Willie Doughits Bandit Priest Treasure Caballo Mountains

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WR,

That story is not accurate. Buster Ward was the man that rented the trucks. I have already posted that newspaper article. For many years, there were a billion stories floating around about Willie. Not one ever used the correct spelling of his last name even (shows the level of research done). You usually read it as Doughitt, Dogitt, and a bunch more. It was DOUTHIT. Born in Oklahoma on 27 March 1908 and died on 04 Feb 1998 in San Diego. He is currently buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, CA (about three blocks from my old office). The problem was that Willie kept his new name and the fact that he was even alive a secret. He didn't turn back up publicly until Operation Goldfinder in (I think) 1992. The best info on Willie (publicly) are The Gold House series of books. Everything about him is in Book 1 (The Discovery). I have read a bunch of old stories about the fact that Willie had died sometime in the 1930s. None of that crap is true.

Another funny thing is that even if you had found out his new name, 99% of the general public still would not have found him (before the internet) because he used a very unusual spelling Laurence Foreman (not Lawrence).

It was absolutely not cleaned out, because from Willie's mouth, he said that after things cooled down some (about 10 years), he went back every once in awhile, and brought out a bit.

Mike

Last edited:

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WR,

That story is not accurate. Buster Ward was the man that rented the trucks. I have already posted that newspaper article. For many years, there were a billion stories floating around about Willie. Not one ever used the correct spelling of his last name even (shows the level of research done). You usually read it as Doughitt, Dogitt, and a bunch more. It was DOUTHIT. Born in Oklahoma on 27 March 1908 and died on 04 Feb 1998 in San Diego. He is currently buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, CA (about three blocks from my old office). The problem was that Willie kept his new name and the fact that he was even alive a secret. He didn't turn back up publicly until Operation Goldfinder in (I think) 1992. The best info on Willie (publicly) are The Gold House series of books. Everything about him is in Book 1 (The Discovery). I have read a bunch of old stories about the fact that Willie had died sometime in the 1930s. None of that crap is true.

Another funny thing is that even if you had found out his new name, 99% of the general public still would not have found him (before the internet) because he used a very unusual spelling Laurence Foreman (not Lawrence).

It was absolutely not cleaned out, because from Willie's mouth, he said that after things cooled down some (about 10 years), he went back every once in awhile, and brought out a bit.

Mike

Mike,
well, gotta say i like your version better, cause it leaves something in the cave left for me to find.
I am headed to the east side of the caballos in 4 weeks for the winter.
I have the gold house books and have read them. I will re read the willie portion of them also starting tonight.

Is is possible that 2 different truck rentals occured? both renting 10 trucks? One for the gold removal (crooks) and one for the distraction? (willie and buster to lead people to granite peak?) seems not likely.
If willie went back time to time for more gold, then the 1932 story of the crooks cleaning it out is obviously not true.
would have been a good thing for willie to say, just to keep people from looking for his "empty" cave any longer.

wr

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
well, gotta say i like your version better, cause it leaves something in the cave left for me to find.
I am headed to the east side of the caballos in 4 weeks for the winter.
I have the gold house books and have read them. I will re read the willie portion of them also starting tonight.

Is is possible that 2 different truck rentals occured? both renting 10 trucks? One for the gold removal (crooks) and one for the distraction? (willie and buster to lead people to granite peak?) seems not likely.
If willie went back time to time for more gold, then the 1932 story of the crooks cleaning it out is obviously not true.
would have been a good thing for willie to say, just to keep people from looking for his "empty" cave any longer.

wr

Be careful out in those mountains whiskeyrat, Iam sure there's some nut cases out there running around. If you feel bad vibes,listen to them. Have fun and stay safe,good luck.

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be careful out in those mountains whiskeyrat, Iam sure there's some nut cases out there running around. If you feel bad vibes,listen to them. Have fun and stay safe,good luck.

Thanks dog. I think I feel safer alone in the mountains than in most Walmart parking lots. You talk about crazies. But I hear ya.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So how did the ''city men'' move the gold if Buster Ward was the only man to ever rent any trucks in the 1930's?
If you go to hot springs or hatch and ask the old timers about Willie Douthit ( Dowt - Hit ) they wont know who you are talking about,
But ask about Willie daught ( Dawt ) and they will have a hundred stories for you, Milt Holden and family, and all of his hands knew him as Daught
everyone in the area knew him as Daught, how much real research could or would the newspapers of the 30's do.
he was born in Midland Texas.
operation Goldfinder was in 1977
yeah the farther we get from the original story and as the years go on the facts sure get messed up

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how did the ''city men'' move the gold if Buster Ward was the only man to ever rent any trucks in the 1930's?
If you go to hot springs or hatch and ask the old timers about Willie Douthit ( Dowt - Hit ) they wont know who you are talking about,
But ask about Willie daught ( Dawt ) and they will have a hundred stories for you, Milt Holden and family, and all of his hands knew him as Daught
everyone in the area knew him as Daught, how much real research could or would the newspapers of the 30's do.
he was born in Midland Texas.
operation Goldfinder was in 1977
yeah the farther we get from the original story and as the years go on the facts sure get messed up

I guess I should have specified Goldfinder II in 1992. I thought most here were familiar enough to know the difference.

I highly doubt any "City Men" removed any gold from Willie's Cave. From the looks of things, Buster may have had a deal with Uncle Sam for the gold, but chickened out when he saw what looked like a reflection from a rifle scope from the top of Granite Peak, while leading the convoy there. While he thought it was Willie, I think it could have been any one of several people loosely associated with the men that called themselves "The Guerilla Gang" (Holden Son, Willie, Reese Brothers, etc).

....and yes. Most people that have spent much time with this story have heard all the stories about Holden's Hands making fun of Willie, until he dropped a gold bar on the ground (or in another story a poker table) to prove himself, the kidnappings (although some of the details Willie talked about like being hung up by his scrotum many don't know), Busters legs getting amputated, etc, etc, etc. It doesn't matter what they called him, or how the newspapers misspelled it, his name was Willie DOUTHIT. Willie Douthit/Laurence Foreman was born in Oklahoma on 27 March 1908 (according to his death certificate and the US Birth Death Registry).

In 1930, Hot Springs, NM had a population of 1335 (according to the 1930 US Census). Think two DIFFERENT people rented two different sets of ten trucks without EVERYBODY in town knowing it?

100 Tons of Gold is a decent enough book (one of the better ones), but because it was first published in 1975. Chandler did the best he could with what he had. Because he wrote that before Willie showed back up in the land of the living, he only had newspaper articles and treasure stories to go by regarding Willie Douthit.

Mike

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
David Leon Chandler is an exellent writer all of his books are about conspiracy, I have read them all all exellent books, he knew how to play a con man at his own game
and a storyteller to, if you attack a story before its finished the teller is liable to clam up, he would listen and decide if the story was credible at all.
He finised the book in 1977, and his story about willie came from the earliest interview of all, the Scott brothers tracked laurence down and went to california for
an interview, the Scott brothers said Willie was very credible, but knew he had something to hide.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is better than the old radio show. It's like the commercial break waiting on y'all to come back.:-)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David Leon Chandler is an exellent writer all of his books are about conspiracy, I have read them all all exellent books, he knew how to play a con man at his own game
and a storyteller to, if you attack a story before its finished the teller is liable to clam up, he would listen and decide if the story was credible at all.
He finised the book in 1977, and his story about willie came from the earliest interview of all, the Scott brothers tracked laurence down and went to california for
an interview, the Scott brothers said Willie was very credible, but knew he had something to hide.

So, is Scott your first or last name? HAHAHA 8-)8-) :occasion14:

Mike

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wished i was related to those Scott's, Norman is in his 90's and still treasure hunting wished I could get a copy of that interview
and the one Alonso did, and the one Apache Jim did with Margaret Perrone, My first Name Scott has Been Handed down through the century's
since the estabishment of Fort Blackmore in Scott county virginia, I am going to the Backmore centennial farm celebration this weekend in Canute
Oklahoma, there will be many Scott's there but I am always the biggest, My Fathers name was Scott, and My sons name is Scott, my greatgrandpa was Scott.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wished i was related to those Scott's, Norman is in his 90's and still treasure hunting wished I could get a copy of that interview
and the one Alonso did, and the one Apache Jim did with Margaret Perrone, My first Name Scott has Been Handed down through the century's
since the estabishment of Fort Blackmore in Scott county virginia, I am going to the Backmore centennial farm celebration this weekend in Canute
Oklahoma, there will be many Scott's there but I am always the biggest, My Fathers name was Scott, and My sons name is Scott, my greatgrandpa was Scott.

All you need is five more sons named Scott and and six daughters named Scottina, and you will have caught up with George Foreman, George II, George III, George IV, George V, and George VI, and his daughters Georgetta, Freeda, Leola, Isabella, Michi, and Courtney. You'd better get to work! HAHAHA

I have the full interview Alex did with Willie somewhere on DVD. Oren Swearingen sent it to me several years ago, along with the whole Tony Jolley Interview and a couple of others. I will have to try and find them. I got them two moves ago, and Lord knows where they are now (probably storage). If they're lost, I should be able to get them from Alex. He doesn't live that far from me. I think I also have that Margaret Perrone interview as well. If I can find it, I will post it tomorrow.

Mike

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see those who interviews Mike! I'm happy to send you a bottle of 25 year old spirits for your trouble!

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the georges used to be my trash man when I lived in Carthage Texas, he looked just like his daddy

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First BIGSCOTT,

Here is The Apache Jim Article about Margaret Perrone:

Caballo mnt treasure p 1.jpg Caballo mnt treasure p 2.jpg

I am not certain if you were talking about the recorded interview or this article written from that interview. I don't have the recording, but this article pretty much covers it.

WOW. A trash man. Not even counting his boxing money, they sold over one hundred million (100,000,000) George Foreman Grills. If he got just one dollar from each sale, all twelve of his kids should have their own businesses and reality shows! HAHAHA

I would love to see those who interviews Mike! I'm happy to send you a bottle of 25 year old spirits for your trouble!

Soooooo, you are willing to trade me a 25 year old Genie in a bottle? Is she cute like Barbara Eden at 25? WOWOWOW! We might just have a deal. HAHAHA If you're talkin' about booze, we'll see! Some ages better than others. Twenty-five year old Macallan Highland or Don Julio 1942? You're on! HAHAHA

Mike

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you would be suprised what trash buisness brings in, George was real qiet and easy going, and for this alot of people around town would pick on him,
a couple of times he had enough, and ended up in jail. I'll be willing to bet he's still there running that buisness.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOOOOOH! You didn't say he owned the business. I thought he was just a trash man. I have a customer that owns a waste disposal firm called NASA. The guy is a billionaire.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One man garbage is another man treasure. There is money in recycling

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread