Information on Culpeper/Orange Area

HuntingVa

Jan 28, 2007
Orange, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer xs
I live in orange right near the orange airport and also voulunteer on Rapidan Fire Department and have lived in this area for about 9 years. I started Digging about 3.5 years ago and have a good collection of civil war relics. The reason im posting this is i would like any information on local spots. I have permission from the inskeeps who own cedar mountain and i dug my first cannon ball from there(12 pd solid shot about 200 yds behind union lines) i also have a small area in the wilderness on private land i dig where most of my collection has came from. Any information on camps especially near clarks mountain would be great or where exactly was the camp on Mt. Sharon (lees winter camp 63-64) i would really like to dig out a hut site if anyone would be interested in coming with me they would be more than welcome i can bring anyone to cedar mountain but i want to find some new spots any leads are welcomed even rumors you may have heard
Thank You very much HH, Adam Schienschang

curtismstang

Jun 30, 2008
Louisa County, VA
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
HuntingVA,
I live in Louisa County near Lake Anna and if you ever need any company in the upcoming warmer days on a hunt I'd love to tag along. I've only been digging for about 9 months now and have a hard time finding places to go. I have had some good luck on some private property in Amelia County near Sailor's Creek battlefield I have permission to hunt. Just a lot of bullets and a barrel ring so far.
Kevin

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adam,

I took a look at a few CW maps of the area. It looks like the entire northeast face of Cedar mountain would be good for relic hunting.
According to the map, a large body of Ewell's troops were near the foot of the mountain due west of Mitchells Station (August 9, 1862). Hill's troops were just to the north and west of Ewell. Some unidentified Confederate troops and artillery on the higher ground of the northwest side.

Union artillery was positioned along Cedar Mountain Rd (Rt.649) facing south and west with Union infantry between them and the mountain. Lots of other troops in the area but those seem to be closest to Cedar mountain. Plenty of troop movement (both armies) along Cedar Run as Confederate troops fell back to the south towards the mountain and Union troops persued.

I found Mt. Sharon Rd a few miles south of Clark's mountain but _no_ mention of Mt. Sharon or anything similar in the CW records. I'm guessing it was called something different back then or had no name worth mentioning. Maps show lots of Confederate earthworks in that area. Still looking...

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread