carving and squared corner notch is all described in his field notes. Reality sucks, eh?

I wish the claim corner we finally located today had been easier to find - a 24"x10"x10" stone originally half buried. A lot of changes occurred on this hill during the past 105 years - enough to bury the rock all the way to the top surface in dirt and forest detritus. The "x" is not a Maltese Cross, but the exact corner location.

Next time you're in the area, Q, maybe we can go out and harvest some of that treasure that those bonehead miners left behind.

Tunnel Site 1.jpg

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I must know where alot of mine markers are then in areas where there has never been any mining activity ;) I'd gladly go out in the field with you, I'm sure we could both learn a few things from each other. I'm probably not what you would expect, you probably expect a young naive guy, I'm in my 50's and no spring chicken, but still in great shape.

The square or rectangle shape with a square or rectangular mark in one corner is the hieroglyph for "chamber" or tomb/vault btw. It's the number one sign I look for at sites and I have found quite a few, some right on the backfill. No mines, property boundaries, section corners anywhere near them. Just other treasure markers lining them out. Many are in the canyons along travel routes. There will sometimes be a singled out 10-100 ton boulder laying near the sites to bring you over to them and then figure out where the other markers are from there. Some of the Square boulders with the cut out are 10-15 ton boulders themselves. They weren't done by any surveyors or miners. You see them from a distance, they were meant to be found again.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
I did some research for a code with 1490. I chose Freemasonry.

Thanks for the interesting take. Symbology is an ancient and powerful technological innovation. A single symbol embodies a lot of information, and can be universally-understood, even when languages and epochs diverge. Letters and numbers are both symbols in and of themselves, as well as being more recently used as literal and indivisible parts of a whole (i.e., in a word, sentence, etc.) To the modern person, what is the universal meaning of the letter "A"? What about "G"? And so on. To the ancients, each symbol meant paragraphs. Exploring these possibilities is important if there is any truth to in the belief that the deep past is yet present upon the temporally-immediate landscape. Thanks for grounding your post within a framework: Freemasonry. This enables a discussion of your suppositions in a contextualized way. Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable enough in the lore of Freemasonry to offer much of a rebuttal or magnification. Likewise with another apparent poster favorite: the KGC. Some of what you recommend sounds like Templar math, but of course I am also woefully ignorant there, too.

I will say that I think that being over-imaginative or over-literal all leads to the same place: never-found-nuthin-ville.

If one is on a quest for the scraps of some old mine, be they a prospector's high-grade pile, stockpiled ore, the remaining vein material still holding up the mine, or a little smelter-splash, then I'd call it this: "Tuesday". And in this case, being hyper-literal is probably a benefit.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So you guys didn't know about the associations of high level Freemasons and surveying? Not that everyone's in some big conspiracy plot, but there are many connections.

Also again, the rock Sdcfia says was described in the field notes, was noted by the shape of the rock they used, it doesn't say they made it into that shape. They just used one that shape and carved on it. It was already there nearby and already in that shape. People use them for survey corner markers, fence post stabilizers and flower gardens as well. They are just naive about what they represent in situ.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
So you guys didn't know about the associations of high level Freemasons and surveying? Not that everyone's in some big conspiracy plot, but there are many connections.

Also again, the rock Sdcfia says was described in the field notes, was noted by the shape of the rock they used, it doesn't say they made it into that shape. They just used one that shape and carved on it. It was already there nearby and already in that shape. People use them for survey corner markers, fence post stabilizers and flower gardens as well. They are just naive about what they represent in situ.

Well, I certainly would not argue against Masonic links with land surveying and hidden treasure conspiracies - in fact, I support the concept.

Our continent is well-mapped not only in ways that focus on roads, rivers, mountains, etc., but also in ways that emphasize geometry, alignments, certain well-placed structures, significant place names, political monuments and, surprisingly, locations of well-known "treasure clues" - all connected in webs of exceptional accuracy. This is "code" on a grand scale that originated in the Old World and, with the handy Google Earth, cannot be denied when one proves the connections for himself. Here's an fun example with a Masonic flavor.

start.jpg

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I am at back in the 70's the army corps hired an independent surveying group to survey certain lands that became changed due to a reservoir and dams being put in. I even talked to a guy I know in the corps who was working at that time. Now, all the survey lines and corners they made he said are messed up , totally messed up as far as property lines and such. He even told me it was a total screw up in surveying. But if you know about the treasure sites in the area, the surveying done was nothing short of perfect.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh , and look no further than the Washington Monument , the giant Obelisk in DC for the connection between the Army Corps and Freemasonry. It's all upper lever stuff though as far as information. The lower guys don't really know anything. I talked to a guy last year who is a high ranking Knights Templar member and just got 32nd Mason. He told me it was just getting exciting because he was just now getting privy to more secret interesting stuff.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The Mineral Surveyors preferred flat-surfaced rocks because they were easier to carve, not because they were ancient treasure markers. They also liked to cut off a corner or notch the rock in order to help draw attention to it, making it easier to others to find. The rock's size, shape, carving and squared corner notch is all described in his field notes. Reality sucks, eh?

I wish the claim corner we finally located today had been easier to find - a 24"x10"x10" stone originally half buried. A lot of changes occurred on this hill during the past 105 years - enough to bury the rock all the way to the top surface in dirt and forest detritus. The "x" is not a Maltese Cross, but the exact corner location.

Next time you're in the area, Q, maybe we can go out and harvest some of that treasure that those bonehead miners left behind.

View attachment 1531503

Ha one more thing, did you notice the white blotch on yur "post marker" ? It's in the shape of a square with a square corner cut out. These white "blotches" are put on important markers at treasure sites as well. You have a mine claimed and staked out by masons.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha one more thing, did you notice the white blotch on yur "post marker" ? It's in the shape of a square with a square corner cut out. These white "blotches" are put on important markers at treasure sites as well. You have a mine claimed and staked out by masons.

As I recall, that whitish blotch is a lichen growth on the rock's only exposed surface. Was this mine owned by Masons? That would take some digging to establish, but if proven, it wouldn't be shocking news as much of the country's development in that era (mining, railroading, timber, commerce, politics, et al) was carried out by rich folks who were Masons. This time in our history was much different than the present, and Masons - generally better educated and connected - were much more prominent in society. Does this mean they were all in on treasure caching gigs? No. As you just mentioned, there is very little room at the top of a pyramid, but plenty as you descend to the base. Most Masons were (are) way down the ladder.

Be that as it may, if you wanted to go hog wild on the conspiracy angle, then, here: the client we are working for (to establish property lines) is the recent buyer of this and other patented mining claims in the area. They are a religious order that dates back to the 6th century CE. That's interesting, yes, but remember - there's a big difference between being a conspiracy theorist and being a conspiracy analyst. Which are you?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you claim to know where there are treasure sites, but have no treasure to show...

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
If you claim to know where there are treasure sites, but have no treasure to show...

I agree, BUT, its a bit of a conundrum since no one is going to show anything considered proof on a website, and even if they did, it could be hoaxed. So, the best we will ever have are claims and our own ability to test them to our own satisfaction. Still, the treasure vault in every Walmart parking lot claims get a little old. The more shrill the claims, the less likely the claimant is to actually have any knowledge I'd consider valuable. The shadow signs animal menagerie super-complicated explanation folks seem to be the most shrill, on average.

Now... back to Willie D. ?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As far conspiracy's go, I'm not sure what I would be. I have made many connections, but until I catch someone in the act of placing or touching up markers or alignments on one of my sites, I guess I can't say for 100% certain which groups it is for sure. So as far as Masons go, I see them doing alot more good in the world than any thing else. Our country wouldn't be here today if not for them. Also our country is based on what many would consider a conspiracy. The founders of our country (and many were masons) had to "conspire" in secrecy to pull it all off in creating our country and indepedence. I guess it's whatever you consider a conspiracy, or are they just well kept secrets in an organization.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Now... back to Willie D. ?

Ah, yes, back to Willie and reality. Let's see ... shall we talk about vaults of gold bars in the Caballos or flying saucers in the CA desert? Your choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread