Willie Doughits Bandit Priest Treasure Caballo Mountains

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hadn't heard the rumor or theory that it was buried on Oak Island, so that may make it unique.

That or it's one HECK of a long tunnel.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are many theories as to where Willie got his gold, as it is well documented that he did have gold at some point.
Willie did tell some people that he got a map from some priest's or nunn's from mexico, but that is only one of many stories he told,
most believe that he shot a young boy in the back and took his treasure map, you need to read through the victorio peak forums, there is alot of info there.
There is also a Willie Doughthit forum.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscott,

The most likely reason that Willie/Laurance never gave up the location of that cave is probably that there are several bodies/skeletons in there. Jack Reynolds (the boy you are talking about), the Loriuses and Heberers, another skinny kid they caught stealing bars out of their cave, and who knows how many others. Even when he was on Death's Doorstep, he would not give up that cave.

Willie said there were over 2,000 bars of about 40 pounds each in his cave.

Mike

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Timeline : Jack Reynolds, and Margaret leseman 1925

Many stories from citizens of Hatch new mexico
about a young boy finding gold in the mountains
making one final trip never to return 1928

same citizens saw military trucks moving gold
out and headed ''south'' 1928

Willie seeks assylum from Las Cruces Sheriff 1929

Willie leaves New Mexico says he will be back
when it once again legal to own gold 1933

Doc arrives in Hatch 1935

Lorius Heberes car found in Dallas Texas the two
couples traveling together never heard from again 1935

Doc is living in Gallup and Albiqurque New Mexico
and is selling gold 1936

Doc discovers the cave in Victorio peak 1937

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the military moved any gold in 1928, then it wasn't from Willie's Cave. After Willie left NM in 1933 for San Diego, he stated a couple of times that he went back every once in a while to get more gold after things cooled down.

Lokiblossom,

It doesn't relate in any real way to Oak Island. Maybe in someone's theory it does, but not in any evidentiary way.

Mike

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah I didnt know what charlie was talking about, but now i see, why is this under oak island, where did you hear about willie and oak island? i would like to know

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All were citizens of hatch all said the same thing, the boy found the gold then disapeard, then the army showed up and hauled all the gold off,
all said it was 1928, all were actual citizens of Santa Barbarita, and rodey, I have checked, Santa Barbarita is in the exact location of Hatch, and Rodey is a little south
Rodey had a promenent church for years, the Franis De Sails I believe it was, and was the Catholic headquarters in the southern U.S.
I allways kinda wondered if this wasn't where Jack Reynolds found his map.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just thought of a connection between gold in the Caballos, and Oak Island........................Franklin Delanor Roosevelt

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a new Thread on T-Net they are finding lots of stuff on the mainland close to Oak Island.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I just thought of a connection between gold in the Caballos, and Oak Island........................Franklin Delanor Roosevelt

FDR was part of an Oak Island team when he was young. That way-out-there T or C writer (White) claims FDR was also in the Caballos but I'd bet he dreamed it up - based on the malarkey that fills his books and videos. However, FDR's Gold Act of 1933 may well be nislink to the Caballos and many other "treasure" sites.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That make me wonder. I've heard of stories about my place. People said it was the Governor's play ground along time ago. Make think he was looking for something.. I'm looking forward to to next story of you guys.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

mann

Aug 22, 2010
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
All were citizens of hatch all said the same thing, the boy found the gold then disapeard, then the army showed up and hauled all the gold off,

Another variation is Buster Ward hired the trucks to haul out gold but got cold feet no pun intended He then laid claim to a spot close to where Drolte,s hole was now Tesoro de alma. But that's just another version as I believe Gollum has stated before most if not all folks from that amazing era are not around anymore. I have a different opinion than some but I believe Willie was the first to find treasure and everyone else came after. It is hard to believe he never told anyone else prior to death but many have spoken to him before the end so they would have a better understanding than I. Excuse my intrusion please continue

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
well mann , still at it eh ?

for facts on that Treasure

nothing beats the old Treasury Department investigation of it , Willie is mentioned in them , over and over .

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MANN,

The story you are referring to is when Buster Ward rented a truck in Hot Springs and told everybody that he was going to use it to haul the treasure (gold bars) he and his friend Willie Douthit had found in a cave in the Caballos. THAT part of the story is documented and true.

Albuquerque_Journal_Sat__Jan_23__1932_.jpg

The rest of the story is that by the time he went to go to the cave, the Police had shut down the area, but Ward had a caravan of trucks following him, and crowds following on foot. When he got near the site (so his story goes) he saw the glint of a reflection from the top of Granite Peak, and he just knew it was Willie Douthit looking at him through the scope of a rifle, so he pretended like he couldn't remember where the cave was.

Mike

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
MANN,

The story you are referring to is when Buster Ward rented a truck in Hot Springs and told everybody that he was going to use it to haul the treasure (gold bars) he and his friend Willie Douthit had found in a cave in the Caballos. THAT part of the story is documented and true.

View attachment 1204608

The rest of the story is that by the time he went to go to the cave, the Police had shut down the area, but Ward had a caravan of trucks following him, and crowds following on foot. When he got near the site (so his story goes) he saw the glint of a reflection from the top of Granite Peak, and he just knew it was Willie Douthit looking at him through the scope of a rifle, so he pretended like he couldn't remember where the cave was.

Mike

"Hi. I'm Buster Ward. I'd like to rent that big truck from you. You see, my pal Willie and I discovered seven tons of Spanish gold bars up there in the Caballo Mountains, just south of Hot Springs. We'll be going in there in a couple days. Now, don't you tell anyone, OK? It's a big secret you know, and we don't want anyone else to know about this. Got it?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread