Margaret A Perrone

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I thought Margaret Perrone deserved her own thread and I didn’t want her history buried in the Willie Douthit thread. Some of the information may be repetitious and has been touched on previously but I believe it will be cleaner.

I want to start in the middle of her chronology. I’m still trying to run down her ancestry and activities before 1918 and we have already touched on some things after 1940.

I don’t know who created the marriage form but it is confusing to me.:confused:

Margaret Byron married August Leseman August 22, 1922.

Some of the information seems to be messed up. Numerous records put August’s birth in Nebraska and Margaret’s in Michigan and I believe that Margaret may have been living in El Paso and August was in San Maricial.

You may come up with something different.

Marriage Record - August and Margaret Byron Leseman.jpg

I will add the Divorce Record in a later post.

Garry

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
This is the divorce Complaint (Margaret and August Leseman)

Divorce -August and Margaret Leseman (Complaint) -1.jpg

Divorce -August and Margaret Leseman (Complaint) -2.jpg

Divorce -August and Margaret Leseman (Complaint) -3.jpg

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
This is August's Leseman's Answer to the Complaint.

Divorce -August and Margaret Leseman (Answer).jpg

This is the Final Decree granting the divorce.

Divorce -August and Margaret Leseman (Decree).jpg

Sandwiched into this time frame is the 1930 census information. I was pulling my nose hairs out trying to find Margaret in Hot Springs in 1930. She had to be there but until I had the Leseman name, I was having no success.

They were in Hot Springs, Sierra County, New Mexico and they were living together along with a Justine (She may have been a daughter of August's from a previous marriage?)

Margaret's age is not clearing up!

Margaret's occupation is listed as a "Hospital Nurse" and August has nothing listed for his occupation.

Garry

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great work as usual Garry, if we work together we can clear this whole thing up.

I also figured this deserved it's own thread, I have fun and run my brain ragged at the same time doing this.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found Charles Harris born November 12th 1932 Big Sring, Howard county Texas to Charles J Harris and Margaret Byron, shows that she had several other children that died.

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I found Charles Harris born November 12th 1932 Big Spring, Howard county Texas to Charles J Harris and Margaret Byron, shows that she had several other children that died.

Damn, the water is muddier yet!:laughing7:

I think the person who indexed the father's name may have been in error and I read it as an "I" instead of "J". (That's because I know his middle name was Ira.)

Something seems amiss here. Margaret is 57!

The only consolation is that her age is getting closer to her SSN birth date.:o

I don't want to begin speculating already so I'll move on for the time being!

We could not find Charles and Margaret's marriage in Sierra County so they may have married in Texas. You have probably already found it.:)

Nice Work,

Garry

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garry,

I think I mentioned this before, but her first name is not Margaret. Go to ancestry.com and look for Anemone (and Annemone) M (Margaret) Perrone. Her husband was named Carmine Fred Perrone

U.S.  Find A Grave Index  1600s Current   Ancestry.com.jpeg U.S.  Social Security Death Index  1935 2014   Ancestry.com.jpeg U.S. Veterans Gravesites  ca.1775 2006   Ancestry.com.jpeg

Mike

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you chimed in there mike the more the marry-er, the more heads we put on this the more we might learn. Garry found her maiden name to be Byron ni 1922 she was Magaret A Byron

Yeah we new her name from about 1945-ish on was Annemone Margaret perrone, when she married August Leseman he was living in San Marcial, is that the town or the county? Las Vegas New Mexico
is Known for an ''Assylum'' that was in use for many years and treated everything from tuberculosis to mental illness, I believe she worked with t.b. patients quite a bit, and I found a
August leseman there as well as a Charles Harris, is this where she picked up her men? The marriage license says she was living in El Paso when they married I found a MRS Margaret M Byron
in the El Paso city directory working for the Hendrick Laws Tuberculosis sanitorium.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And if her and Charles were both living in Hot Spring's why was little charlie born in Big Spring, ever heard of Tuberculosis Texas. and why does her obituary list him as her grandson.

I still think she did alot of flying under the radar, and possibly quite a bit of traveling, I have a feeling she may have been in Mexico when some of those census's were taken.

The MRS C.I. Harris census report she says she has a high school education, most people are proud of there education if have any real schoolin behind them, and even if
they are lying through there teeth wont downgrade their educations.
Northwestern started enrolling women in 1859, and they were proud of their little finishing school, but didnt allow study for medical degrees untill the 1920's
I think the first women doctor to graduate was in 1933.

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I want to try and tie Margaret Byron, Margaret Leseman, Margaret Harris and Margaret Perrone together in the next few posts.

This will be piecemeal as we are still missing some records.

We were unable to find the marriage of Margaret and Charles Ira Harris in Sierra County. Both appear in the deed records several times but as is usually the case, we were pressed for time and were unable to do a thorough search and copy of the deed records. We were trying to research Robert “Buster” Ward at the same time and only had 1 day.:-\

If we jump ahead to the 1940 census we find Mrs. C. I. Harris in Hot Springs and she is listed as a widow and her occupation is the manager of a hospital that she apparently owns. A boy Charles Harris, seven years old is living with her and he is listed as her son. She is working on her own account and was employed for 52 weeks in 1939.

A Charles Ira Harris appears in New Mexico, Deaths, 1889-1945 database on the LDS site. His wife is identified as A. (Anemone) Margaret Harris.

Charles Ira Harris - NM Death Records.jpg

Charles is buried in the Hot Springs Cemetery and there is a photo of the Grave Marker on the Findagrave web site. There is a discrepancy between the death year (1938) found on the Grave Marker and the LDS reference (Died March 7, 1939). There is also a discrepancy between the birth date on the Grave Marker and Charles WW I Registration. Charles is found in the WWI Registrations and his birth date is shown as October 3, 1974, while the Grave Marker shows (1875).

We have been unable to locate an obituary for Charles Ira Harris.

Grave Marker - Charles Ira Harris (1875-1938).jpg

Photo Credit: Sandi Evilsizer Koscak

The point being that A. Margaret Harris, was married to Charles Ira Harris, and she is our Margaret Byron.

Garry

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I previously posted that we had been unable to locate the marriage document for Charles Ira Harris and Margaret.

I was looking in a newspaper database last night and ran across a mention of their securing a marriage license.

The El Paso Herald-Post (El Paso Texas) - Friday, December 29, 1933, Page 14, [VITAL STATISTIC OF EL PASO]

This was a list of Marriage Licenses, Births and Deaths in El Paso but there were also Marriage Licenses from Las Cruses, New Mexico. I don't know the actual date of the procurement of the license but it could have been within the last week or even the last month.

"Charles I. Harris and Anemone M. Byron both of Hot Springs N. M."

We have the date of the newspaper and I would guess that they probably acquired the marriage license sometime in December, 1933 in Los Cruses, New Mexico.

You will note that Margaret was going by Byron and not Lesemann. One of the stipulations granted in her divorce of August Lesemann was that she was to take her maiden name back. We also see that this marriage was much later than than the birth certificate that BIGSCOTT found in which Charles and Margaret were listed as the parents of Charles Harris born in October of 1932. (Still some sorting out to do)

Marriage License - Charles Harris and Anemone Byron.jpg

Garry

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I am going to add one more reference to the mix although I know we have covered Margaret’s relationships in this era but this one is from the horse’s mouth. I’m not sure what the purpose of this affidavit served. It may have had something to do with clearing up the deed records in which Margaret had been involved under various names and this was to show that they were all the same Margaret. But all of that is just a guess and I really have no idea what purpose it served.

Sierra County, New Mexico Clerk’s Office. Miscellaneous Book H. Page 150.

Affidavit - Margaret Harris (Alternate Names).JPG

This appears to confirm Mike's death and burial record that her given birth name was Anemone Margaret although she also appears in the records as Margaret and Margaret A. It's probably a moot point as we can be sure that they all refer to Margaret Byron Perrone.

The other thing it implies, is that Margaret was a resident of Hot Springs in November of 1944.

Right now I am leaning toward the idea that Margaret was a continuous resident of Hot Springs from about 1927 until her death in 1973. Her obituary states that she has been a resident of Hot Springs for 46 years.

I haven't tried to follow up on BIGSCOTT's previous references that may put her back in Michigan but I will try to do that.

I'm also reposting Margaret's obituary, since I want to refer back to it in future posts.

1973_05_31_Pg 8_Truth or Consequences Herald (Obit AM Perrone) .jpg

Garry

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
W.A. Graham was Margaret and August's neighbors on the 1930 census, lot 13,14,15,16,17, of block 63 run from Date street down 3rd street on the north side, lot 3 of block 70 is the corner of 2nd and date
W.B. Mathis listed as notary public on the affidavit was a real estate agent in Hot Spring's for many years.
perhaps she is selling that land in 1944, when she died she lived at 706 juniper, which is the corner of juniper and 7th.
and in the post above, who is mike?

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
BIGSCOTT,

Mike is Mike McChesney (Gollum) and I was referring to Post No. 8 in this thread.:)

I only have the tail of the elephant regarding the real estate that Gus Lesemann identified in his answer to the divorce petition. (Owner, Actual Value, Buildings on the property in 1931, etc. Unknown))

Some interesting stuff you have added to the mix!

How were you able to tie the legal descriptions (Lots and Block) that Gus listed in the divorce proceedings, to the street names?

Is there a plat map of Hot Springs online or perhaps something else you could point me to?

The $15,000 real estate value that Gus claimed was a significant sum in 1931. It appears that Margaret would have been the one addressing the financing and purchase of that real estate. It sounds like the court threw out Gus’s claim to a portion of the real estate. Where did she get access to that kind of money?

According to her obituary she lost the real estate during the depression.

Was the Lot 70, Blk 3 property, the land on which the hospital was located? (From Obit, where the American Legion is in 1973?)

As I mentioned previously we did very limited research in the Deed Records and I’m sure they could paint a much more complete picture of Margaret’s timeline and activities. “Maybe we will try again someday”

Also could you point me to the reference that allowed you to identify the location where Margaret was living when she died (Juniper and 7th)?

Thanks,

Garry

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
BIGSCOTT,

Mike is Mike McChesney (Gollum) and I was referring to Post No. 8 in this thread.:)

I only have the tail of the elephant regarding the real estate that Gus Lesemann identified in his answer to the divorce petition. (Owner, Actual Value, Buildings on the property in 1931, etc. Unknown))

Some interesting stuff you have added to the mix!

How were you able to tie the legal descriptions (Lots and Block) that Gus listed in the divorce proceedings, to the street names?

Is there a plat map of Hot Springs online or perhaps something else you could point me to?

The $15,000 real estate value that Gus claimed was a significant sum in 1931. It appears that Margaret would have been the one addressing the financing and purchase of that real estate. It sounds like the court threw out Gus’s claim to a portion of the real estate. Where did she get access to that kind of money?

According to her obituary she lost the real estate during the depression.

Was the Lot 70, Blk 3 property, the land on which the hospital was located? (From Obit, where the American Legion is in 1973?)

As I mentioned previously we did very limited research in the Deed Records and I’m sure they could paint a much more complete picture of Margaret’s timeline and activities. “Maybe we will try again someday”

Also could you point me to the reference that allowed you to identify the location where Margaret was living when she died (Juniper and 7th)?

Thanks,

Garry

This Perrone woman is interesting. So far, we haven't found anything on the alleged Reynolds character, but Perrone's multiple husbands add a twist to the story - wouldn't it be interesting if we could find a link somewhere between one of the husbands and Noss, Douhthit or Ward? Were any of them Masons? And, yes, $15,000 during the Depression was significant - the equivalent of 750 ounces of gold. All this plus Perrone's alleged abilities with European languages, French and English parents, and knowledge of map interpretation skills seems to expand her reputation of a compassionate nurse/midwife.

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
I know I’m moving out of the Willie Douthit, Buster Ward and possibly the Doc Noss time frame but I would like to try to tighten up Margaret’s timeline a bit after 1940.

By 1940 Margaret’s husband, Charles Harris had died. Her previous husband, Gus Lesemann shows up in the 1940 census back in Socorro County. He is living in Magdalena and he lists his occupation as a gold miner and he is no longer in the picture.

We have never been able to find the marriage of Carmine Fred Perrone to Anemone Margaret Harris. They appear as man and wife in newspapers accounts relating various activities from 1953 up until their deaths. (We have 34 newspaper articles mentioning the Perrones, with many regarding their involvement with WW I veterans organizations).

Carmine Fred Perrone died in 1965 and Margaret died in 1973.

Margaret was still going by Harris in November of 1944 and we have a dead spot in the time line until we find a Warranty Deed dated November 5, 1952 (Book Z) in Sierra County naming both C. F and Mrs. A.M. Perrone.

Perhaps this dead spot could be connected to some of BIGSCOTT’s previous research suggesting a Michigan tie in 1945.

How did they become acquainted and when did they meet, etc?

I’m going to post a newspaper article from the Albuquerque Journal, November 15, 1940. I’m sure this is our Carmine F. Perrone.

1940_11_15_Pg 11_Albuquerque Journal (Suit vs Govt Carmine Perrone).jpg

The problem I have is that I’m not sure where the U. S. District Court mentioned in the article was? If it was a national story the Albuquerque newspaper picked up from another newspaper it would typically contain a credit. If it was the U. S. District Court in Albuquerque, it would mean that Perrone had reached New Mexico by the fall of 1940. Perrone shows up in the 1940 census still in New York. This census was supposed to reflect the status of the individual on April 1, 1940.

BIGSCOTT, Check your PMs.

Garry

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
One of the interesting elements of the Margaret Perrone story involves the introduction of a young boy, Charles Harris.

The following birth certificate is from BIGSCOTT’s research.

Birth Certificate -Charles Harris (1932) -1.jpg

I mentioned before that Margaret was well past normal child bearing age (57) and Charles is identified in Margaret’s obituary as her grandson. We might also note that Charles and Margaret didn't marry for over a year after Charles was born.

An aside; I have an acquaintance whose mother gave him up to another family at birth (1950 time frame). He has a birth certificate listing his adopting parents’ names but it is believed that there is another birth certificate listing his mother that is sealed. The adopting parents chose his given name and he was named after the adopting father. He was a Jr.

This may be the case for Charles also?

It is not a long stretch to believe that Margaret and Charles Ira Harris raised him until Charles’ death and Margret continued to raise him through his childhood.

I don’t have the information in front of me but I believe there is evidence that Charles Harris remained in the Hot Springs area well into adulthood.

He was probably the individual who provided much of the information contained in Margaret Perrone’s Obituary.

I need to follow-up and see what I can find. BIGSCOTT indicated earlier that he felt he may still be living.

It’s interesting to speculate that if the “Jack Reynolds’ Story” has any basis, Margaret would have passed the story on to Charles.

Garry

PS

Another thing that I wish we could resolve is the age of Margaret Perrone.

I have seen nothing regarding her military service except her obit and her burial information from the Santa Fe National Cemetery site.

I know that when a veteran is buried in a National Cemetery, the administrators verify their eligibility. Does anyone know where they retrieve this information? Is that information available to the public?

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When margarets will was taken care of, charlie jr was living in clovis, he also lived in Melrose NM, Roswell, and Lodi oh. he died in 2006.

And then there was Roy Harris not metioned in the probate, I have reason to believe that Roy was older than charlie, other claimants to her estate were a man and his son, she ran over the boy with her car - he was on a motercycle, and a man and a women named johnson I beleive, I dont know what their claim was.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I originally found the approxamate location of margarets hospital by watching Sherry Fletcher, and Cindy carpenters video's, the cenntinial collection from 2012 celebrating New Mexico's
100 years off statehood.

Sherry is supposed to have another book out any day, I think it is called ''The cultural history of Sierra county''

After Garry posted the block and lot numbers I looked it up on sieera.gov.nm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread