mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal opinion is that most published treasure stories are not "untrue" - the problem with treasure legends, is that they get twisted, changed, have a bad case of "telephone/telephone" (that game we played as kids, where you tell someone something, and by the time you get to the end of the class, the whole message has changed).

The trick to treasure legends is that - at some point - something was probably there to start it - and finding its origin and the real facts - that is the problem.

The folks who can do that.........................sometimes get results.

Beth

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
mrs.oroblanco said:
My personal opinion is that most published treasure stories are not "untrue" - the problem with treasure legends, is that they get twisted, changed, have a bad case of "telephone/telephone" (that game we played as kids, where you tell someone something, and by the time you get to the end of the class, the whole message has changed).

The trick to treasure legends is that - at some point - something was probably there to start it - and finding its origin and the real facts - that is the problem.

Beth

Absolutely - that's why the famous legends are unsolved, at least to the satisfaction of most. Unless you can get to the protagonist himself, it's guaranteed that you will be working with disinformation, whether intentional or otherwise. Of course, the protagonist is likely deceased (but not always), so if you get 'good' info, you have to be lucky enough to find personal notes, a journal or family information. This, of course, is essentially impossible. Yes, the legends were presumably sparked by some event, quite possibly radically different than what people later believe with all their heart.

In the Noss case, the man was a convicted of horse thievery in OK and convicted of practicing medicine without a license in TX - and this was before he served prison time in NM or got involved in treasure hunting and/or scamming in Hot Springs (T or C). Then we have his lucky deer hunt in Hembrillo Basin in 1937 and the soap opera that's been dragging on ever since. It's difficult for me to swallow that his descendents would be able to shed light on the 'truth' of the legend, but I'll probably pony up for the new book and see what they have to say.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Connecticut Danny said:
I agree with #66. Most publish treasures stories are untrue. That is why I am seeking unpublished stories about Connecticut treasures. [email protected]

Not to discourage you Danny but un-published stories are a minefield of true and false too. The one benefit with the published stories is that you can often check them out. Many are documented, with some effort you can find it. Un-published stories can be of the campfire or saloon variety, made up on the spot to entertain or fool the listeners, then gets passed along and there is no basis of fact. I think if you will research the published lost treasure stories you may well be surprised at how many really are true.

Good luck and good hunting Danny, I hope you find the treasures you seek in Connecticut.
Oroblanco

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beth

I agree with you 100%.

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if there were any updates by sfloto about his exploits in the Caballos. It's been an interesting read and I'd like to know if any progress has been made on their cave/possible cache site.

Scott
Scott if you still around, I would also like to know.

purchase

Oct 12, 2008
I was up in the Caballo's a few weeks ago and I want to see the Doc Noss hole and I got met by One of the Brothers and he told me that I cold not go down and have a look at the hole because it was a private camp.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
No, the spot just down from Timber mountain where they are building a tent city that they forgot to mention in their mining claim application that was expedited due to being able to avoid an environmental impact study since they are doing so little there, like shipping the "ore" to Oklahoma and keeping less than 5 gal of gas on site (yeah, right...) If they intimidated you in any way, you should let Sheriff Baca in TorC know: neither smugglers nor miners nor treasure nuts own the public's land! That being said, its common courtesy to avoid active digs, especially if asked politely.

purchase

Oct 12, 2008
No but he did threaten me and I don't take threats lightly. So I thought I would ask him if he had one of these which came off my claim in the Caballos DSC_0004.JPG and of course he said no. But he did not even know what the bar was. So I just continued on to the Taggard mine

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up in the Caballo's a few weeks ago and I want to see the Doc Noss hole and I got met by One of the Brothers and he told me that I cold not go down and have a look at the hole because it was a private camp.

One of the Brothers...as in compass and square

ring holder?

The Rose mine is about 200 miles from where you are talking about.You people really should do a little accurate research into this.I have lived around this area most of my life and have spent alot ot time in those mountians,The Doc Noss Gold is long gone. The goverment took it, They said they would check it out then let the Doc back in but when he returned all the gold was gone.
Do you seriuosly think the goverment would leave it there for a citizen to claim? Hell no they ( like always) took all everything they could get their hands on.

OP
OP
S

sfloto

Sep 27, 2008
Bradenton Fl
where did anyone talk about "Rose Mine"
"I have lived around this area most of my life and have spent alot ot time in those mountians" What mountains? Caballo or Victorio Peak?

sfloto

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very interesting topic. A few thoughts.
If I found a HUGE cache similar to this, I too would lie about its whereabouts, and maybe stash some findings at another location to be found later by someone else to encourage the story. Say blast the place shut and file claims fighting for it even. While taking the treasure from the real site under the radar.

I think a key to getting to the truth here is with the Noss family and their income. What kind of life did they live before the find, during the find, and after they lost the find? There children(not sure) or relatives now who would have been beneficiaries. Is there evidence of continued wealth through the next generation within the family. How much was originally taken, what was it worth, what did they do with it? Sell it at that days price? keep it stored?

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
Just got back from there. You've got no idea what's going on there. However, let me put some photos of the cache signs that I found, and yes dowsing of a sort was involved. 20170923_105510.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions