HarryLime

Greenie
Oct 29, 2015
Levelland, Texas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Judge Hulon Moreland passed away last December in Levelland, Texas. He was 97 years old. In the early 1960s, he witnessed the army loading trucks at Victorio Peak.

Roger Snow has mentioned that Judge Moreland also saw strange lights at the peak. I'd love to hear more about that, if anyone has any info. In her book Phantom of the Caballos, Rebecca Taggart wrote about witnessing bizarre lights that appeared in the mountains.

My grandmother grew up on a farm next to Moreland's and knew him all her life. He was a farmer who studied law in his spare time, eventually passing the bar. Other lawyers hated him because he never went to an expensive law school. My grandmother said he was always a very handsome man--just before he died, she told him he was still the handsomest man she'd ever met. He was in a nursing home the last year or so of his life, but still put on a suit every morning like he was going to the office.

Moreland tried to convince Congressman George Mahon to help the Noss family get back onto the peak. Mahon latter became a powerful politician. Interestingly, in 1964, shortly after Mahon's involvement with the army and Victorio Peak, he became a regent of the Smithsonian Institution--an organization some people claim suppresses artifacts that don't match up with the Officially Sanctioned Version of history.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real, Amigo:coffee2: :BangHead: you know the ones that don't use batteries.:alien: np:cat:

Last edited:
OP
OP
HarryLime

HarryLime

Greenie
Oct 29, 2015
Levelland, Texas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's a good question! My own family has witnessed something similiar to the lights. My great grandmother saw strange balls of light pop up out of the ground on the family farm in West Texas. This was in the 1920s. The family was out on the back porch one evening when they saw glowing orbs about the size of baseballs pop up. "Kids," their dad said, "I don't know what that is, but maybe we better go in the house." The lights continued to appear all that summer.

The subjet's always fascinated me since I was a kid. I've heard about treasure lights--many cultures around the world believe the lights are a sign of buried treasure. Some people think they're what disembodied spirits look like when they manifest into our world. Other people say it's related to UFOs.

I don't know the answer, but I do believe the phenomenon is real and I love to hear the stories about it.

OP
OP
HarryLime

HarryLime

Greenie
Oct 29, 2015
Levelland, Texas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I checked out Mike's thread on the subject and learned a lot. Thanks for directing me to it. Very interesting, well thought out theories.

I've also read about the Marfa Lights of Marfa, Texas, and some of those stories strike me as verging on the supernatural. I guess some people might think I'm loco, but I seriously wonder if there's an aspect of the lights that's spiritual in some way. For example, an older lady who lived in Marfa all her life told how her rancher father got caught in a snow storm one night. He was lost and in danger of freezing to death when the lights appeared. The woman claimed the lights somehow communicated with her father--telepathically, I guess. They led him to cave where he waited out the storm. Of course, maybe the story's just nonsense--but I still wonder about it.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Levelland
some of my old stompin grounds, drilled a few wells there, was born in lubbuck but moved to Shallowater where my dad started a bank, which is still open today
some 54 or so years later, then took over a bank in Seagraves, which is also still in operation, and one in Portales New Mexico, I will have to ask my mom if she new Judge Moreland
I did a little research on him and find him living many places.

OP
OP
HarryLime

HarryLime

Greenie
Oct 29, 2015
Levelland, Texas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good to know you, Bigscott. I like how you list your occupation, great line from Desperadoes Waiting For a Train--one of my favorite songs.

Unsolved Mysteries interviewed Judge Moreland for the episode they did on Victorio Peak. I can't find the episode online anywhere, though. Moreland's daughter lost her old VHS copy of it and would like to see it again, if anyone happens to have recorded it.

I'm actually from Ropesville which is about 30 miles from Levelland. Let me know if you're ever back in the area, I'd love to talk treasure hunting with you.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can view that episode on youtube or the Unsolved myteries website, in the book ''The Treasure Hunter'' W.C. Jameson
says Ova hired him and a man named Blake, and a man named Garrish, and a man named Mendez to go to the Peak and check
the Army's goings on.
In the book 100 tons of gold Ova had signed affdavits from, Ray and Bob Bradley, H.L. Moreland, and Ray Bradley saying they saw the army mining the peak.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sorry, not on youtube anymore, and the Unsolved Mysteries website only lets you read about it, I have some episodes recorded but not that one
you can watch some of them on hulu, and tv.com, but you have to know the episode number.

OP
OP
HarryLime

HarryLime

Greenie
Oct 29, 2015
Levelland, Texas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I haven't read the Jameson book--I'll have to get a copy. The second Gold House book gives a pretty good amount of detail on Moreland's involvement. I've read 100 Tons of Gold and I thought the most interesting part of it was where it talks about the Apaches and the "gray ghost"--probably a former confederate soldier.

Youtube must have taken down the Unsolved mysteries video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread