Best book to get on Victorio Peak?

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking to buy a book on the subject and I see there's several on Amazon, 100 Ton of Gold, Gold House Trilogy etc.
Just wondering what everyone thought the best one to start with would be. I was looking at a used one today that had a chapter on it, "Lost Cities and Ancient Mysteries of the Southwest" and it had some great old drawings of the tunnels and stuff. Didn't pick it up because I wanted to get a whole book on the subject. Thanks

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want the most researched and annotated books on the subject, get The Gold House Trilogy. They can be a little tedious if you are just looking for the story, but they have more detailed information than anything that has come before.

100 Tons of gold is a very good book as well.

The Treasure of Victoria Peak by Khoury is another great book.

For more information on the area (the Caballo Mountains), you can read for free:

LURE OF THE CABALLOS

The Caballo Mountains run parallel to the San Andres (Victorio Peak), closer to Truth or Consequences.

Those will give you most of what you need to know about Victorio Peak.

Mike

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I ended up picking up 100 Tons of Gold because it was older and I wanted to start there with the story.
If I want to dig deeper I'll definitely pick up the Gold House Trilogy.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
If you want the most researched and annotated books on the subject, get The Gold House Trilogy. They can be a little tedious if you are just looking for the story, but they have more detailed information than anything that has come before.

100 Tons of gold is a very good book as well.

The Treasure of Victoria Peak by Khoury is another great book.

For more information on the area (the Caballo Mountains), you can read for free:

LURE OF THE CABALLOS

The Caballo Mountains run parallel to the San Andres (Victorio Peak), closer to Truth or Consequences.

Those will give you most of what you need to know about Victorio Peak.

Mike

Mike,

I'm trying to find something on the Phil Khoury book you mentioned above.

Google came up empty for me. :sad10:

Is, "The Treasure of Victoria Peak", the title verbatim?

Do you have the book and if so:

What year was it published and who published it? Was ONFP involved in the publication?

Is it a Pamphlet, Hard Back. Soft Cover, etc.?

How many Pages?

I know Phil Khoury was one of Ova's lawyers and I suspect he is the author?

Thanks in Advance,

Garry

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Dr Syn,

Thanks!

I was spelling Koury's "Victoria Peak" [Victorio] and his name [Khoury]!

Wrong on both counts as far as searching goes.:dontknow:

In my defense: I couldn't resist pasting in the one customer review.

This is supposedly a story about the treasure of Victoria Peak. There is no Victoria Peak with a treasure within. It is Victorio Peak. Such sloppy research doesn't bode well, even though the story itself is a very good one. But why should anyone bother to read it when the author doesn't even get the location right?

Garry

Thirsty44

Greenie
Apr 9, 2009
You have my sympathies! I always find it hilarious how the massive power of internet search engines can be defeated by something as simple as idiosyncratic spelling.

Drogo

May 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process of reading "The Gold House" by Clarence and Whittle. It's a three-volume set so it will be a while before I can give you a review of it.

"100 Tons of Gold" by Chandler is great. It gives a lot of details and side stories that I had never heard before, even though my dad had some knowledge of Victorio Peak (and was interviewed by John Clarence).

"100 Tons of Gold" makes you want to get out and hunt treasure!

"What Men Call Treasure" by Schweidel and Boswell is less about the treasure itself and more about a descendent of one of the original treasure seekers realizing his dream to go back and dig in Victorio Peak. For the budget-minded, it's a totally unnecessary read as far as I'm concerned. Spoiler: the authors document that there is indeed nothing left to find in Victorio Peak unless it's buried under tons of rubble. Spoiler #2: the gist of their book is that Victorio Peak probably never had a treasure in it and Doc Noss was scamming people--or so that's how I took some of the subtle statements made in the book.

Knowing what my dad knew about Victorio Peak and the fact that John Clarence interviewed him, I'm pretty convinced that the Army got tons of real treasure from the mountain or other sites (maybe Douthit as well). My read of "The Gold House" will tell me eventually.

So I can fairly discount "What Men Call Treasure" as a waste of time. Too bad it's the easiest of all the books to find. "The Gold House" is only available on e-versions and $185.00 signed copies on eBay, so I consider my three hardcover books bought a few years ago to be almost a treasure in and of themselves!

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
y'all are forgetting probably the earliest writing on Noss and Victorio Peak
''Curse of the San Andres'' by Henry James, although it reads somewhat like a kids book
James was raised in the area, and began writing the book not long after Noss was killed
and before the army ran Ova out of the area, the book was originally published before
the army shut them out but after was rebublished with additions to the last chapter
they make several trips into the peak, it doesnt take long to read and is a good starting
point.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What aboout NP's lil map ? It is correct according to my latest data, it was among the papers sthat Noss had recovered from victorio Peak

a map.jpg

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
100 Tons is "comprehensive", perhaps too much to be a good intro. Once you are hooked on knowing more, it is a veritable fount.

There's more still to be learned in personal exploration, though. Circle K receipts alone won't get you to your heart's desire.

Comb through Treasurenet and you'll find a lot of otherwise unpublished info.

There's also some recent articles on lostadamsgold site, but that's a static site, not a forum. It has a couple of audio interviews.

ALT is another forum, and I bet there are others.

Depending on how connected you think Vic and the Caballos are, the book about the Taggerts is good: Phantom of the Caballos.

Oh yeah, and don't forget YouTube. Terry Carter and others have posted some good Vic/Caballos stuff.

Have fun.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Comb through Treasurenet and you'll find a lot of otherwise unpublished info.

...Like the NP 'lil map. And others.

And, the stories of actual on-the-ground folks of today (like WR and mdog).

And, old documents (some are interesting Circle K receipts).

And good logical, sometimes experience-driven, opinions.

Drogo

May 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go ahead and "call it." "The Gold House" by Clarence and Whittle is the best documented and unbiased treatise on the Victorio Peak treasure that I have found.

It's a three-volume set. I'm about halfway through the three books (I'm in the middle of book two right now). I can tell you that the authors have done a thorough job of documenting everything with some really diligent research in most areas. There is very little in what I've read so far that could be considered hearsay or unsubstantiated.

Mr. Clarence interviewed my dad for the books many years ago. My dad worked at White Sands Missile Range during the time that the Army is suspected to have stolen the treasure out from under the Nosses. My dad told me many stories about Victorio Peak and the Army's thievery. Only two (so far) of those stories made it into "The Gold House." I'm thinking it's because my dad named names and the stories are more substantiated than other incidents which did not make it into the books.

The downside is that the reading gets a little tedious at times, but it's understandable that the authors would want to be meticulous in their reporting since the legend of Victorio Peak runs the gamut from "Noss was a hoaxer and there was no gold" to "many people illegally got rich off of a genuine hidden treasure." The authors fall squarely on the side of the latter, but their research and documentation are so thorough that "The Gold House" has to be the best substantiated historical record of the treasure of Victorio Peak likely to be available EVER.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
if you want trilogy books ask gollum to get in touch with john. john resides within my home now but his books sales are his own gig but i know he will sell and send them to you from here . autofull

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
This is an excellent series of articles on the treasure yarn.

As my brother-in-law says, the best part might be the price - "Free Ninety-Nine."

Part 1 -- 1/26/90 -- Gold search set to begin

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

On the net (and probably here on TN) you may see a photo of Doc Noss' widow holding a sword she said came from the "treasure cave." Perhaps it came from a pawn shop - but I don't think its source was a treasure cave in New Mexico.

Jimi_X

Greenie
Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go ahead and "call it." "The Gold House" by Clarence and Whittle is the best documented and unbiased treatise on the Victorio Peak treasure that I have found.

It's a three-volume set. I'm about halfway through the three books (I'm in the middle of book two right now). I can tell you that the authors have done a thorough job of documenting everything with some really diligent research in most areas. There is very little in what I've read so far that could be considered hearsay or unsubstantiated.

Mr. Clarence interviewed my dad for the books many years ago. My dad worked at White Sands Missile Range during the time that the Army is suspected to have stolen the treasure out from under the Nosses. My dad told me many stories about Victorio Peak and the Army's thievery. Only two (so far) of those stories made it into "The Gold House." I'm thinking it's because my dad named names and the stories are more substantiated than other incidents which did not make it into the books.

The downside is that the reading gets a little tedious at times, but it's understandable that the authors would want to be meticulous in their reporting since the legend of Victorio Peak runs the gamut from "Noss was a hoaxer and there was no gold" to "many people illegally got rich off of a genuine hidden treasure." The authors fall squarely on the side of the latter, but their research and documentation are so thorough that "The Gold House" has to be the best substantiated historical record of the treasure of Victorio Peak likely to be available EVER.

Will you tell us some of the stories your dad passed on to you? I'm surprised nobody has of yet, asked you to.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Jimi_X , click on Drogo’s name to open his profile screen - then click on the post Replies section. Look to his first forum posts and you’ll find your answers.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ok guys, i had to evict the author of the the golds house, victorio peak treasure trilogy. as an aside, he rarely sells his books. he paid to have them printed, he is a self published author and has been sitting on them for whatever reason. he was in my home for a year and sold none. he did leave me a spare set for my use. i guess he wants to be buried with them. i do not know where he went as he lives like a gypsy. if you want his books and you find a set cheap i would just buy them. also, if the downloadable version is still on amazon i would grab that while ya can. this statement is just info for book reading lovers guys.

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of the Gold House Trilogy. They are too lengthy to go in detail here. PM me and I’ll try and answer your questions. I bought them off of Amazon about 3 years ago. Brand New in the wrappers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread