So why this mountain?

Drogo

May 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know whiskyrat brought up something about name changes over time for the mountain ranges. And maybe why some of the treasures never got picked up after they were stashed, and why folks now have a hard time finding them.

I had posted where I grew up, I knew places by the folks who lived there. Mention someone's name and everybody knew the place. Today do the same, and you get the deer in the headlights look from folks. They have no clue what you are talking about.

Say you have a map, that shows the X mountains and it tells you where to start to find the stash. Problem.
Is the X mountain the same place it was then or where it is now? If you are not thinking about it, you are in for a long fruitless hike.

And maybe like I had said, why some of the stashes never got picked up. Someone makes a stash, and then a map. Places named on the map are accurate for that time frame. 20/50/100 years later someone else finds the map and looking at it has no clue where the heck this place is as the names for everything have changed and now nothing on the map lines up with current places having the same name.

Funny the things you think of while hanging off a post in the middle of a corn field.

To the problem of name changes you can add the problem of different places with the same name. For example, there is a Socorro, Texas and a Socorro, New Mexico. There is a Picacho Peak in Arizona, and one in New Mexico. And so on.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You know whiskyrat brought up something about name changes over time for the mountain ranges. And maybe why some of the treasures never got picked up after they were stashed, and why folks now have a hard time finding them.

I had posted where I grew up, I knew places by the folks who lived there. Mention someone's name and everybody knew the place. Today do the same, and you get the deer in the headlights look from folks. They have no clue what you are talking about.

Say you have a map, that shows the X mountains and it tells you where to start to find the stash. Problem.
Is the X mountain the same place it was then or where it is now? If you are not thinking about it, you are in for a long fruitless hike.

And maybe like I had said, why some of the stashes never got picked up. Someone makes a stash, and then a map. Places named on the map are accurate for that time frame. 20/50/100 years later someone else finds the map and looking at it has no clue where the heck this place is as the names for everything have changed and now nothing on the map lines up with current places having the same name.

Funny the things you think of while hanging off a post in the middle of a corn field.

The smart thing to do when making a map would be to use the wrong place names intentionally. Lots of variations and possibilities. Of course, an outsider wouldn't know the secret that the in-crowd did.

OP
OP
Dr. Syn

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Victorio Peak is really at least three main stories tied together by one mountain. And each of those stories had/have side stories connected to them.
Each a small jigsaw puzzle, where each small puzzle is part of three larger ones. To finish this puzzle you would have to build each little puzzle, then fit that to a larger one, then once that is complete or near so, fit it into the next puzzle. A puzzle it seems that does not lead to wealth, but to sorrow for those involved.

Part one, would be the placing of the treasure, of which no one can prove beyond the shadow of doubt as to where it came from. Yeah maybe the Jesuits, maybe the Apache, maybe Lizard people, maybe banditos, and so on. Each of those are pieces of the part of the story/puzzle, and maybe even throw in that it wasn't originally placed there. Then you have to look at who/why/when/where, to that.

Then part #2. Doc. A half breed, con man, who just "happens" to stumble onto this place. Was it actually there? Was it part of a con job? Was it stolen from one of his acquaintances finds ? Did some dying Indian give him a map? Did he pilfer someone's map of multiple places?

And then part #3, where's the stuff now? Yes "supposedly" Doc might have sold some, kept some, buried some. Then the Govt. may have gotten involved, and that little piece almost becomes a major part with all the little side stories involved in it alone.

I really think this puzzle will never be solved. Way too many little pieces to find and fit together to make just one part of the puzzle. And that 3rd part may very easily be the hardest one, as those involved don't want those little pieces to be known.

And they can very easily dissuade someone from finding out about those pieces.

So even if you could successfully manage to put together parts 1 and 2 of the puzzle, part 3 will be incomplete, and an unfinished puzzle is not something I would want. Especially when folks unknown don't want you poking your nose in places looking for the rest of the puzzle. :BangHead:

Funny the people we are supposed to put our trust into are the ones we have to watch out for the most.
I'm a little jaded right now, I received a letter from Homeland Security yesterday, informing me that my file with them was part of the latest hacking done to them. Yep my life history, my financials, my family info, all now available to some probably not so nice folks.
Thought it was bad enough when Wells Fargo, then Blue Cross/Blue Shield got hacked and my info there went who knows where, but for the supposed top dogs to let some kid sneak into their site doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No slave labor in 1870s New Mexico, Doc.

New Mexico was technically a "free" territory. But don't let that fool you, there were apparently still Indian slaves out here
up into the 1890's. I'm not saying they were digging in Lake Valley, but its something that doesn't seem to get talked
about very much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread